Nightmare has come true

I need help here on what to do! I was just about at the end of a quilt (customer, of course) and I found a small cut in the sashing. I am not sure if I did it but am going to assume that I did. Don't know how but it is there. I did not even notice it untill after I stitched over it and then I saw it!!! I thought that maybe if I run over it again, it will disappear...well, it didn't. I looks worse. I admit is small...like a quarter inch or less...looked like a V and now looks like a hole. I am going to show it to Mary but my question is, do I not charge for the whole quilt? It is a 93x93 sampler that I did custom in each block (25 of them)....guess I am saying that I spent some time on it but want to be fair to Mary. What should I do?

Gosh no you can't do it for free, you don't even know if you did it! Can you pick out the stitches over the cut and get the v to lay down then restitch? If it were me I would show it to her and tell her everything you just told us. If you can't make the cut look any better I would offer a small discount and tell her you realize there is a possibility that you did it. I am sure it is more noticeable to you than it will be to anyone else.

Carefully take out what you stitched as suggested. Then see if you can slip a tiny piece of fusible in between to hold the edges down then press that spot. Get some fabric paint type of marker to match as closely as possible to the top and LIGHTLY dab a little on around the hole so white batting doesn't highlight it. Then restitch your pattern. No one will probably ever notice. Remember quilts are viewed as a whole not inch by inch. I would not take the blame for something you probably didn't do. Tell the client the truth that you found the small tear and you repaired it. I also would not offer a discount.

Had this happen once. The client then acknowledged she had had to rip out some and it had probably happened then.

I agree with Cheryl, in fact on my "one big quilt" I found a small slit in one of the center sashings that I know I did not do. I slipped a small piece of fusable into the slit and worked it with tweezers to cover the slit and ironed it down, then stitched as usual and you could not even see it. By the way, it was black fabric over white wool batting and still was invisible when finished.

Vicki and everybody else has given you very good advice. Chances are you didn't put that cut there. Really nothing on our machines that would cut it unless you were trimming threads and caught it but you can fix it. If the fusible doens't work then see if you can get a piece big enough and make an applique patch over it. For sure do not do this for free.

A product named "Fray CHECK" Not Fray Block, does wonderful on patching a slit or hole. Just put a dab of the Fray Check, on the hole or slit, make sure it is matching the surrounding fabric as much as possible. Let it dry. Fray Block doesn't leave

spots on the fabric as Fray Block does. It was used to hem a very short hem,

on a satin skirt and left no obvious areas, and it was used on our grandkids clothes torn from a fall etc.

Originally posted by sandradarlington

I remember reading on here (ages ago) that many small holes can be invisibly repaired with a product called Bo Nash. I haven't used the product myself, but now that I am mentioning it perhaps others will add their experience to the post.

BO NASH IS AN AWSOME PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the batting being used? Bo Nash requires a lot of heat and the pressing teflon on top and bottom, so would that pressing hurt the batting? Then you would have a bigger problem.

I like the fusible idea. You may try to use the colored marker on the batting instead of the fabric, then any mismatching might not be as noticeable.

I don't do that many customer quilts but low and behold I was doing a wall hanging for one and there was an inch slit in the top. I panicked thinking maybe I had done it and lost sleep for two nights. I finished quilting it and called her to pick it up. When she arrived she loved it then I calmly pointed out the slit and before I could say another word she admitted she knew there was one somewhere in the quilt and at the time she looked for it she couldn't find it to fix so I gave her two options 1) I would be willing to tear out the quilting and fix it free of charge being she was honest enough to admit I didn't do it or 2) I could fix it on the spot while she was there with liquid stitch. She was so nice about everything and agreed to the liquid stitch and would like to watch me fix it so she would know next time how to fix one. This was a win win situation I felt alot better and she got a free lesson on fixing boo boo's! LOL The customer was surprised that after it was fixed she couldn't even pick out the slash. I love liquid stitch.Good luck.

Archived