Wow I learned a lot today

I finished my second quilt today. I learned lots of things today and solved lots of issues, that's about the only thing that kept me going.

I learned how to use tension gauges and to set tension.

I learned I lose every pair of tweezers and scissors while trying to work.

I learned how to frog:(

I learned that the machine sounds different when your bobbin runs out.

I learned I need more bobbins, identical thread so I don't have to rethread after winding my one bobbin that is empty.

I learned how to reposition my computer after the bobbin runs out

I learned how to use Renaes side clamps

I learned I need a high stool cause my legs hurt!!!!

I learned how to keep myself from screaming when things keep going wrong.

I learned my office looks completely trashed after a day of quilting.

It was an adventure:)

I'd say you are way ahead of the game...it took me more than two quilts to learn all of that!

My hint for you is to get one of those clip on things that you can hook your scissors to your body with. I couldn't live without mine and wear it all the time. I sometimes go out with my dogs and it's still hanging on my shirt. Someday they'll find me impaled by my scissors because I forgot they were there and I fell down...oooh it doesn't sound pretty does it. Anyway, get one of those and that'll check one aggravation off of your list!

Merry Christmas!

I got one of those super sticky hooks and slapped it on "gator", scissors are always close. I used to have them hanging around my neck until I stabbed myself in the boobs (ouch). Be careful, quilters have been known to sew sissors, tweezers, thimbels, needles, pins etc. into quilts.

Gread job, I do love your list!!!

Originally posted by Gator

I got one of those super sticky hooks and slapped it on "gator", scissors are always close. I used to have them hanging around my neck until I stabbed myself in the boobs (ouch). Be careful, quilters have been known to sew sissors, tweezers, thimbels, needles, pins etc. into quilts.

WOW!!! You have learned a lot!!!:P

We have a sticky hook on the front and the back so scissors are handy on either side. We also quickly learned we wanted 2 pair of the small, curved embroidery scissors to hang on those hooks. They are super for trimming threads close

Originally posted by cblevins

Originally posted by Gator

WOW!!! You have learned a lot!!!:P

We have a sticky hook on the front and the back so scissors are handy on either side. We also quickly learned we wanted 2 pair of the small, curved embroidery scissors to hang on those hooks. They are super for trimming threads close

Me, too ! Curved scissors on 3M hooks front and back of Millie. I tried hanging them around my neck but was always stabing myself. :o I haven't noticed any change in sound when my bobbin runs out - except for the grumbling by the operator that I quilted that whole section without bobbin thread !!!!!

Hang in there.

Sounds like you got the basics down!;)

A hint on the bobbins. Order extras. When you start a new quilt, wind one bobbin and use it up. Once you see that your threads are going to play nice together, then wind several so that you have one waiting when you empty one. That way you don't end up with 10 bobbins wound with thread that doesn't want to behave with your batting, fabric, and top thread. :)

Gail,

The thing I hook my scissors to is a Fons & Porter retractable leash. You can find them on Joann.com just search Fons & Porter. It works great for me, that is until I impale myself on it someday! I can see where hooking your scissors on the machine would work great also. When I am pressing a quilt top, though, it's nice to have my scissors on my body, then it's right there for trimming stray threads. Just my humble opinion.

Well you had a great day in terms of lessons learned. Thank you for sharing your list. My scissors hang on my upfront laser light post.

I learned a new lesson over the weekend. If you are missing any tool you have used to either cut threads, bury threads or frog, find it before you doing any more quilting or you might be frogging again and praying your customer's quilt doesn't have a hole somewhere caused by the missing tool.:D

Originally posted by Bekah

Well you had a great day in terms of lessons learned. Thank you for sharing your list. My scissors hang on my upfront laser light post.

I learned a new lesson over the weekend. If you are missing any tool you have used to either cut threads, bury threads or frog, find it before you doing any more quilting or you might be frogging again and praying your customer's quilt doesn't have a hole somewhere caused by the missing tool.:D

Thats where mine hang too - well 2 or 3 tiny pairs..... and a couple on the table too!

Archived