It's Finished Design Suggestions needed

This is a cute quilt and my creative thoughts are not working. It is a charity quilt done by a bee but they are going to put it in a quilt show and I assume my name will be on it as quilter.

They want just a meander as that is want they want to pay for and we initially agreed on bright green thread. But the backgrounds are all different and outlining the applique in bright green seems like a bad idea but I am not a fan of invisible thread. Also the applique cars are about 7"x7" so they need some stitching to hold down the applique.

I guess my main concern is if there is a better neutral color to do the quilting.

My dilemma has been discussed on some recent threads about putting e2e on a cute quilt at the customer request and then they put the quilt in a show.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

post--13461908648714_thumb.jpg

I'm the worst one to answer because, like you, I see that semi-custom is what this cute quilt deserves.

An overall with one color thread will be so distracting. I assume they will be donating this quilt and that's why they want less-expensive quilting--but it's going in a show as an example of their piecing skills and generosity.

You asked if there was a better neutral color for this---not that I can figure, with both very dark and very light backgrounds for the cars. Maybe a golden yellow in very thin thread--So Fine or Bottom Line. Or if they want green, more like a taupe or sage instead of bright. I would loop it instead of a meander--then you can at least circle the passengers and the headlights as you quilt along.:)

Some deserving child will love this one!

Donna, Here is a picture of a very easy wiggle stitch that you could do to outline the sashing. You could run the stitch across the sashing just inside the ditch, cross the cornerstones and continue to the end of the row. Continue down the width of the sashing and back across the the quilt to where you began. You can take a little "dip" when you reach the corner of each block and do the loopy filler in the background of the car blocks. Come back out again at the same spot and continue on to the next block. I have done this many times and it is very quick and looks really cute on a kids quilt. You could even do a quick outline of the car while you are in there. Loopy filler in the border and you are finished. Sort of semi custom with hardly more effort than e2e. The thread I used on this quilt is SoFine #423 50 weight. I did not change thread colors at all on this quilt. I use this thread and a neutral all the time. I hope this makes sense to you!

BTW, the wiggle is very small just a little jiggle of you hands! Don't overthink it and you will be surprised how quick this is to do. If you "dip" into the blocks from the sashing, you can go accross the entire quilt without stoping. 7326670694_35c8105ccb_z.jpg

DSCN0400 by chrisquilt00, on Flickr

I think i'd go for a very light/medium grey thread. Then when doing a loopy meander in the background of each block, Do the loops really close together coming out the back of the car like "exhaust", then continue with the regular loop-de-loop meander in the remaining background!

I think the light grey (& thin like Linda suggested)...cuz that's the key here, to keep the thread not so visible, would blend with ALL of the fabric colors here.

LOVE the squiggley line thing too, and what about Ribbon Candy stitching in the sashing? Or.. do the wavy lines there horizontally, for the horizontal sashings, and vertical for the vertial ones. You can do like 3-4 wavy lines in the sashing, 1/4" apart!!

I'd put in more time than they pay for on this one as it sounds like it is going to be advertising for you. I would make sure that the invoice showed the full value of the quilting and a publicity discount down to what they are prepared to pay. I like the suggestions that have already come up. For me I would be looking to quilt on the lines of the cars, the joints between the panels as they should then take on more of the shape of the car. It should be a great fund raiser. Oh and don't forge to take pictures, you will want to be able to show it off later ;)

Ferret

Thanks so much for the help. I used several of the suggestions. Did a wiggle/waggle on the seams and a couple of wavy lines on the sashings, loops on the border. Used black on the border and sashings and pale yellow on the blocks. Ferret gave me confidence to do what I wanted to do--do more quilting to make the quilt draw more attention and charge what had been agreed upon. I was more comfortable "giving away" some of my quilting rather than have the quilt go out "bare" in my opinion.

Some photos are attached. I used the background fabrics for inspiration for background fill: raining, daisies, clouds

Archived