New to long arm quilting

I just got a used Millennium about a week ago and is she a big girl (I call her April). I have to say that this group forum has answered all my questions and helped so much. I even adjusted bobbin tension today for the first time :) I also have the TOWA tension gauge ordered and on it's way!

I've been practicing all for about 5 days so far, having so much fun!! I know there's a long way to go, but I am seeing progress just in 5 days, think I'm bonding with April and getting to know her.

Just wanted to say thanks to those asking the questions as well as those that answer. It is unbelievably helpful to a newbie like me!

Here's a picture of my practice from today (if I can add a picture correctly) - I was pretty pleased. Of course this is the only thing I can do, but in time I'll be able to do more.IMG_0284.JPG

Originally posted by Gator

WOW, you are doing great!!! At 5 days I was still doing e and c. Welcome, and bring on your questions and suggestions.

Ya, see that's the thing. My e, l and c's don't look anything like e,l and c!! But I know some day they will, just not today. And I do practice them every day. I tried a pantograph and oh my, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to do them. Some said it's like first learning to ride a bike when you were all wobbly. That certainly does describe my pantograph. But that's ok, I really love the free hand stuff so much more. Practice, practice, practice. It's never been so much fun!!

Thanks again to all who make this a really great forum.

Originally posted by Anette D.

Your five-day feathers are better than my five-year feathers! Maybe I should call it quits.

Just beginners luck for me I think. I have my first "real" quilt on the frame now. I started in my DSM and finishing it on the long arm. It's for me so I can live with all the mistakes I make. I don't think my family will see me for a while :)

Originally posted by crazyforpurple

that is beautiful :) Congratulations :)

I got my millie about a week ago too and am just starting my practice :) Are you working through Karen's book or another to practice?

I have a couple of books that I used when I started FMQ on my DSM, that's what I'm using now. What is Karen's book is it good? I'm always looking for good recommendations on books.

Guest Linda S

Well, you may have just gotten a longarm, but you are obviously not new to quilting. Just knowing how to make those shapes shows you have some experience with them. You will love working with your longarm. Enjoy yourself and keep up the good work. It's the rare individual who can take to a machine so quickly.

Originally posted by Primitive1

Welcome and wow, you are a natural!

I'll have to take a look at that one. I do have a Karen Mctavish book but it's the Mastering the Art of McTavishing. I also have Dian Gaudynski's Quilt Savvy book and Judy Woodworth's Free Motion quilting. The book that inspired the feathers was Kim Brunner's Twirly Whirly Feathers. The there are like a gazillion you tube video's. My family won't let me watch them in the living room any longer :)

You may have a new longarm, as Linda said above, but you must have some experience either with a mid-arm or on a rental to be so good.

It looks like you are having a great time and have a good eye for design placement--your feathers are great!

***Please clarify your experience so the other newbies don't give up in frustration and envy!:D;):D***

Originally posted by ffq-lar

You may have a new longarm, as Linda said above, but you must have some experience either with a mid-arm or on a rental to be so good.

It looks like you are having a great time and have a good eye for design placement--your feathers are great!

***Please clarify your experience so the other newbies don't give up in frustration and envy!:D;):D***

This is my first experience with a long arm. I have done a lot of free motion quilting on my Domestic Sewing Machine (Pfaff Creative Vision). These feathers I do way better on my DSM than on the long arm. But it's the repetition that allowed me to do them on the long arm. I must have done about 15 of this pattern on my DSM, and then of course I drew them about a dozen times before even trying to stitch, so they are imprinted in my brain. I've been doing free motion on my sewing machine for the last 5 years or so. I certainly don't mean to frustrate anyone that was not my intention at all. Very sorry if I did.

Archived