Inspiration quilt---New Pictures-last one

I started this as a practice quilt...raw edge applique built on the table with my longarm. I'm doing beadboard in the outer borders, CH behind the applique, and trying out some embellishment in the applique. CH is taking longer than I thought it would. Using black thread defeats the purpose of motifs in the applique--sorry. It's a lesson in progress. It's my first freehand feather in the swag, but I gave up and digitized it. I thought you all would appreciate looking for inspiration. I'll be putting more information on my blog and FB pages. Thanks for looking.

post--13461908755249_thumb.jpg

Libby, this is really rough...I layered the fabric on top of the muslin, stitched the design, then trimmed away the excess. NO ironing, NO fusing, No turning. I triple stitched around the design before I trimmed, but still there were places that came loose. I think quilting inside the applique will hold 'er down until I can do something more permanent. I've done this method before and after washing the edges fray to a soft little fuzzy edge. I've seen it done with fused applique and it doesn't fray as much. However, I'm all for speed when I'm experimenting.

Debbie, I will consider the Moxie meeting...just got back from vacation and may not have much free time.

Yes Dustee, I intend to post more...thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

This is why I did the inspiration quilt. It is finished but it'll take me a while to clip all the threads on back. Why didn't you tell me that crosshatching a background takes forever?!:mad: I think I made $3.50 per hour on this quilt. At least you can enjoy the pictures...

post--13461908873211_thumb.jpg

Have patience...I haven't had it off the rollers yet to take a pictures of the whole thing. I'll probably be done by the weekend or beginning of next week. The quilt is all hand pieced, applique. It is a simple design, but sure enough I had to choose the most difficult and time consuming layout. Lesson learned! :o

Archived