Stitching In The Ditches

Ok Super Quilters.... I'm a bit confused regarding SID.

Do we SID in every line of a block?

Do we only SID around the part if a block we want to stand out more? ie: star points, flying geese, pin wheel.....

Do we always SID on borders btwn body of quilt and border?

On multiple borders, do we SID in every border?

What about sashing?

I know everyone says they SID to nail a quilt down, do you do the whole thing then go back and quilt or do you do it row by row, section by section? There is so much to learn!!!! Thanks for the lessons past and future to all who help everyone so much!

Shar

Hi Shar!!

You make the call!

It depends on--

Your customer's budget.

The look you are going for.

Whether you are able to SID accurately (nothing will draw the eye quicker than stitching jumping outside of the ditch!)

Whether the top has been pressed correctly for SID (if you have twisted seams, hooo baby--disaster ahead!)

Whether you have thread changes--if you are using invisible thread or a neutral blender that you won't be using in the blocks, do all SID first, I guess.

Some will say that SID is the bones of quilting.

Lazy people like me who have customers on a budget will say that SID is not necessary on every quilt.

That said, if I leave an area like narrow sashings or borders unquilted, I do SID those for continuity of design.

Sequence of SID-ing?

Again, it may vary with each quilt. To SID each important seam and each block, start at the top and work down. Or, if you pin-baste accurately, you can SID border seams and come back and do the blocks. Keeping square with each advance is important. I do a full float--works for me--and can isolate wonkiness in one stitching field and deal with it before advancing.

SID is easy with horizontal seams and no so much with verticals where you must advance to follow the seam. Again, careful stabilization with pins can be a big help.

I'm not sure if I answered your questions!

Guess I could have said--"Depends"!!:P

Thanks Lindas and Ardelle! I read on the chat all the time about SID and just never could come to a consensus about where, how much, and when to do it. Apparently there aren't any hard nor fast rules I've been breaking or ignoring for that matter. I still need training wheels to achieve good results at this stage. So far I still jump out of the ditch while stitching, I haven't found the right thread yet either. I'll keep at it!:o

OK I have to say my first thought was, "Yeah what Linda said." Then I read Linda C's response and said, "That is what I was going to say." Then I read Sylvia's response and I thought, "Yup, yup, yup." LOL

No hard fast rules just depends on the look your are going for and how much your customer wants to pay. For my personal quilts I like to SID most the blocks but there are a few times that I don't do that. I think SID really gives a quilt good bones and makes the most of a finish but you have to do it well. Like the wise one said, "any stitch out of the ditch is going to show." LOL

Thanks Heidi too! What is the best thread to use? I've tried the "fish line" stuff and hated it! I've used Sew Fine and Bottom Line but still have issues with some of the thread showing, especially when I miss or the color isn't just right. I think I've read some use silk thread, where can one purchase silk thread?

Try Wonderfil's Invisafil. It's 100 wt polyester. I just used it recently for the first time and I loved it so much I ordered a whole set.

SID is tough for me too. It's hard to stay in the ditch. I personally like the YLI monopoly and use that whenever I can.

I only SID what's on the row in front of me. Get that whole row done before advancing and starting over with SID again. I've tried SID the whole quilt top and then going back to fill in. It works on small quilts, but not bigger ones. The bundle that rolls up on the front roller can get big fast with all layers sewn together.

Yep on all of the above, most of the time, I just SID the area I am working on first, then fill in detail and roll the quilt forward and SID the next section....But, if you try to do the background first, you will end up with crooked lines to SID so always do all SID before the backgrounds....

Shar I usually use SoFine or Metro on top. I've heard really good things about invisafil but haven't tired it myself. I've also heard good things about silk thread. Superior has great silk thread. Just take your time and go slow and try to relax. Oh and if you want an invisable thread try Maderia monolon. It is very thin and not as shiny as some of the other stuff.

I'd add it depends on your fabric also.

I am working on a customer quilt made of silk duiponi - full of textural slubbs - they make little lumps here and there that can throw the hopping foot. The silk is slippery, so it makes the seam line not stay put. Also make the seamallowances twist. No, it has not been much fun!

I am learing the hard way that sid does really have to stay in the ditch, and I am not very good at this but by the time I finish this monster quilt I hope I will be a little better at it. I can hit the ditch going in some directions it seems easier than others and depending on the how the seams are ironed underneath really makes a difference as well. My thoughts are live and learn and that is what I am doing now. I am now Half way thru a large quilt and then I will go back and do the background fills in the blocks. Hopefully by the time I get to the end of the sid I will be better at it for the next time. At least I will have learned about getting the seams to be ironed all in the same direction!!:D:cool:

Would stitch in the ditch be the best way to quilt a jelly roll quilt? Or would an all over panto be better?

This quilt is king size and the jelly roll rows are all horizontal. I am a newbe and have not tired stitch in the ditch on anything yet.

Originally posted by slluboch

Would stitch in the ditch be the best way to quilt a jelly roll quilt? Or would an all over panto be better?

This quilt is king size and the jelly roll rows are all horizontal. I am a newbe and have not tired stitch in the ditch on anything yet.

Nononono! That way lies madness!!! Oh....was I shouting?:P

Let me re-phrase...If you are a novice at SID, using that technique on those jelly roll quilts will either elevate your SID skills to intermediate level in just one quilt, OR you will run crying from the room in frustration and maybe never finish it. Too strong?

OK--my advice is to practice an overall design on that type of piecing and hone your freemotion skills instead.

Another idea might be to squiggle in the ditch on this one. Just a back-and-forth wavy line on top of the seams and it will look great.

I guess what I am getting at is that SID is an heirloom/custom technique that requires practice and patience and the jelly-roll-race quilts, as neat as they can be, do not generally deserve such an intense treatment. (That's a big quilt to try to SID as well.)

Good luck, Sabrina--I don't want to discourage you on your journey, just warn you of the pitfalls...:D

Originally posted by slluboch

I love jelly roll quilts and have done several but never in my wildest dreams would I SID - to me, they are a "have fun" type quilt. They are perfect for pantos, fun free motion, whatever. I love putting one on when I just want to relax and go for it - no matter what you do, it will look great!!! To me, they are the newbie's dream - learn new things and have fun!!

Stitching in the ditch and making it look fabulous is a very difficult task. Probably one of the hardest things to achieve.

That said, I avoid SID unless I have to do it. Most times my customer quilts do not require SID. I would do it on mine if I wanted it to really add the WOW factor but it's not a necessary thing to do. Most customers just want their quilts quilted together and looking pretty. They don't care if it has SID. And really they don't want to pay for my time to SID on their quilts. SID is nice but not necessary. And you don't have to SID every seam; just what you think accentuates it best (if there is a solid backer to show all of your hard work!!!!

PS I had a customer a few months ago that had all these tiny pieces and about 200 photos (no exaggerating) on this quilt. She wanted me to SID all of the photos and piecing. I talked her out of that idea... (((whew!!!) :P

Oh, and in the end, I did a stipple meander around her photo quilt and it turned out fabulous. She got a blue ribbon (and grand champion!). Here's a part of this quilt with Kelly It's amazing. It's a "must see in person to appreciate" quilt (not for my quilting but for what she did with it) it's truly spectacular! Truly one of the most awesome quilts I have ever seen.

Do you see Kelly? That's mom. She made this quilt for her daughter graduating from college. She spent about 1 year putting this together. You need to grab a kleenex to wipe away the tears as you look at (and read) this quilt. It is an amazing piece of art (no joke) It was her 2nd quilt she ever made. Kelly is floating on a cloud in this photo. :)

post--13461906677304_thumb.jpg

For threads if I'm using cottons I like either 50 wt Presencia or Fil-Tec's Cario. For poly So-Fine, Bottom Line, or Fil-Tec's Perma-Soft (no sheen and looks like cotton). I don't want the thread to stand out.

I do alot of SID on custom quilts, I think because most of the quilts I get are very traditional and it just makes the block designs pop and accentuates the piecing. I rarely use it on more contemporary quilts.

Wow! This is like reading a major research paper on SID! So many thoughts and resources. Only two things I can add. Someone asked where to purchase Madeira Monofil -- www.columbiariverquilting.com has it. Second, it is impossible not to wobble once in a while, when doing SID; so when you wobble, do it on the side of the ditch that the thread color will show the least.

Joan thanks for giving Vicki the info on purchasing the monolon. That is where I buy it as well.

OK for SID - yes it is a more difficult skill but I have to say that it is one I'm glad that I stuck with. I know I'm probably in the minority but to me SID is what gives qiults that extra punch to make the blocks and quilting really shine. I agree that if your customers aren't going ot pay for it then don't waste your time on it unless you are going to get something out of it. OK now how do you stay in that darn ditch. This is what I do. First I use Deloa's Little One ruler. I love the feel of it, it aids in lining things up because of the 1/4" parts of the ruler that stick out. It is my all time favorite ruler. Diagonal lines are by far the hardest for me to do and I find that using a ruler is essential. You also have to make sure that quilt is well pressed. For straight lines going either horizontal or vertical I will often use my left hand on the quilt sandwich and my right hand to guide the machine. I can go slowly and apply some pressure with my left hand to make sure I stay in that ditch or create drag on the machine so it can't just go off on its own. Just practice and you'll get it. When I was a newbie it was the first thing that I learned to do. LOL I was a hand quilter and I craved that hand quilted look. I didn't know that it was going to be hard on the longarm but I stuck with it and now I don't think it is any harder than anything else, just takes time because you definitely need to slow down.

Archived