Turquoise and brown Southwest quilt

This is a big one and only about two-thirds of it shows in the photo.

This is a wedding quilt for a customer who wanted a southwest feel for the quilting without any of the usual motifs like cactus/kokopelli/lizards/etc. She loved the turquoise fabric and this is her go-to pattern for weddings--the ring without circular piecing.

Wool batting--which my customers have decided is their new favorite.

I quilted the turquoise to look like polished turquoise stones, stitched CC's in the geese, and a new braid I tried on the turquoise border. Big circles on the brown set them off. Diagonals to match the angles in the piecing made a nice border with an angular feel. In the lower area, I stitched the names of the couple and the date of their wedding.

A lot of different things going on with this one--I hope the newlyweds like it!

post--13492895107351_thumb.jpg

Oh wow! Another stunning quilt! Linda! At first I thought the quilt was not that interesting...until I saw the close-up of the quilting. This really is a case of "quilting makes the quilt"! thanks for sharing.

I am curious how you approached the quilting. Did you do the circles first to stabilize and then the background fill? And is the braid design a stencil?

To answer questions---

I stitched the top border first, then both colors of the geese.

Since I hadn't decided what to stitch in the circles, I did the opposite of what I always recommend to others and stitched the turquoise pebbles. Stitching the circles first would have stabilized better but it all worked out.

The wool batting worked well and I think I would have needed to be more careful with cotton batting and the pebbles could have been larger.

The braid is freehand and a different way to stitch the standard braid design--it requires simple marking and two passes. I call it a flat ribbon braid.

Thanks for looking and your wonderful comments!

Guest Linda S

Your quilting is gorgeous! I can't say I care for the quilt - that turquoise is so stark as compared to the browns, but it could be my computer's coloration. Your quilting really makes it.

Originally posted by cmkeindl1

WOW! the impact of the colors is pretty - but the quilting is stunning! Good questions about stabilizing this one? Also, do you know the name of the pattern?

Thanks for sharing

I don't know the name, but my customer Cindy shared that the brown blocks are made from four patches and then snowball style--with another turquoise square place at the corners and then stitched diagonally. The trimmed off triangles were then stitched together into half-squares. Two half-squares were sewn with the turquoise together to make all the faux flying geese in the border. Love those no-waste patterns!

She has a program that figures the width of the spacer turquoise border so her lengths of geese would fit exactly. Hate that math, but love the result!

Archived