Miniature Heirloom Whole Cloth Finished!

Such a beautiful job, Valerie, can't wait to see more! You are doing great things with your machine!

Don't admire what I do too much. I'm so-so on a good day. Check out the yucky feathers in my please help post. Just can't seem to get the hang of them when I stitch a wavy spine in a larger border and then quilt the feathers if they are too long. I wanted to take them out and then the client called and wondered if I was done? And I was just starting and already wanting to rip them out! LOL
Your quilting is beautiful!  I completely understand your struggles with large feathers - I don't think it's you - I have come to the conclusion that feathers are easier on a smaller scale.  My large feathers look crazy.  I think it's harder to "feel" your way back to your starting point - the spine.  It has helped me to do densely packed bump bump feathers for larger feathers and to mark them first.  I just cannot for the life of me quilt larger feathers free hand![/quote

I so know what you both mean, it's just the trouble I have with large feathers - getting back to the spine without wobbling.

You definitely have inspired me to start designing a whole cloth quilt in my head and try to get it on paper, though I am a long way off from stitching one.

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Thank you!!!  That is AWESOME!!!  I cannot wait to see your whole cloth!!

Such a beautiful job, Valerie, can't wait to see more! You are doing great things with your machine!

Your quilting is beautiful!  I completely understand your struggles with large feathers - I don't think it's you - I have come to the conclusion that feathers are easier on a smaller scale.  My large feathers look crazy.  I think it's harder to "feel" your way back to your starting point - the spine.  It has helped me to do densely packed bump bump feathers for larger feathers and to mark them first.  I just cannot for the life of me quilt larger feathers free hand![/quote

I so know what you both mean, it's just the trouble I have with large feathers - getting back to the spine without wobbling.

You definitely have inspired me to start designing a whole cloth quilt in my head and try to get it on paper, though I am a long way off from stitching one.
Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Awesome !!! Very inspiring ,I have never done a whole cloth quilt yet but my goal is to try to have it started before the end of the summer ,I have a great idea in my head , now its time to bring it to real life ,I have never been properly trained on how to do one but my idea is to just go for it one one piece of fabric ,lol ,love yours !!!

Queenie I cannot wait to see you're whole cloth!

Libby G - I love you for that comment!  It's flattering anyone would even suggest it!  I definitely want to try to enter MQX.  I don't think this one would hold up but it definitely has me thinking ahead!!

Fineseams Bonnie - HAHAHA!  YES!!  I think after designing this quilt I have decided the next one needs to have more feathers...because all quilts look better with feathers in my opinion!  ;) But pebbles...they will be there somewhere!!!  There will probably be MORE than here because it's so much bigger but I don't know if all of my background filler will be pebbles.  LOL*

Is it just me?  I think pebbles are completely therapeutic!   

Pumpkinpatchquilter,

I love it...it is really

..can you share some do's and dont's...I am going to try one...a mini too...soon...Did you use any specific books for reference? any specific threads? Batting? How did you mark it? Etc etc...

Thank you!

Tella,  thank you!  I didn't use any books no, but I am a big fan of Karen McTavish.  I don't have her books (yet!)  but I am always looking up her work...also Cindy Needham is a big inspiration.  There is a lot of great information on her blog.  I used a water soluble marking pen and grabbed some rulers and just played.  The fabric is just cheapo white muslin I bought at a box store - but I did go for some heavier duty bleached muslin for the whole cloth I'm working on for my bed.  I didn't like how this one was really see through.  I used a floral on the back which is kind of a no no for whole cloths, but I love the way it looks...just have to layer up the batting or make sure you use a soft subtle print so it doesn't show through the front since it's white!  :)  I used Superior Threads - I'm a big fan of So Fine :)

Hope that helps!

Pumpkinpatchquilter,
I love it...it is really
..can you share some do's and dont's...I am going to try one...a mini too...soon...Did you use any specific books for reference? any specific threads? Batting? How did you mark it? Etc etc...

It's just LOVELY!

But I wish you'd reconsider about doing all that work on a future quilt made of muslin.  Muslin is a lower grade of cotton, and not for your best work.  I thought I was buying some good muslin from Keepsakes as a backing for very special Dear Jane, and I was very disappointed at the quality of it. 

It's just LOVELY!

But I wish you'd reconsider about doing all that work on a future quilt made of muslin.  Muslin is a lower grade of cotton, and not for your best work.  I thought I was buying some good muslin from Keepsakes as a backing for very special Dear Jane, and I was very disappointed at the quality of it. 

Thank you Marilyn!!  

I will really think about what you have said!  Right now my funds are low - I'm a stay at home Mommy and my quilting business is floating, but not thriving.  I have purchased several yards of muslin but I will look into some other solids and see if I like them better.  Thank you for your thoughts, they truly do mean much to me and I listen to every suggestion everyone here gives!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Valerie, that is impressive!  Sooooooooo gorgeous!  You have come so far in such a short amount of time!!!  So glad to hear that you and your Ulti have bonded.  :rolleyes:   I can't believe how quickly you have been cranking out the quilts and doing such a beautiful job on them!  Keep up the great quilting and I'm looking forward to more pictures.

Archived