Professional totes made this weekend

Three of my girlfriends talked me into teaching them how to make a Professional Tote Bag after I had agreed to make one for my Aunt to take to Europe with her this fall.  We sewed all weekend.  We had a blast, but at times it felt like I was herding kittens...lol.  One of them didn't get finished because she was working and was a day behind us, but trust me her bag is looking beautiful.  Remember when I did the pink flowery one for my cousin and said I'd NEVER make another one?  Then I made the owl one and then a parrot one?  Now I've made the fourth one and I think I'll make an oriental one.  I'm crazy. 

post-4696-0-01103700-1367876133_thumb.jpg

i bought the pattern..does that count!!!

these are beautiful. :)

perhaps you can host a sew-a-long through this forum...and we can all get one finished! 

~~~~~

Good idea, Kristina! Then we can pick Oma's brain when we can't figure out the pattern's instructions!!

Oma, love the bags.  :)

I have made notes in my pattern margins for sure.  My friend bought her pattern quite a few years ago and they did a revision in 2011 and the two sets of instructions are quite a bit different.  Make sure your instructions say that or go on her site under FAQ and see what revisions were done or holler at me and I'll tell you.  We used my instructions plus like I said I have cheat notes.  It's such a great bag, but time consuming to make because it seems like it takes 2-3 hours to cut everything out and iron on the interfacing then you get to start sewing.  It has three zippers, but they are very simple to put in.  Trust me on that one because I just taught three people how to do it and it worked well.  One thing about the bag is it is very sturdy and you can customize it to your hearts content.  I have pockets all over that center zipper part, both inside and out.

I do have a new found respect for people who teach classes.  It's a lot of mental work.  You really have to pay attention to what each person is doing because if you just say ok that person could make a wrong cut that could destroy the bag.  I didn't have to put anyone in time-out.  We had plenty of good food and lots of laughter. 

We can do a sew along for sure.  Just have to protect the pattern copyrights.  She invented one heck of a nice bag.

Oma, I'm at the site to buy a pattern but it doesn't tell me how many of what notions are needed. Is there any place online that does? These are what I can't figure out.

zippers, know I need an 18 inch but how many of other sizes? I'd like to buy from her with the pattern

webbing, but not sure what size, the 1 inch or 1-1/4 inch? 

cord lock set -- how many? -- does this mean I need to buy cording? If so, not sure how much.

magnetic snap - how many?

If you can help me, that would be awesome.

EDITED: If anyone else is interested in what supplies to buy, I have found a supply list at Erica's here: http://www.ericas.com/sewing/patterns/39059b.jpg

Bonnie, I'm on the road now headed to Portland to see all the kids and grand kids, but I remember most of what you need. I preferred to make my handles instead of using webbing because it looks so much nicer and they are so easy to make and I definitely reccommend the optional strap to put over suitcase handle. This will require a total of 1 3/8 yards main fabric.

Actually, I bought 1 3/8 yds of all fabrics.

3 yds of iron on Pelon fairly heavy weight.

3 zippers (7", 14", and 20")

6" piece of Velcro

48" piece of cording or you can use elastic

4 cord ends (not needed if you use elastic)

Key fob metal clip thing (lol)

1 metal snap

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Archived