What to charge for binding

A customer came with her quilt the other day and brought the binding with her, asking me to attach it. I pressed it in half, sewed it (with my DM) onto the back, then turned to the front and attached with a decorative stitch. No hand sewing.

What is your normal rate for this? I've never done binding for a customer before, but it looks like I'm starting!! ^_^

I have 2 ladies who do my customers bindings they charge from .16-.25 an inch. They charge .16 an inch when binding is already attached and all they need to do is hand or machine stitch it down. If they need to prepare the binding first then they charge in the higher range, but the final cost in this range depends on how much work and time it took to prepare the binding, as we all know some times everything is pressed and ready other times it's rolled into a ball.

When a customer brings me a quilt to bind I quote them only the price range and then I let my binding ladies decide on the final price once they see and finish the job.

Terry

Currently, I use my domestic machine to attach the binding to one or both sides of the quilt, or alternatively, attach the binding to one side of the quilt by machine and then turn the binding and stitch it by hand.

• $1.50 / linear ft. to attach the binding to the quilt to one side only;
  • $2.00 / ft. to attach the binding to the back of the quilt and then turn it to the front of the quilt. I use either a straight stitch or a decorative stitch on the front of the quilt depending on the circumstance. A decorative stitch looks great on a flannel quilt.
  • $3.50 / ft. to attach the binding to the front of the quilt by machine and then stitch the binding to the back by hand.

Leslie

I charge .12 per linear inch to just sew it on one side with my DM, .25 per linear inch if I sew it on and then hand sew it down, so to do it entirely by machine I'd go somewhere in the middle...? I'd rather spend my time either longarming or doing my own quilts so I charged what I thought was more to try and discourage people from asking, I still get one now and then.

Most people think it is an awful job and dont want to do it themselves. I thought I was charging a good price until I read what you guys charge. Time to charge more. If they dont like it they can do it themselves, which they hate doing. In a way it makes up for the extra time you spend on their quilts and make practically minimum wage.

I don't get asked to do it much, but listed a price in my sheet. I think it is .25 a linear inch. I put it high enough that most chose not to have me do it and that's just fine! That is my least favorite part of the making a quilt. I can sew them on with the longarm pretty good now, so for our charity quilts, I do that and then hand it over to other ladies who enjoy whipping it down by hand on the back.

I attach the binding on the longarm, which is pretty quick ranging from half an hour to an hour maybe, and I try and charge on a time basis... but charge it out based on size of quilt - I have never worked out the equivalent square inch, as to me I still have four corners to mitre and a tail to join what ever the size.... it works for me, although I think I am undercharging on time...

I charge $0.05 per inch for making straight binding from fabric; $0.08 for bias; $0.05 for attaching with DSM; $0.10 for finishing by hand. I do not do machine binding because I don't like it, but Hitomi does & I think she charges $0.05/in. for machine finishing. I love to do hand binding, would be happy to do yours!

I charge $.15 per linear inch to make the binding (customer's fabric) and stitch it to the back of the quilt, turn it to the front and machine stitch it to the front using the feather stitch on my Bernina. I hand stitch the miters, front and back on all four corners.

I charge $.25 per linear inch to make the binding, machine stitch it to the front of the quilt and hand stitch it to the back.

People often ask me about doing the binding, but most decide to do it themselves when they hear my charge to do it for them. I like doing binding, but I am in business so I want to earn money for my time, whether it is for quilting or binding, they have to pay me.

Hey, kids. Zeke here. My wife just told me that she is willing to do your binding that you don't want to do. She charges .25 an inch and thats machined on the front and hand on the back. She also said that she would do just the front for .18 an inch. She is also very quick. So give me a cal. 916-689-4992

• 7 years later...
  • 8 months later...