NQR - closet related

It has taken me more than a week to clean my side of our bedroom closet. It is a nice walk in with build-ins in the center. I got bankers boxes and started sorting by summer and winter and by SIZE. I just finished today and here is what I have - sizes 16-14-12-10-8-4. Somehow I skipped a 6 and there are only a few 8s. I can not sell them as I plan to get back in each size again. Am I the only one who does this? Be honest now. I have discussed the width of my considerable butt in the spirit of being honest. They say that getting it out on the table is first step to getting healthy. (tomorrow).

Thanks Sylvia, this shows that there are many of us out here.

I gave away my 6's a looooooong time ago. I just did this myself...put all my 8's in a clear, see-through ventilated bag in the top of my closet. Now all I have are Large, some medium, and everything else hanging in my closet. I told DH that if I did not get into that 8 bag within one year, the whole thing was going to charity. I'm tired of having to sort through to find something comfortable to wear. I'll accept a 10 for the rest of my life. When I need a 12, it's time to get serious and get moving! I will NOT wear a 12! That's my limit.

This is what works for me. I know there are those who don't fit this frame...I'm not binding this on anyone and I don't think ill of anyone just because of the size they wear. (I have a lot of fluffy friends.) I just want to encourage a life style of eating and exercising to stay fit and healthy. Feel good about who you are, don't focus on what size you are. If you desire to change, then do it. Find what works for you. Don't look down on yourself in pity...don't feel like it's hopeless so why bother. Just make up your mind to change, have a positive attitude, take baby steps to get started, and work hard to stay on track. A well-known fanatic says, "If you can't run, walk. If you can't walk, then get down on the floor and roll! Just MOVE!"

Nuff said...sorry to get on my soapbox again. I hope it will encourage even one person to make that decision.

Boni

I believe it is very healthy to have a wide range of clothing, sure beats the heck out of continuing to buy new clothes every season. I have lots of small summer clothes and lots of larger winter clothes and I just kind of bing bong between the two or three sizes. I won't say what they are bc I am fairly petite, most dont think I should complain, but no matter what size you wear you are unhappy and uncomfortable with yourself it is time to do something about it. Right now I am about at the top of my range and will be starting a diet soon, if I can just convince myself to do it. Losing weight is not a problem for me ever, it is just making that decision to start. I put it off and off and off until one day I make up my mind and then I do it!! Just wish the maintenance programs were better, have done WW numerous times, met my goal and about 18 months later I am right back where I started, UGH!! Anyone have any maintenance plans that work????

Again, this is what works for me. I weigh every day and keep a journal. Every month I run the figures and it's quite obvious if I have gained or lost. I make note of "feasts" or splurges. If the numbers go up, the next month I know where to cut back in my eating, or I step up my walking to one more day a week. If the numbers are down, which they rarely are, I am happy. I don't do rewards...my reward is being healthy and content. My goal is to maintain.

Jeanne, I agree that it is healthy to have a wide range of clothing. And what clothes you keep in the extreme ranges should be outfits that you enjoy wearing and look good on you.

B

For me, I have the slowest metabolism in the world. Since I was 20 I have had to keep my daily calorie count to around 1000 calories or I put on weight. The longer periods of stress are the hardest on me. Since I am petite and my friends laugh when I say I need to lose 5 lbs, I won't go into what sizes I have in my closet. Just say that I got rid of anything 6 and over and will never allow myself to be that heavy again.

Maintenance programs for me are keeping active ( I don't workout, my daily life is a workout) and eating sensibly. By this point in my life I unconsciously know if I have overdone it. The next day I go back to normal.:):)

Guest Linda S

Sylvia - for one thing, I don't have any closets in my house! :( It was built back in the era when you were taxed by how many closets you had, therefore I know my builder was very cheap. I've got an armoire in my room and a small wardrobe in the spare room, but that's it. I had weight loss surgery (gastric bypass) four years ago yesterday. I too had just about every size clothes available. As I lost weight, I donated all the big ones, except one pair of (sadly) size 20 jeans. I will never wear them again, but want them as a reminder. If my clothes start getting tight now, I know I have to reign in the eating, because I AM NOT buying bigger clothes again. Just ain't goin' there!!

Well, the sizes I have mentioned above represent jeans or crop pants and tops. Many many have the tags still on them. Just 3 years ago I wore the 4s. Yes, not that long ago. I take several medications that are what is called weight positive - it encourages weight gain. Also I have arthritis so my right hip and knee don't always agree with too much exercise. I know I sound like an old grandma but - well, it is the truth. I am not giving away those clothes and buying more. As I lose, I will open a new box and slip into my "new" ones!

Sylvia, I want to encourage you too. This shows my weakness, and I am humbled. About 6 years ago my youngest daughter left home. I went through a two-year depression. (This forum helped me during that time and I am grateful.) I started having issues with arthritis, couldn't run like I used to, almost gave up kit and kaboodle. It just took time grieving to get through it, but I never gave up. I sort of went into retreat mode and gave my body a rest. I started eating healthy, walking (yes, just walking), and even though my hands are still arthritic, my hip doesn't scream as loudly, and I can walk with a little jog now and then.

It sounds like your attitude is leaning towards a positive outcome. That's a good thing. I hope you mean that you'll be off the medications soon? "As I lose" is a positive statement! That means you are doing something! Stretching and yoga-type exercises are really good for arthritis sufferers. and any exercise helps too. We don't want our joints to sit idle, freeze up, and become useless. We've got to move them! Thank you for starting this thread. I've been wanting to clean out my closet for a long time. Now I know I'm not alone.:)

My meds are meds for life, I am afraid. My body doesn't make the right harmones and such that it once did. I am actually allergic to several of my meds and the other meds are to counter act the side effects. Yes, I am allergic to myself. When I think about it, it is actually funny! NOT:P

Congrats Linda on your success and your courage. That's quite a step to take. While I am lucky to never have gotten to the point of surgery requirements I have had more than my fair share of pounds on me. I'm 10 years thin now and count my blessings. One site I use right now is myfitnesspal.com It's has a great food journal page and helps me keep things under control.

As to clothing - I keep 2 pairs of 'fat' jeans for the winter and if I need to pull them out I immediately take charge of my eating and exercise. Otherwise, I have given all my larger clothes away. I do find it difficult to buy my real size though. My kids girlfriends go shopping with me so I get clothes that fit - otherwise I always come home with a size too big thinking it might shrink and they shake their heads. Since I started running this year I have not lost pounds but did lose a size and a 'cup' to my husbands dismay. Makes me laugh and now my shirts button better. Life is Good.

Jeanne, I love your new avatar pic. Sylvia, I kept clothes, hoping to get back into them, but never did... that is until I gave them away. My weight has fluctuated too, but about 5 years ago I bought the Turbo Jam dvd's and have been doing them ever since. I'm the thinnest I've been since college and can eat just about anything I want ( within reason of course). I pretty much follow a lean protein, veggies/salad/greens, and try to limit the bread/carbs, but I do have my sweets. Hershey's dark chocolate chips are always in my freezer. Also doing weight machines at the YMCA has helped. I think the weight training/machine work has helped strengthen my upper back, meaning I can quilt longer and maybe better. I used to walk about 2-3 miles daily, but began having hip joint pain. The turbo jam works all the body and I do it all low impact. I have better weight management with turbo jam than I ever did with walking.

I am with you Sagebrushquilter. Why not donate and shop at thrift stores? Good brand names and everything in my closet has already been worn no matter where I bought it! It is not a matter of not being able to buy new, it is the principle of not bleeding from an artery for the fashion industry!

Read this with interest,,,, I had gained much weight thru peri menopause, now that it's allmost over, weight is coming off....My therapist and I had this conversation, and he was wise....If you like it , and you can wear it, keep it...If not, don't....AND If you are losing weight and really working at it, then don't expect to love all those old clothes in your closet, buy some new ones, stylish ones, great clothes to show off your "new" size. I've lost a lot, and thrown out the 3 top sizes, feel better about working hard when I see a few new things. I find I'm not spending too much for just a little treat for me. Donating feels good too.:) Pat

I keep 3 different sizes in my closet. One is the OK it's time to watch what you eat again. And one size needs to be donated as I will never be that small again. I used diet supplements to get that small and will NOT do that again. I used to do the if I haven't worn it for a year donate it. I haven't done that lately.

About a year ago I had to stop my exercise program due to a BAD hip injury that affected my shoulder too. Recently I started swimming again, the first 2 weeks I ate everything in sight but these past 2 weeks I've been being much more careful with my eating habits and have lost 2 pounds. I have 10 left to go and right now my determination seems to be very strong.

I'd like to not have to go clothes shopping for this coming winter. My clothes that are in good shape are the middle size and I'd really like to get back into them come September/October.

Good luck to everyone, try your best, smile, and remember we're all here to support each other.

Ok, I'll let the cat out of the bag. I had weight loss surgery last Monday. Sylvia and Heidi both know about it. I have sorted my closet by size and as I go down I will get rid of the larger sizes. I will buy thrift store and probably make a few things that I can take in easily. When I get down to where I want to be I am going to buy me a few, high quality classic pieces. And then I am telling my husband I want a set of mikimoto pearls.

Anyway, I am down 25 pounds and am already off 1 of my insulin medications. My other insulin (fast acting) -- I was taking about 100 units a day -- now I am doing no more than 30 units a day.

I had the vertical sleeve and have not had one problem -- not even any pain pills in the hospital.

I know it is a very controversial issues but for me it was really all I had left. No matter how well I followed my diet my diabetes was out of control. It took me 3 years to make the decision but now I am very glad I did.

Sylvia, I love the show "Clean House" and one of the pieces of advice that they give to people whose houses they are trying to get in shape is to only keep 3 sizes of clothes. The size that you are wearing now, one size up, and one size down. In reality, most people don't drop mutlitple sizes quickly and by the time you might get down to that size 6, that outfit is going to be out of style anyway. Right now, I only have 2 sizes and I am struggling to fit into the smaller of the two.

Sandra I'm glad to see you posting. I'm thrilled that your surgery went well and that you are feeling so well! Keep up the good work and getting off all that insulin will be so good for you! You'll have to post pictures of the new you! Of course that wonderful personality won't change one bit...I'm sure of it!

Archived