Your Favorite Stitches Per Inch?

I just blundered along on the largest stitch per inch (7 or so) and I have come to really like it. Having said that, I have started experimenting with doing a smaller stitch per inch (9 or 10) if I'm doing a lot of pointy stuff. The bliss is sooooooo smooth that I feel I need that smaller stitch to accentuate the points. And having said that, I'm doing something today without pointy points and I'm back at my 7 stitches per inch and checked it out and it looks way good!!! Just my way to do things.

I agree with Heidi - I find that for my freehand quilting, I like at least 11 and up to about 14 SPI. I've used longer SPI for straight work, like piano keys, or SID, but when I try to do curves or pointy stuff, it just doesn't look as smooth. Then I have to frog it for sure. And I don't want to keep messing with stitch length within one quilt. I prefer it all consistent, so I get better results above 11 SPI. ;)

i do 9 for SID - and 12-13 for everything else. someone told me this when i first started and i have just always done it this way.

i will add - now that i do occasionally turn of my stitch regulator i like the look of a larger stitch in some instances. of course, i never know what that is until i make a mistake and see it!

Archived