Violets and Lattice Work and How To

Georgene

I used the Circle Lord (Waves and) Zig Zag template to quilt this top. The customer who made the quilt originally wanted custom, but due to price and the fact that she's a prolific quilter, we came up with this design that reminds me of a garden lattice fence, which fit with the flowers. I was told once, when working with a lot of florals, look for something geometric to complement them.

Now, to let you know what I learned when stitching this design onto the quilt. I haven't always been able to get the lines to line up so nicely. But it went very smoothly with this quilt. Here's what I did:

I always stitched each line in the SAME DIRIECTION -- even though I went back and forth.

For instance, to make this design you must use the spacer at the end of the template. And then you stitch either even or odd rows.

Holes 1 and 3 -- ODD rows

Holes 9 and 11 -- EVEN rows

So in hole 1, I would stitch all the odd rows by first going left to right, then right to left, then back again.

When I'd move the template to hole 3 to stitch those same odd rows, I'd do the same (starting left to right). When I moved to the EVEN rows, I did the same. In other words each row was stitched in the same direction, so the pull of the quilt was the same, or at least close.

You see, when you finish stitching all the odds or evens, you are positioned to start stitching from the right, but, instead, I moved my machine to the opposite end, so I could always start from the left.

I hope this makes sense.

post--13461906346436_thumb.jpg

I love your quilt. :D:D:D:D I just received my CL Zig Zag and Swirlz boards and have been looking at this design. I have not set up my boards yet but would like to ask a quick question to clarify how you did this. I'm trying to learn from this board before I get to the machine this weekend. So you....

1) You stitched all the odd zig zags from left to right in hole 1.

2) Then you moved the board to hole 3 and did the odd zig zags

again from left to right. Always returning left to stitch the

next line.

3) Then you stitch the even zig zags in hole 9 from left to right. 4) Then you move the board to hole 11 and do the same thing,

always stitching left to right.

When I talked to Michaell on the phone to place my order he suggested stitching all positions of line 1 before moving to the other lines. Your way sounds like a little less movement and may be easier.

I have been admiring your quilts on this board. You've done some amazing work. I'm hoping I can be half as good as you are!

Thanx for the help!;)

KathyD

HQ Avante 18"

Originally posted by kathyd

So you....

1) You stitched all the odd zig zags from left to right in hole 1.

2) Then you moved the board to hole 3 and did the odd zig zags again from left to right. Always returning left to stitch the next line.

3) Then you stitch the even zig zags in hole 9 from left to right.

4) Then you move the board to hole 11 and do the same thing, always stitching left to right.

When I talked to Michaell on the phone to place my order he suggested stitching all positions of line 1 before moving to the other lines. Your way sounds like a little less movement and may be easier.

KathyD

HQ Avante 18"

When stitching the ZZ's, I stitched row 1 left to right, then I stitched row 3 right to left, then I stitched row 5 left to right.

Then it was time to move the template to whole 3. But instead of leaving my machine on the right, I moved back to start stitching row 2 from left to right, then row 4 right to left, then row 6 left to right.

I do stitch all rows of hole 1 before moving template to hole 3. And I stitch all of those rows before moving to hole 9, etc.

It would be so easy to show, but not easy to write. Sorry if it's confusing.

Georgene,

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I thought that was how you were doing it when they didn't line up. It was late and I must have miss read. Thank you!

Anything I should be aware of when lining up the next row? I'm hoping to get to it this weekend. I'm going to try it on a fleece first. Then maybe on a quilt. I agree with you it does accent that floral fabric very well.

Another beautiful quilt and a free lesson all in one.

Enjoy your day!

KathyD:cool::D:):D:):cool:

Besides consistency with the direction of stitching, it's possible and likely that the following three factors helped the zig zags line up better, so I wanted to share these thoughts as well.

1. Batting -- Dream Blend -- not anything puffy, but rather flat.

2. Taughtness -- I probably rolled a little tighter than most, but I usually do.

3. Thread -- So Fine. I think a thicker thread might accentuate where the lines don't quite touch.

This is so awesome! And I do have this board. But written instructions blow by my addled brain, I am much better, visually and hands on. Wish you could teach a "live" online class. You would make a great CL youtube instructor!!!! Or you could plan a trip to Hawaii????

Just beautiful!!! Really like how you used the Circle Lord, I think I will take the plunge and order the special that is going on with Michael!!

Thanks for sharing the pic's and info, make us so inspired!!:):)

Archived