Buckeye Beauty Quilt Using Rope Ruler

The perfect quilt came this week to try out my new Deloa's Rope a Dope Ruler. The quilt blocks are called Buckeye Beauty, and this quilt is made from a group block exchange. Annie chose to ask members to use primary colors in the blocks, and she provided the white background fabric. She'll use it on her and her husband's bed as a spring and summer quilt.

post--13461907109473_thumb.jpg

This is the 1-1/2" rope ruler. I also bought the 3" size, which is big enough to use in a border, and you can quilt things inside of each rope, such as small flowers. The smaller ruler worked out fine, after a few trial runs, but due to its small size, it is more challenging to keep in place while you quilt. I found it easier to have the stitch regulator off, because the machine moves smoother so it doesn't bump the ruler.

post--13461907109906_thumb.jpg

I love your quilt !!!It is so colorful and I love your rope sashings!!!I used the ruler on a QOV in the sashings too.I have the 3 inch ruler and got the corner ruler too!!Found out the hard way that you can only draw the markings for the corner ruler!!!Its not thick enough to quilt around!!!!!

Originally posted by IBQLTN2

Great job on the whole quilt and especially the rope design looks wonderful, was it pretty easy to do? I read the instructions and wondered if I would get messed up with it or not. Probably like anything once you get the hang of it, well its easy peasy!!

I wouldn't say it was easy to do. It has been the most challenging template I've ever worked with, and I do a lot of template work. But, that being said, the ruler is well-designed, and once you get the hang of it, it works well. The trick is keeping the ruler stable in the spot where it is supposed to be, especially for the 1-1/2" small one. One thing nice though, is when you do so many of them, all the little imperfections disappear when you are done. I do have the Ruler Mate Base on my machine now, and I'm sure this would have been more difficult without it. Also, you must have non-slip grips on the bottom on the ruler.

Archived