She wants custom on this tiny quilt...any ideas?--DONE W/PICS

My dear friend bought 4 of us a piece of fabric in Paducah to make a "challenge" quilt by our December guild meeting. The fabric is beautiful (blue batik with silver metallic trees) and I'm afraid to stitch over it. This little quilt is less than 18" square, the scottie dog is about an inch tall to give you a feel for how tiny her applique is (and she did a wonderful job of that), and she wants me to custom quilt it. Any ideas would be deeply appreciated as my time to quilt it is running out (meaning I have to get it done this weekend)! You'll get to see mine next week as I haven't finished the quilt top yet (also another "this weekend" have to do)...all I have left is the applique and ya'll know how much I love (er dread) the "a" word. Thanks in advance for input...please...pretty please. :)

post--13461907709147_thumb.jpg

You could do a McTavish-ish thing for the snow on the ground to look like "difts"

Depending on how much custom she want and how much time you want to give it -- the snow balls of the snow man could be pebbled (sized in proportion to the section of the snow man -- getting larger as you go down the snow man)

Outline the brown tree -- maybe add a few lines of defintion to the branches

"swirly" windblowing type meander or a random snowflake type meander in the background

I'd use clear thread to outline the inner border, and all applique' patches, including the eyes, arms, etc. I'd use the same thread to create some definition to the snowy hillside, by moving up and down with the 'grade'.

Since the area inside the inner border appears as a 'closeup', you could do large windy sky swirls in the closeup, changing to smaller scale of the same in the outer border. When doing the swirls, I'd create some that go directly between the snow woman's outstretched hand and the dog. I'd also create some special swirls on the ground beneath the dog, to bring her out -- she looks pretty forlorn and lonely there by herself.

OMG I love Scottie dogs! :) This one is adorable.

I like Heidi's advice to outline the trees and then do a small stipple in the darker blue background to make the trees pop up 3-d. Can you cut out a few circles of batting and stick those underneath the snowpeople? That would be trapunto. Spray baste it onto the fabric underneath so it doesn't move around. That will make the snowpeople 3-d. You can get some silvery or white thread to quilt snow landscape in the white area. So cute! Can't wait to see what you do with this. Please share finished photo

Done. Trapunto'd & outlined the snowpeople, dog and tree (extra in the tree), swirls in the snow, SID around the piping, and windy looking stuff blowing through the trees. She wanted snowflakes somewhere so I put 2 1/4" ones in the border. Quilting doesn't show much. My picture taking needs improvement, too. Thanks for the suggestions!

post--13461907713376_thumb.jpg

Awww, very nice! I really like the way you did the swirls in the trees.

Maybe I have a warped sense of humor, but I keep looking at the little scottie dog and thinking, does he belong to the snow people, or is he contemplating whether they'd be a good place to lift a leg!:D:D

s.waits, I'm gonna tell her what you said about her Scottie dog because she will get a kick out of that. She's coming today to pick it up to get it bound in time for the meeting. She said the pattern she "used" was actually a full life size quilt and she shrunk it down to these tiny snow buddies. I think she's still going to do some embellishing with buttons, too.

Archived