wool bugs

i have searched the forum and did not find this topic. i have several bags of wool batting (no names here) and pulled one bag to use and noticed random 1/4" bugs inside the bag. I haven't had the nerve to actually open the bag. think i'll wait until tomorrow when i can take it outside. i'm afraid the inside of the batting will be crawling with these little creatures. is this just part of having wool batting? i guess when I reorder (IF) I'll open the bags and take the batting out immediately. what a drag. I checked the other bags, and yep, there they are. some are dead and a few are alive. The bag isn't crawling with bugs - just a few visible when looking at bag. yuck. any suggestions on what to do when i reorder (IF) wool batting. And yes, this is one of our major brands, not an off brand.

Another yikes!! Wool batting (according to the Smithsonian Textile Conservation website--guess where I've been?) can easily become infested by wool moths (in the larval stage they are tiny worms) or many members of the beetle family (in the adult stage they are like tiny ladybugs the size of freckles). These include carpet beetles. They say an infestation needs to be handled by professional fumigation. Can we all say "Yikes!" again?

That's the shell of a little critter known as a carpet beetle. I don't know where he went but this package has holes in it and that's how he got in. I don't buy or store wool batts any longer.

The article I read says they don't feed on cotton, silk, or synthetic. Mainly wool, fur, feathers, lint, etc...

post--13461907534779_thumb.jpg

A couple of options for protecting wool batting is to store it in a cedar closet or with moth balls. It needs to be in a clean, dry and protected location at any rate.

I used to worry about moths with my wool batting, until I switched to Quilters Dream wool. It has no noticeable smell, and has been thoroughly washed and combed. That doesn't mean it can't get bugs, but I rest easier now.

How long have you had the bagged wool, newmillie2010? If you just got it recently, perhaps you could obtain a refund. I would call the source and discuss the problem and see what they say.

ok, here's the scoop ... took the package OUTSIDE and opened it. NO BUGS INSIDE the batting. And yes, carpet beetle. There were only 4 -5 (OK, maybe 6...) of the critters on the outside of the batting. I read up on this and it's no big deal - as long as I don't have a huge invasion. Most of us have carpet beetles and just don't know it. oh well. anyway, I'm glad it wasn't a whole army of the things. I think the take-away for me is that I won't be purchasing BAGS of wool batting from anyone. I don't believe this particular vendor is more prone to this event than any other. If it's wool in a package, it's probably going to attract some bugs. Thanks for posting the picture Boni ...

A couple of years ago a friend of mine purchased a quilt/comforter from a large national chain store. You know the kind where you can buy clothes, furniture, appliances, etc. This quilt/comforter had been made in the orient somewhere, at one point my friend decided to run it through the wash. When she did the backing became a little translucent and she could see that it was loaded with dead bugs. That quilt went right into the trash. I hadn't thought about it until reading the above posts. Fortunately I've never visitors, maybe it's because I use cotton/poly blends.

And yes, carpet beetle. There were only 4 -5 (OK, maybe 6...) of the critters on the outside of the batting. I read up on this and it's no big deal - as long as I don't have a huge invasion. Most of us have carpet beetles and just don't know it. oh well.

I've seen these critters before, mostly the empty shell, and yes they are common. I'm pretty meticulous about vacuuming and dusting in my sewing areas, but I do find them in other parts of the house. It does disturb me when I find them on my wool batting. DH wears wool shirts in the winter and I have found little holes in them from year to year. I dry clean them as soon as spring arrives and leave them in the plastic over summer. I'm determined to starve those little monsters.

I would assume that our batting suppliers do everything they can to exterminate bugs and such. If there is a problem, I'm pretty sure we will know via social networking like this.

I have bought little traps for the "closet moths" or flying stage of the critters that lay the eggs that become the larva that eat the wool (that live in the house that Cynthia bought). They are 3-dimensional triangular boxes that are sticky inside and armed with a pheromone disk. The little devils come looking for love and become inextricably trapped (optimistically before they can lay the eggs, etc.). They seem to be protecting the wool garments in my clothes closet.

I have a roll of wool batting in my shop, recently went to cut some of it and there were holes right through at one end where moths had eaten it. We had had it in stock for several months unpackaged.

I will use it for my own quilts but will store it in the freeezer for a week to kill off any remaining beasties. If you store wool batting I think you need to put pheromone traps or chemicals with it to be safe.

Archived