Roses In Bloom Quilt

It has been almost 2 years since I started this applique/embroidery quilt made of all batik fabrics. There are 103 appliqued/embroidered blocks and 18 pieced blocks. I made it for my son and DIL and was able to finish it just in time for Xmas this year! This feels like such a HUGE accomplishment and I am very happy with how it turned out. Luckily the colors worked well together since my son's favorite color is blue and my DIL's favorite color is orange. I added the blue sashing between the sections of blocks for two reasons....I thought that it looked a little bit boring without it and I needed to make this quilt bigger than the original pattern. They have a queen bed with the tall mattress and box spring so in order to have enough quilt hanging off the sides to cover the sheet and blanket, I ended up making it 104" x 106" and as you can imagine, it completely filled the leaders on my 10 foot frame! I had about 2" of extra backing on each side so I had to be careful when quilting in the borders because I would hit my clamps if I wasn't paying attention.

I used a 3.5 needle, So Fine thread, bottom line in the bobbin, Superior monopoly, and Isacord variegated thread. My main "tools" were my Itty Bitty ruler, Linda Rech's crosshatching rulers (which I LOVE!), Mindy Casperson's Swag Rulers and Deloa's appliquide (which I can't live without :D).

I hope you like it. :) Thanks for looking.

6591578991_af7423c895.jpg

100_1912 by fluffy_mar, on Flickr

6591584365_8631c36b45.jpg

100_1914 by fluffy_mar, on Flickr

6591586951_19b8938ecb.jpg

100_1915 by fluffy_mar, on Flickr

6591596593_ccdf0a08ea.jpg

100_1919 by fluffy_mar, on Flickr

6591605323_e151fef787.jpg

100_1923 by fluffy_mar, on Flickr

6591607577_0f02ebe27d.jpg

100_1924 by fluffy_mar, on Flickr

6591598625_7eb33599cd.jpg

100_1920 by fluffy_mar, on Flickr

6591594009_2999847e47.jpg

100_1918 by fluffy_mar, on Flickr

Marilyn,

You really outdid yourself on this quilt -- I'm glad to hear that your son and DIL are in awe! It all looks perfect -- the piecing, the applique', the embroidery and the quilting. I especially love the towering flowers and also the twisting leaves quilting on the blue border near the edge. :)

Carmen, this is a pattern by Smith Street Designs and the name of it is Roses In Bloom. You will find it if you do a search for Smith Street Designs. It came out a couple years ago. Be prepared to make a stencil for each little part and you will do a LOT of tracing on heat and bond and then lots of cutting.............ask me how I know! ;) I didn't think I was ever going to get it done and I'm betting that it will be a LONGGGGGG time before I tackle another one this putzy. :D

Wow and Wow and WOOOOW!!!! That is just perfect!!!! You did a fantastic job. I know the designer of Smith Street Designs and she would be thrilled to see this!!! I'm going to try to share the picture with her. Your color selections are so beautiful!!!! Yes it should be entered in some competions for sure!!! So glad you have a DIL that appreciates your talent!!! That's a treasure too!!!

OK Dear Marilyn...you better have this quilt with you when you come to sew with me today. (You promised!) I am so lucky that it put their luggage overweight and they decided to let you hand deliver it in a few months when you go see that new grandbaby that will be arriving.

Ladies (and gentlemen) I would like to add to Marilyn's post about this beautiful quilt. This was an embroidery project that was started at an embroidery retreat for a local quilt shop and I was the instructor:):) I have seen this project done in a small wall hanging, and several completed twin size quilts. The pattern has instructions for several sizes and a couple different styles. Marilyn's color choice is absolutely stunning but I have not been shown a bad color choice yet.

Smith Street Designs has so many great embroidery applique project patterns available for both machine and hand embroidery and/or applique. Check out their website and then visit your local shop to purchase. I have been fortunate enough to see several of the hand embroidery projects after completion also and have personally done at least six of the machine embroidery projects. Smith Street makes applique so simple and gorgeous. They have some really nifty redwork embroidery patterns also for hand or machine. Most of the patterns I have done have also had quilting suggestions included:)

Archived