Any suggestions on DVDs & Sketchbooks for Freehand quilting?

I am also trying to decide on what would be the best Dvds and/or Sketchbooks to try.

I have not been quilting for a long time and very limited on what I come up with to do. Any teacher or suggestions for someone that has not been able to take classes.

I am trying to do some quilting on the side.

I would like to add more to my quilts as well as others.

On a sadder note my sister was just told she has Cancer and it is a Stage 4. She had sent me 3 quilts to try and finish so that she could give them to her children and grandchild.

I would like to make these really special for her not just a meander I am hoping.

She has been sick since July and seeing a doctor. But they were treating her for bronchitis and a few random things not even checking for the other. Even up to 4 days before she collasped they had taken XRays and told her that her lungs were all clear. No signs of the bronchitis or anything else. When she was taken from work to the Er they found the large mass on her lung had collasped the lobe. Further testing that week shows it to be in the brain , bones, both lungs and her lympnoid.

I am trying to be hopeful but if not for a miracle which I do believe they do happen. It is not going to be good. She is young in her early 40's.

Any way sorry I got of topic. This is just an area that she and I have in common.

If you have any suggestions I want them for that reason as well as delevoping my quilting skills.

If there is any sales on any of these please direct me to them as well.

Thanks for listening, also if you could add her to your prayers.

Connie

cstucke80

Guest Linda S

Oh Connie. I am so sorry to hear about your sister. Things like this make me just want to strangle some doctors. How could they overlook such serious illness? I pray for the best outcome for her and for your family.

Kimmy Brunner has some good DVDs - she has a great one for beginners, if you are just starting out. Dawn Ramirez (Pajama Quilter) has good DVDs, as does Myrna Ficken.

All the best, Linda

Linda, we ask the same questions on how? She had to insist on them to do the XRay on that Monday because she felt so bad. They were not going to do one. Then they came back in the room and told her that it was all clear nothing there.

Then when she collasped Thursday night 4 days later it was there. The cancer Dr. told her it did not develop in just 4 days. All he would say was she has a right to request her medical records.

I would say in this case she chose the wrong doctor. There is good ones and not so good. Please keep her in your prayers.

I know the dvds and tracing will help keep me busy in the hospital when we go.

Thanks for your response.

cstucke80

Connie, I'm so sorry to hear about your sisters diagnosis. Giant ((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) coming your way. I will keep your sister, you and the rest of your family in my prayers.

The DVD's that Linda suggests are all good. I have A Kim Brunner and two Myrna Ficken videos and they're great. I don't have the Pajama Quilter videos but I heard on this forum that they are good. I use a big pad of paper and pencil to practice designs on and draw them over and over. You'll do great!

Hi Connie, My heart goes out to your sister and all her loved ones, you included. I will keep all in my prayers.

I too use utube, also quilting blogs. Check out Angela Walters. I practice on paper. I go to Walmart when school is starting and get spiral notebooks for like .20 cents each. I have them everywhere. Hope this helps. K

Connie,

I'm so sorry to hear the news about your sister and will say an extra prayer. Miracles can happen. You are a great sister to help her and ease her mind and if giving her kids each a quilt will do that you are doing a big part!

I love Jamie Wallen's Cotton Tracks for a beginner DVD. He is so patient and gives practice pages and such. You can never go wrong with Kimmy's DVD's. If you take a hands on class Deloa Jones will give you so much! There is a u-tube video by Nichole Webb that I saw the other day that shows a heart meander and it would be perfet for these quilts. It looks pretty quick and simple.

First, many prayers for your sis, and family, extended family..

Jamie Wallen has wonderful CDs, with a lot of terrific instructions, and very

well explained.

I have his Mystical Cotton Tracks and one other, the title escapes me right

now.

Jamie also has a new CD, it came into sales in Aug.. I think.

I have Sharon Schaumber's also, I didn't find it of much help for me!

Rita

Thank You all for the wishes and prayers coming our way.

I have ordered the Pajama Quilter dvd, I was thinking of also gettng some of Kim Brunners and Myrna Fickens. Do you have favorites on those two teachers?

cstucke80

Connie

Kimmy Brunner's Twirly Whirlybird Feathers is a real confidence booster for feathers. Patsy Thompson's two books Feather Adventures and Hyperquilting are also freehand inspiring (www.patsythompsondesigns.com).

Prayers going out to you and your sister and your families.

Pam Clarke has some DVD's Design With Lines. Kimmy Brunner and Jamie Wallen's are great. I have some Patsy Thompson has DVD and she uses a domestic Sewing machine but it can be used on the longarm. I got them at JoAnn Fabrics but you can order them from Nancy's Notions.

I learned a lot from Kimmy Brunner, Jamie Wallen and Myrna's DVDs. I don't have easy access to classes, but I like the DVDs because I can play them over and over, stop and start at areas, etc. Also watch a lot of YouTube videos.

So sorry to hear about your sister. Some doctors should be run out of the profession!!! Also way too many times the insurance companies dictate what they will or will not pay for. Makes me angry that someone sitting at a desk in an insurance office can tell ME or my doctor what treatments I can have. Something really wrong with that picture.

i'm so very sorry to hear about your sister.

i'll add you all to my prayers and hope that you can all find some peace during this awful time.

you've got some great suggestions for dvd's.

pajama quilter gives lots of designs, i have both of hers.

kim and jamie are great ones, too.

angela walters teaches modern designs, which i found to be helpful since my kids like modern quilts.

Dear Connie,

My heart goes out to you as I almost lost my sister to Paragesis several years ago. At the last minute before another surgery, a miracle happened. I pray for such a miracle for you and your sister.

Something you may enjoy doing while spending time with your sister is doodling. This is something she could do along with you too. I've authored 3 "Pocket Guides" on Freehand designs; 150 designs on Meanderings, Textures & Fillers, and Borders & Sashings. I kept the books small so you can take them in your purse, or set them on top of the quilt while working on it. These books were originally designed in 2000, redesigned in 2006, and are still selling like hot cakes! I think it's the format that people find so useable. Heres a pic of the books and a link to my website.

http://trilliumhousedesigns.danemcoweb.com/shop/product/pocket-guides-to-freehanding/

Sorry, can't upload the picture, even tho' it was reduced.

Oh Connie, I'm so sorry about your sister. I will be praying for her and all who love her.

My choices for DVD's are all mentioned above so I won't repeat them, but the thing that I did and still do is use a small dry erase board and the small ones are about 8" x 10" and fit into a tote if your out of the house. When my husband was in chemo and radiation, I would take that along with me and doodle and you can use a tissue to erase and keep drawing. One thing that I could also add is to use your whole arm while doodling, not just wrist action and it transfers so much easier to your longarm machine.

I am so sorry about your sister and hope there is a miracle for her.

Have you considered any pantos? I spent a lot of time and stress the first year doing custom when I was so new to LA'ing. The last 9 months, I have done more pantos than custom, which has reduced my stress, and has helped me work on all the lines in quilting-the curve, the loop, straight,etc. it has helped me master moving the shape in opposite directions, and becoming so familiar with me machine. Plus, you turn out the quilts quicker.

With each panto I take one part of the panto and work on it across the quilt. Maybe work on it for the next pass. Then add another part of the panto to master. If you work with about 4 pantos you will master them quickly and your time and results will be very satisfying. Muscle memory is amazing. With much less stress than custom or freehand.

when I started Matt Sparrow told me to do flowers and leaves, that is a nice, overall effect. Or put a swirl with leaf, do a paisley, check out Leah Day's website for ideas to use on the LA.

Bumpity is a great beginner panto, I also use Fern Gully, Bananas Galore, aloha, daisies galore are a few. Quilts Complete has free shipping over $50 I think, there are other great companies.

Joanne Flamand

Artistic Quilt Design

I wanted to Thank Everyone for all the prayers, and miracles can happen. As well as all the great suggestions. My son gave me money ahead for Christmas so I have ordered alot of the suggestions given here. I really have not played with the pantos but I will have to when I return back home. In the mean time I still have a baby quilt to finish and I am stumped on just what to put on it. The blocks are suppose to be rockets for a 6 year old boy. But they are set with 4 of these blocks facing each way. Looks like a 5" square with half squares off each side. Would you do just a simple freehand or open to another idea.

When I get to Mich. my sister wants for us to do a sister quilt, just random blocks. I hope she is up to it. She sleeps alot now.

Thanks again for sending out the prayers for her and our family.

Thanks Connie

cstucke80

Archived