computers and APQS

So, I have a question. I am considering adding a computer system to my longarm in the far away future, but am in the beginning steps of researching. I know most of you use the IQ system, but is that the only system that works with the millineum, or is it just the best in your opinion?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Leslie,

You'll never be sorry you added a computerized system. My machine is running as I type this. :)

I have 2 Millienniums, both with CompuQuilter. LOVE them both!

I'm a Dealer for CQ, but that happened after I had bought both systems. I've had one since 2006 and the other since 2010. All software upgrades are free and the system comes with Art & Stitch software, which is incredible digitizing software. The value of the software is over $900, but it's included free with CQ.

Leslie,

I think you'll find that many APQS owners drift towards either the CompuQuilter or the Intelliquilter as neither of those two programs will negate your APQS 8 year warranty. Of course, there are other computerized systems on the market but if your machine is still under the APQS warranty I would think you'd want to choose between those 2 brands.

Learning about the many computerized systems out there is a process (just like shopping for a longarm, eh?).

There are a wealth of IQ videos on YouTube to give you a sense of how it functions. I know it is overwhelming but I challenge you to find a computerized quilter who regrets adding a computer to their machine! :)

I'm a dealer for IQ so I'm biased. :) I'd be happy to talk to you about IQ but you might find learning from regular IQ owners why they chose the brand they did to be insightful. Both IQ and CQ are good systems so you just need to find the one that suits your needs best!

Enjoy the journey and let me know if you need any further info or if you want to schedule a free virtual test drive of IQ over the internet.

I chose IQ because of the many things it can do, including digitizing. I have been battling trying to learn SID. After working with Suzanne Moreno in the online class I am taking from her I finally learned to do GREAT looking SID using the IQ. I thought this would be one skill I would never get good at with or without the computer.

I chose the SideSaddle for my APQS Liberty mainly because of the price and the ease of learning it. It was way cheaper than the other two. It did everything I needed it to do and you can not beat the customer service. You have to research the different systems and buy according to what you need or want.

Oma, I am glad you like your side saddle. I have a friend who tried the side saddle and had so much problem with it and absolutely hated it. She ended up getting the company to take it back. She ended up getting the CQ and is very happy. I have the IQ and have used it on the apqs and moved it to the Innova when I changed machines. I worked lovely on both machines.

A lot of the systems out there will work with APQS but like Angie said the IQ and Compuquilter allows you to keep your 8 year warranty. Both have free upgrades and top of the line customer service. I have th IQ so of course I'm partial.

You do not need to have your machine "wired" for the IQ but Darlene correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you need to have your machine wired for the Computquilter.

I've seen the Side Saddle and Statler Stitchers on APQS machines but I believe you would be happier with the IQ or Compuquilter.

I really, really liked the Statler Stitcher when I was researching what to buy. I'd made my downpayment, then found out I would have to send my Ultimate I in to the factory to make it "like a Gammill" to the tune of $5000. That charge on top of the computer charge made it cost prohibitive to me.

I went back to my second choice of the IQ, and have absolutely no regrets!

I do not believe statler stitcher is an option anymore.

I have been told recently by a very informed soruce they are no longer fitting to APQA machines.

I had called to inquire 2 months ago and they were highly hesitant and said well "we have in the past, but we need to talk to the engineer" and they never got back to me. .....so I am thinking I called just as they were making their decision to no longer retro fit to APQS.

UP DATED

Jennifer and Dave who make the Side Saddle and the long arm machine, Homesteader

They came over twice to measure my Lenni table, and I've seen the Side Saddle at work at two of the FiThey are also a couple hours driving time from us. Nice and handy.

FIber Arts and Quilting Fairs we've had two or three times. I will be getting one. Ye Olde Forest compared either CQ or IQ and the sitiching quality I think time to run the same design, on both machines at the same time. The Side Saddle is a bit slower.

I loved the stitching, so balanced, and length of stitches was consistant. I'm getting so I really can 't do much machine quilting in one day. This would be a real boon to me as it can quilt, and I'd be piecing a couple feet away, while it runs. ( I'd finally get some of mine pieced and quilted) . I'd never leave it running when I'm out of the room. There is a difference in the sound if a needle breaks or the other sounds that happen with the Lenni, bobbin thread messing up, bird nests when I restart and forget to pull the bobbin thread up. ICKKK

Other Auto quilting devices are your choice. I'm thrilledyou can get one, no matter the brand, and wishing you the most fun and use of yours.

The functions and how to get them with the Side Saddle keyboard are explained in everyday language. That makes it also appealing and easy to use.

It would be too many years to save up for another computer addition.

Guest Linda S

I love my IQ. Not only is it so easy to switch from computerized to manual at the machine, but I can sit in my recliner in the living room with my tablet and design! I'll post pics (hopefully later today) of a quilt I did using a "block" from a panto, and an apple motif that I made by clipping out pieces of the panto and arranging them to fit the block. You'll end up needing to buy less in the way of designs with IQ, as you can flip and skew things in any direction.

Just to clarify...I'm not saying the SideSaddle is better than the IQ by any means. I'm just giving my opinion throwing ideas out there. There were several features I liked about the SideSaddle. I can switch from computerized to manual in about 2 seconds. Love that. I don't know if it runs slower than other models, but I know I can control the speed and I choose to go fairly slow because I'm not in a hurry. I don't quit for anyone but myself so I don't have any time constraints. I love the "fit to pattern" feature. The stitching has been beautiful. I can buy digitized designs from anywhere and transfer them using a USB drive. I can resize the designs or trim them very easily. I can design different designs myself and transfer them much the same way, although I have never personally designed my own yet.

I can make a phone call to Jennifer and she picks up the phone and always has the answer in very easy to understand terminology. I've only called her twice. There is a west coast person rep that I can use too. I just like talking to Jennifer. LOL.

I'm not suggesting someone buy a SideSaddle instead of an IQ. You have to do your research on what you need and want. Most importantly you need to know what you want to spend. If I ran a quilting business I might very well have an IQ, but then I'd also have a Millie and Bliss and whatever else that would make it easier for me. I don't have a business...just me and my Liberty and occasionally a friend who comes over and does one of her quilts so the SideSaddle is perfect FOR ME. At the time that I bought mine it was $5500...that was the clencher...way cheaper than anything else on the market that would do what it does.

The only downfall for me (and I'm sure they will fix that) is switching to the Bliss system. Right now the SideSaddle's wheels aren't configured for the Bliss table. I've spoken to Jennifer at SS and Mark at APQS and at the time it wasn't plausible, but then Bliss was brand new so we'll see. That would make it perfect!

You have to understand this is like comparing apples to oranges when you compare the SideSaddle to the IQ. My Lexus has more bells and whistles than our Ford. It also cost a LOT more, but they both get me to where I want to go. LOL. :)

Originally posted by Gator

You do not need to have your machine "wired" for the IQ but Darlene correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you need to have your machine wired for the Compuquilter.

There is no "Internal" wiring or change to the APQS wiring. It's a very "clean" installation, especially on the Bliss table. It is now "belt" driven, just like the belt in the back of the APQS machines. VERY accurate, will last a lifetime without stretching. There are NO holes drilled in the table, and it's pretty easy to install yourself.

I LOVE the Art and Stitch software that comes with it! I can be designing on my laptop while the machine is stitching. I can test out my designs, layouts on the demo software on my laptop as I'm designing.

One of the things I really love is that my Windows pattern folders look exactly the same in CQ as they do in Windows Explorer. I set up my files the way that makes sense to ME, and it's easy to find the patterns in CQ because they come up in name AND picture format.

I can hook up a printer to CQ and print the whole catalog of patterns right from there, or print the screen image of the patterns I'm using for my customer files. I can also make and save notes on the sizes I've used for different customers. Of course I can also do that in the demo software on my laptop.

The "Morphing" feature really saved my bacon and prevented an ulcer! on the quilt I just finished. Odd shapes with poor piecing meant the triangles were NOT equally shaped. I just opened the pattern I wanted to use, then clicked on the "Boundary" page, and "Set Points" around the triangle. Then I dragged and stretched and rotated until the motif fit THAT triangle. On the next triangle, I clicked on Edit Points and as I finshed one point, the machine moved to the next and I moved the machine just a bit and Set that point, etc.

Will post pictures of the quilt (Judy Niemeyer Echo Wave) as soon as I get a new card for my camera. Who knew those things broke?! :o Good thing I had just downloaded all my pictures!

What I just LOVE about computerized quilting is that I can combine freehand and ruler work with it and it all looks like one cohesive unit. CQ does things I could not HOPE to do, no matter how many years I practiced. Intricate block inserts are a breeze and so are borders and corners, as long as they're digitized correctly in the first place. :cool:

Even if you don't own CQ, you can go to the website and download a manual so you can compare CQ with other systems and know what questions to ask.

http://www.compuquilter.com/compuquilter/manuals

Good luck in your search. Doing your homework now means you won't have any buyer's remorse later. :)

I played with many computer systems while I was at a quilt show last year. I ended up getting the IQ and only last week, put it in myself with the help of my mechanic. It's running and I have only quilted 2 quilts with it. But I am getting the hang of it real quick. Give me a week or so and I'll be a pro, LOL! You can easily push a button and go into manual too. There are lots of "how to" videos on youtube to walk you through many steps and designs. They have been very helpful. You should try them out before you buy one. They are costly, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have saved alot of $$$ on all the other gismos and gadgets that I already bought. I would only have needed my IQ.

I have the SideSaddle on my Lenni machine. Very happy with it, couldn't wish for better. Customer service is excellent. Jennifer is just an email away if I have any questions. Price wise, It is about 1/3rd the cost of some other systems. Does everything I want.

Marley

"They are costly, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have saved alot of $$$ on all the other gismos and gadgets that I already bought. I would only have needed my IQ."

Boy, that's the truth! Everytime I get on the forum, I'm off buying another gadget:P I'm gonna have to start telling myself I don't need it, and putting that money I would have spent in savings, and then it won't be long before I can buy the computer:P:P

Archived