Julian Opportunity Quilt 2012

Hi all, I've been a lurker! Trying to keep up with the forum, but really busy!

I wanted to share the Julian opportunity quilt for 2012. Every year a group of quilters from the Julian Woman's Club get together (including Eleanor Burns) and make a raffle quilt. We get to work with Eleanor in her studio here in Julian and we all have a great time! When the quilt's finished, I get to quilt it however I want! Yeah!! The winning ticket is drawn on July 4th, the last day of our Heritage Quilt Show.

Eleanor takes this quilt to the Paducah and it hangs in her "Quilt in a Day" booth at the show. She graciously sells tickets for us while she's there! The pattern is from her new book, 'Tales of First Ladies.' If you're at the show, please stop by and see the quilt and her new book!

Julian2012Quilt.jpg[/img]

Julian2012Quilt3.jpg[/img]

Julian2012Quilt2.jpg[/img]

Julian2012Quilt4.jpg[/img]

Julian2012Quilt6.jpg[/img]

Wow! Thanks for all the nice comments! Makes a girl feel great!

Corey! Of course we can get together anytime you're in the vicinity! You're always welcome!

This one was a lot of time, patience and ruler work. Susan, the swags were done with the 8 inch Constanine ruler. (BTW, I have 2 the same size if you want one. Ordered a duplicate by mistake. It's still in the wrapper.) I just made up the design between them. I did not turn the quilt to do them. I had just enough throat space to get 'er done. The border is 12 inches wide, so the space needed broken up. The swags reminded me of bunting, so in they went.

There is an applique center in the book, but I told them to leave that out so I had some quilting space. The curved crosshatching was done in gold thread so it would show! I used DeLoa's boomarangs for the curved crosshatching.

Rita, the dot on the eagle's head is a 6mm amber crystal. He needed eyes. The intersections inside the center medalion are 2mm navy crystals, the outer edge are 2mm red. I also put a red crystal on the tips of the feathers in the wings and tails. Yikes! It took 12 hours just to set all the crystals and I only put them in the white center. Those tiny ones looked like pepper when I poured them into a jar lid. I thought I'd go blind! Tweezers and a good pair of glasses! They're hotfix. What a pita with them being so small.

Merry Jo,

I really love this quilt. I like the design in the red triangle where you did three flowers and then joined them with that other design. Then you used the same design where the swags joined. I'd really like to see more closeups of the other blocks, too. And more pictures on webshots or flickr?

Archived