sergers

Guest Linda S

I also have the Babylock - whooosh! and it's threaded. It is expensive, though, but threading is the worst thing about sergers.

I have a Janome Compulock and is wonderful. I bought it because it does the coverstitch (like the hems on t-shirts). However...I sure would like to have that jet threading one. Whoosh is a much better sound than the sound I make whenever I'm having trouble getting it threaded. I sound more like GGRRRRRRRR!!!!

I have a Janome serger, 11 years old. Paid $115 for it on the sewitsforsale. Works GREAT, smooooth, quiet :o)

You DO NOT need to thread a serger more than ONCE, you just tie the threads onto the ones already threaded-raise the foot and pull it through.

I think it's a waste of money to buy a serger that "threads" itself when it doesn't even need to be threaded but once anyways....

jmo, Amie :o)

That's true most of the time Amie, but sometimes it comes unthreaded and it can be a pain to get those lower loopers rethreaded or as in my case the other day, I changed colors and I changed from a overlock to a cover stitch and I had to take one looper out and rethread the other one through different channels. It's not something I do everyday so it took me a little bit to get it all like it was suppose to be and purring along. I do tie onto my previous colors when I'm changing colors. I even do that for my LA.

It's not as hard as the dealers who sell the self threaders say though. I was a nervous wreck when I got my serger bc I had heard all the nightmares but threading isn't all that hard...to me. I'm glad I learned bc now I can do it, but 99% of the time I just tie my thread onto the one that's already there. Never had a thread jump out before.

jmo(like youknowwhats, we all have one, lololol!) amie

u tube has videos on how to thread them. I always forget how to do it, and then I can't remember where my cd is on how to do it. Did a search one day and voila' there it was on u tube. :) Also Nancy's Notions has a cd set of techniques for sergers. I have them on my wish list, but haven't gotten them yet.

I have a Pfaff coverlock, 7-10 years old. Works well, one of the reasons I got the one I did was because it has a display that tells me what to change from one stitch to another. I also tie new thread on to change colors, but do have to rethread some times because of different stitch or the thread breaks and needs to be rethreaded. Just like any other machine, once you learn how to use the different features (threading) it isn't as bad as it feels the first few times you use it.

Judge your purchase on the features needed for the ways you will use it, more than just to get features that don't fit in your life.

I bought my MIL a serger and, bless her heart, she NEVER did learn how to thread it, regardless of the diagram I drew inside the cover for her or the step by step instructions with pictures I put beside it. I would thread it...she would sew until she broke a thread and there it would sit until I could rethread it for her. She was in her 80's and it frustrated her endlessly. She was a candidate for a "whoosher" for sure.

Originally posted by Linda S

I also have the Babylock - whooosh! and it's threaded. It is expensive, though, but threading is the worst thing about sergers.

I have the Baby Lock Imagine & purchased it because of the "whooosh" and it's threaded" part. You can catch the Baby Locks on sale.

I think the best bet in a serger is an industrial one. They're very straightforward...they serge and they do it efficiently. They are made to last a lifetime so it's perfectly fine to buy used and you'll spend much less than the top of the line whoosh machine. Space limitations have forced me to a home serger and I think it's all the safety features that make it so hard to use. I know there is a cutting blade there, I don't need a machine engineered to keep me away from it when it keeps me away from the needle too...sheesh, sometimes that thing needs to be threaded. The downside is they only serge, if you're looking for the coverstitch you'll need another machine for that. My opinion, look for a good used industrial Juki.

Well, I have the Baby Lock Imagine and really love it. Not only because of the air threading, but also because I don't have to fiddle about with adjustments when I want to go from one stitch type to the next. I also have an Elna serger with the cards that let you use many different types of stitches. I did use it quite a bit, but the shaft vibrated so much that it sheared off and now has to be repaired. The threading on it was a nightmare and the varied stitches with the cards were confusing....so now I use the Baby Lock and have NEVER regretted getting it.

Oh...by the way... I purchased it on eBay as a very little used machine and the price was more than half of a brand new one!

I have a White, very inexpensive, had it for about 6 years. A keeper for sure and I have an old Champion that I've had for about 20 years. Works great, never had a problem threading either one. If the lower loops are a problem use very thin length of copper wire, doubled (use about 12 inches) place the wire through the holes then the thread in the wire loop and pull. Works very well, and cheap! Learned that little trick working in a sewing factory in the early 1970's (I'm older than dirt!) LOL

I have used the Babylock to attach zippers to my leaders. It has a cover stitch, and a chain stitch. I just used the chain stitch to put the zippers on and pull one thread to take them off. My older Husqvarna does a cover stitch too but it is complicated to change everything to make it work.

I'm still sewing on my White Superlock534. But my dream is to have the Babylock Evolution. It does everything! I'll never get it though. ($$$$$) You make the decision based on how much you're going to use it, what you want it to do, and go from there. I would probably start with a used one if I had the money.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived