Cutting tables

I had mine made too. Much easier and cheaper. I made a frame base and put a nice 4' X 8' plywood on top. My carpenter friend put formica on it so it's easy to clean. I got my 60" cutting mat top top so I can rotary cut and measure the quilt tops. If you make your own you can make it the height you want. I made mine higher so I don't have to lean as much. Much easier on your back.

I have a Horn cutting table. It is three sections; the middle part is stationary and there are 2 leaves (one on either side) that open up, or you can open just one. There is also 1 drawer under the stationary section. I have a Horn cabinet for my Bernina that matches, "honey oak" is the color, but they also come in white (like in my LQS) and maybe now in additional colors.

I really like my table & cabinet. Previously I had the table from JoAnn's and it was not nearly as stable and nice as the Horn products, although there is a huge difference in the price, too, to be considered.

When we decided to go to a laptop, I had a computer desk that was 48" x 60" but was not tall enough to stand at and cut.

So I made 6" high risers to raise the desk to the proper height, put a 48"x60" cutting mat on it and presto a cutting table. The keyboard drawer serves as a place for rotary cutters, scissors, blades, etc..

GeoTech

I got really lucky at a auction a few years back. Bought a beat up oak wood double sided desk with a fake leather top for $5. No one else bid on it because it was really scratched and beat up. It is 60" by 60" and has 12 drawers, 3 on either side of both sides, plus the 2 smaller middle drawers inbetween. I had to clean it (mouse poopy, spider webs and all) That was really YUCKY!!!!! Then sanded and refinish it. Took me all summer. I also added a new phleather (fake leather) top over the wood. Also added 6" wooden risers to make it higher and it looke great. Plus it holds LOTS and LOTS of quilting supplies! It was a dirty job, but whatta buy!

My DH built my cutting table. It is 4x8 with a plywood top and a 4x8 alvin cutting mat. Underneath I have roll-out storage from the container store that holds my entire stash, etc. The table is on little ball rollers, so I can easily move it. When I'm not doing a big project, I keep the long dimension next to the wall. When doing something big, I rotate it so the short dimension is next to the wall and the long dimension sticks out into the room. It is GREAT. If anyone is interested, I'll post pix.

We recycled a friend old kitchen cabinets, they were to nice to throw away. There are 3 cabinits all together. 2 normal size, one was where the sink would go and one with drawers and cabinets. Then a 3rd longer one that is AWESOME, on side has 5 drawers and the other side has a cabinet and drawer.

Hubby made a top ( a little to high ) it is around 5X8? I took pics and ment to post them and never did. I'll have to hunt up the camera and see if I can load them.

Takes up tons of space but is oh so nice!! I still haven't organized my sewing space to fill it up proper. LOL.

Michele

We made a huge cutting table with two 9x9 "cubicals" (those cube-shaped shelves they sell at HD, or Lowes or target with the folding fabric boxes), two 2x4s and a sheet of MDF. Altogether its 49"x73", with storage underneath thanks to the bookshelves! We spaced the bookshelves so that they were about 1.5' in from the edge of the table, then attached the 2x4s to the outer edge of the tops with screws to provide a truss for the MDF, then screwed the MDF into the top of the bookcase. Clear as mud? The whole thing was about $125-150.

it's really solid, but the height of the table is based on the height of the bookshelves, and can be a problem if you're short. I had Ben make me a short platform (a square of 2x4s with ply on top) to raise me up a bit if I was going to be working for a long time. If you don't have enough space to walk around the entire thing, you might consider cutting it down to be more like 3' wide, since it can be hard to reach all the way to the other end. If you want pics, I can see if I can upload them.

Pat: I made one using an old desk. Put risers on the legs to raise the top to 36", attached a 2" filler to one side of the top to make it 60" x 30", and then cut a 1/2" sheet of MDF the size of the new top. attached the MDF to the desk top, and laid a 60" x 30" cutting mat on it. It doesn't fold up, or roll away, but it's sturdy, and since I already had the desk, the cutting mat was far and away the most expensive part of the project. Jim

Archived