Friendship Lattice Quilting Suggestions

Hello Everyone!

I am going to finish piecing (It's only half done in the picture below.) this friendship lattice quilt today and I am now looking ahead to quilting it.

I don't want to quilt the white lattice as this is for my long-time best friend and I want all of her friends to sign it in this spaces, putting the year that they became friends in there as well.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the quilting of the colored blocks?  They measure 2 9/16" square.

I don't have a long arm, so I am quilting this on my sewing machine with a free motion foot.

post-12012-0-72032800-1361027801_thumb.jpg

Michelle,

The quilt will be lovely and cherished, I'm sure! Since you'll have signatures in the white areas and you've decided not to quilt them, they will puff up more. So keep the quilting in the colored blocks on the simple side. The twist design would look nice, as well as four simple teardrop shapes starting at the center junction of the colors, then following each of the four seams out to the corners of the blocks. (Similar to continuous curves, but wider and more reminiscent of flower petals.

And just a little food for thought, even though you've decided to leave the white sections unquilted for signatures, you might want to consider a small amount of quilting just to keep them stable and straight. I'd think about a simple straight line of quilting about 1/4-in from each seam on the white (like outline quilting). They'd cross over where the junctions meet, adding to the trellis effect without encroaching too far into the signature area. It would also help delineate sections for the signatures, helping to corral them.

It will be wonderful whatever you do, because your friend will be touched that you made it!

I like this simple, pretty, not-to-dense pattern I learned from Kim Brunner.  I'd do the pattern in the block, then SID out  1/4" into the white, stitch around the block 1/4" away, SID across the white to the next block and repeat.  I'd do it entirely in white thread - that way the frame in the white would stabilize, but not detract from, the white blocks as Dawn suggested.  And I think the white would provide a nice look in the colored blocks.  AND most importantly, you could do the whole quilt without cutting and tying threads as you quilt each block.

post-4426-0-78782100-1361042638_thumb.jpg

Dawn, I think I really like your idea but I am still not sure about quilting the white signature blocks.  I was curious how it would look with tying it in different colored floss at the junction of the signature blocks.Maybe I will have to try both ways and then decide. And fineseams, thank you for the teardrop example.  That will fit well on the small colored blocks.  oh and by the way it's 960 individual pieces of fabric in the piecing.  

I dug through my limited stash and found this cheater crazy quilt fabric and tested it!  I loved the look and went with it on the border. It really pops the white and all the colors in this scrappy design!

Off to Hancocks for some batting and backer and tomorrow, I will start quilting.

560374_10151300704412869_282454891_n.jpg

Well Ladies, Here is what I decided to do on it.  I incorporated many ideas above into it.  Random swirls (thanks to APQS for the tutorial videos because I am a newbie to freemotion quilting) on the border and the freehand daisies on the colored blocks then stitch in the ditch all around the colored blocks and between the white signaure blocks.  I like the fact that I don't have to stop and start with each block, plus the between the white block stitching really makes them puff out!  I am using white thread as I liked how it made the daisy stand out.  Hopefuly my straight lines around the block get better as I progress.....hard on a sewing machine to keep it straight while freemotioning it.861228_10151302791697869_746952013_o.jpg

843884_10151302791592869_171739068_o.jpg

I finished it last week and it has been shipped off to my best friend.  I am very proud of the end result!  Thank you very much ladies for all your help, suggestions and encouragement!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151304402967869&l=cf9d628820

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151304371972869&l=cc86ed4dd6

Archived