NQR - Want to move to MI

Hi all. I know that I haven't been around much but have been fighting the depression bug and it's winning. Anyway,

I really want to move to the Port Huron, MI area but don't know where to start. How's the quilting in that area, fabric stores, shows, etc. Any helpful hints would be great. I spent 27 years in the Navy but never had to move! I really need to get out of Virginia Beach, to regain my sanity.

Hi Connie. I live about 30 minutes south of Port Huron. IMHO, I can't imagine why anyone would want to move here, especially from Virginia where it is warm :P. That is unless you have family/friends here to help you with your depression. The weather is definitely not great for depression though. We have some pretty gray winters.

On the quilty side of things, there is a really neat quilt shop in Port Huron. They're really nice in there. Not really sure were the next closest one would be. We really don't have a lot. There's only one in my area. As far as the quilting community goes, I'm really not sure. I work outside the home with some pretty weird hours so I haven't had the opportunity to check out the guilds. I know there are several of them. Let me know if you will be in the area checking things out. Love to meet up with you.

Peggy

hi connie -

i lived in ann arbor for 17 years.

it's where i really learned to love quilting.

moved here 6 years ago.

there is a pretty big (i think AQS) show in grand rapids.

my favorite shops were viking sewing center in ann arbor, quilt patch in tecumseh and bits and pieces in wayne.

viking & quilt patch have GREAT fabric selection.

bits and pieces is a GREAT bernina service and julie is a SUPER teacher.

quilt patch also offered some good classes.

there is another big shop in jackson that i used to go to - but i forgot the name.

lots of guilds, too.

i think you'll like the quilty part of michigan.

ps deloa jones lives there, too!!

Connie,

If you want somewhere, where you can go ANYTIME, anywhere...I visited my aunt in Peoria, AZ. Beautiful place. Awsome quilt shops. She belongs to 2 groups of gals, and absolutely LOVES it and them! I've never seen such a quilty place EVER! AZ is the place to be, esp for depression.

There are numerous things to do, places to go. You NEVER get bored. After my aunt lost her hubby, she suffered with some depression too. Having her move from Nebraska to AZ, popped her right out of it. She said she's never met so many friends (thru the quilt guilds & shops) and have had so much to do in her life!Good luck in your venture, wherever it takes you!

Depression is a naughty beast!!! Connie, are their too many vehicles in your area for your piece of mind? I love VB but it sure is busy there! I hope you are working with your Dr and getting your meds to lessen your mood swings. It feels so much better when they finally get it right! I don't know but I would agree with the above that you don't need cold winters to lighten your load unless you are moving to be with family! Blessings to you!

Hang in there, Connie! If you are on any meds, take a good look at them and see if any of them can be causing your state of mind. I nearly drove myself off a cliff earlier this year until I realized that one of the meds the doctor had me taking for my eating problems was the culprit. I've never been so relieved in my life as to get rid of that bad pill!

Having walked the road of depression and right meds, I can attest they make all the difference in the world when they are the right ones.

Connie, my DIL lives in Port Huron and suffers from the grey days so really think twice about moving there because of the cold and very grey winters.

Good luck with your search and getting rid of the gloomies.

(((Hugs))) Connie. I have no experience with Port Huron, but my heart goes out to you as you continue to struggle with the big D. Keep looking and making plans for a change in location because those positive thoughts can help you push back the beast. With your creative talents, dream about endless locations - Sedona, Door County, Lake of the Ozarks region, to just get started. I wish you the best of happy trails!

Connie I'm of no help in the MI area. I sure hope you an beat that nasty bug, it is no fun! Hang in there and know we're here for you. Sounds like you're looking for a change in scenery. Is it possible for you to take a good long leave of abscense from work and just work on making yourself better? I find that exercise helps me. I hate to do it but it lets me release all that stress and doesn't let that bug come creeping in.

Connie, praying for healing from the pitch black hole called He**.

I also that a decision for a new location be the right one, and

in the right place.

For me, sitting close to a lamp like an Ott Light makes a diff

on the deepression. Doesn't make it go away, but makes

it easier to get through the rough spots.

Also, it may take a few days for the meds to catch hold, or

up to two weeks. I now reject that one.

Be kind to yourself, get some chocolate and wine and have

a party for yourself, or invite someone who is nice, not a drag!!

God Bless, Take care and stay well.. and get healthy.

(ps, I'd not suggest Arizona.. Hellish hot in sumer..

we spent 4 winters there, and dang near died of the

heat. or blowing sand, or pollens and blowing quartz)

Nice quilt shops though.

I don't live in Michigan, but Duluth,MN, and agree with those who have said northern winters can be hard to take. They do drag on! Not to mention getting dark so early and light so late. In Duluth we have only about eight hours of daylight. I have faught the depression bug too. One sijmpple thing that has helped me over the years, especialy the first few after my son died in a car accident is a gratitude journal. Every day I would right down five things I was grateful for that day. Some days it was little things like having a purring cat on my lap. Some days I was grateful to have loved my son enough to still hurt... Good meds help too as do good friends.

If you have your heart set on MI (and not...say..Washington near Olympia?:P;):P) go online and get the propaganda from the CofC, tourist bureau, Realtors, etc. That will give you the rosie view, so to speak. Then how about booking an extended stay hotel or a B&B for a week to see the lay of the land? When you get settled, visit a quilt shop first and let them know what you are looking for. You know how quilters are--they'll talk up the area, tell you the truth about the winters, and droll all over you when they learn you are a longarmer.

Sure you don't want to give Washington a try? Moderate winters, moderate summers, no humidity, occasional volcanic eruptions, drizzly rain a lot of the winter, but not much snow, Moxies--it's great here. And if you feel the creep of depression coming on--quilt retreat!!

Or Oregon. That much farther south, that much longer growing season and warmer summers, same winters, and more Moxies. I'd live there if Dennis would move but I can't imagine use moving all our stuff!

Good luck with your journey and please take care of yourself.

Connie, I think you should move to Oregon. We have great weather and lots of quilt shops. A big plus is the "Moxies", I personally have yet to get to a gathering, but they are great group of people to help you out. Come visit for a week and see how you like it out here. It would be a big change from Virgina. Sending you a "Hug", take care of yourself, you are a very special person to all of us.

I'm from Michigan, grew up on the east side of the state & used to go to Port Huron quite a bit. I'm on the west side of the state now. First of all, I'm sorry you're fighting a battle. You keep fighting & work with your docs! My question is, why Port Huron? You must have a reason for choosing that local, yes? It IS true that the winters can be very dreary & of course cold & snowy, I personally love the cold & snow, not so much the gloom. I love the west side of the state with it's rolling hills & Lake Michigan is wonderful. I've said many times that Michigan would be the perfect state IF we had mountains. I spent my summers growing up in NY & I love it there. I LOVE the upstate region, the Hudson Valley area, the Berkshires of VT would be wonderful. Michigan has a lot of wonderful quilt shops & guilds throughout the state. Michigan invites you to come & explore the state completely. I'm sure we'd love to have you as a resident:) VERY BEST wishes to you...

Connie, I too battle the depression bug. It is living hell. I am thankful to have found a good balance with my meds right now and the dreary days are further between. I hope you find your peace of mind and comfort from all of us here. We are always here for you.

Good luck on whatever move you decide to take. I would look at it really close first. Like others have said, take a few days at a time and do some traveling to see if you are comfortable in the surroundings. Visit MI in the winter so you can get a feel of the weather there. My grandsons lived close to Lake Michigan. The winters were horrible. Lots of snow and very gloomy. I couldn't live there with my depression. I find the winters in the midwest to be pretty hard to take sometimes. My worst depression usually sets in around November and and last through February. I love spring, hot summers and all the pretty colors of fall.

Hang in there, work with your Dr. and get out and about as often as you can. We love you and care about you. Please keep us posted on how you are feeling and let us know it there is anything we can do for you to make it any easier for you.

My doctor suggested I move to AZ for my depression and fibromyalgia

Connie, I had noticed you had not posted much. I know from experience how debilitating depression can be, and my heart goes out to you. Hang in there, and know that we are all rootting for you!

Now if you really want to move somewhere awesome, how about Alberta! We have many fabulous quilt shops, Quilting From the Heart to mention one! And our weather- if you don't like it, wait 5 minutes!!! ;)

Connie,

If you are interested in other areas, please check out Boise, ID. I have a spare room if you want to come out for a week and see if you would like it here.

Boise has clear skies, except right now we have a few too many forest fires, clean water and all four seasons. It's also known as "the city of trees" with miles of greenbelt along the river that flows through town. We're a physically active city with hundreds of miles of bike and hiking trails in our foothills, 4 ski resorts within 3 hours, closest 30 minutes out of town, great white water for rafting or kayaking. Smooth water for skiing, fishing or stand-up paddle boarding. Lots of local wines, organic gardens and we're home of the blue turf. People are friendly and we have lots of quilters, but can always use another longarmer. Local quilt shop often has 2-3 months back log for quilting.

Praying for you to get over your depression,

Wow, thank you for all the encouragement, thoughts and prayers. You all are great. I've had depression as long as I can remember, even during childhood. It is a double edged sword. I have been very successful in everything I've done especially a great military career. When you pour everything into a job, you don't have to think about anything else. I am on meds but not good at staying on them, I know bad me. I haven't found one that doesn't make me go straight to sleep or a terrible "medicine head". I'm working it.

Now why the move to Port Huron? Yes, there is a reason. My oldest son and grand-daughters are in New Baltimore. I like how layed back it is there. No, I don't know how I'll deal with the winters but I think it's worth a try. Virginia especially VA Beach, has become really, really expensive and I have no family or "real" friends here. I have a great job, but very stressfull and very tied down. I can't leave the area without permission (I'm an Emergency Manager for 3 military bases). I would love to move to the Northwest but I would be completely cut-off from my east coast family.

Thanks again everyone, you don't know how much I appreciate the responses. I will keep in touch.

Vicki, I will be up your way for Sewing Quilt Expo on the 4th.

Archived