What will happen to your Stash?

What will happen to your stash, here's what will be happening to mine :D  

My two son-in-laws good heartily give me a hard time about my fabric stash and sometime ago asked what would happen to it when I die. (This event is not planned for many years i hope)

Told them it could all go to my much loved quilting friends, Shock,  Horror, I couldn't do that they said as it represented much of their wives inheritance so it must have some value!. (Both our daughters don't sew). 

After much thought and discussion they decided between them and in the best interests of their wives they would let folk choose what  they wanted and sell  the fabric by  supermarket sized bags. As my workroom was in the loft and not very large,  there would be no room for them up there to supervise. They then planned to hand out plastic supermarket bags at the bottom of the stairs and would charge per bag on the way down.

Laughingly I told them that being quilters they would not only fill a bag but would also stuff it in pockets , down their knickers, up their jumpers, pretend they were multiple scarfs and find other ingenious ways of hiding fabric.  After all some are experts at this. The SIL's reply was, " Don't worry , we will weight them when they go up and we'll weight them when they come down, so  we'll sell it by weight " :D  

Cheeky fellows, but I do love them dearly

Yvonne

My Daughter has mentioned that she would like me to leave her my fabric stash and all my other Quilting goodies. I told her if she doesn't start to show an interest in quilting that I would state in my Will to have it all auctioned off and divided between her and her Brother.

I have told my husband not to sell it on a rummage sale.  Let my quilting friends have what they want and donate the rest to the church quilt group or guild charity quilts.  I have also made it perfectly clear that his 2nd wife is not to have it....nor is he allowed to bring her to my funeral.  Cheryl

well I have two quilter friends who wanted me to will them my stash...but lately...I not so sure....seems like their stash are getting quite large too....I dunno what we will do....Oh well....I will quilt up as much of it as possible before I go....that is my retirement goal now  :)  I keep hoping someone in the family gets the quilting bug...but so far no....will have to work on the nephew and niece....I have let them steer Lucey a bit....but a 5 and 8 they are still a bit young...Lin

Several years ago, I took a class from Bonnie Hunter.  She told us that she had instructed her DH to put her stash on tables at the back of the church so that quilting friends leaving her funeral could each take a piece of fabric to remember her by.  I liked that idea, but now I realize I have many more pieces of fabric than friends.

What will happen to my stash, you ask??? :)

Well, just like all of my money that I've saved, I plan to use all of it up (and my fabric) before I die. :rolleyes:  we shall see. Perhaps I should plan a year long cruise around the world with my sewing machine and my stash will spend the $$ and use up my fabric, too.

Anyone wanna join me?  We could extend our stay in exotic places around the world, to include a nice visit to New Zealand to see our lovely Von Roberts! And while there, we can help her to deplete her stash.

Hmmmm..... :D

Brilliant!

Then I will only need to live to 175!

Count me in.

What will happen to my stash, you ask??? :)

Well, just like all of my money that I've saved, I plan to use all of it up (and my fabric) before I die. :rolleyes:  we shall see. Perhaps I should plan a year long cruise around the world with my sewing machine and my stash will spend the $$ and use up my fabric, too.

Anyone wanna join me?  We could extend our stay in exotic places around the world, to include a nice visit to New Zealand to see our lovely Von Roberts! And while there, we can help her to deplete her stash.

Hmmmm..... :D

Brillent proposal Shana,  cruise ships do spend a day here in Picton so we could all have a pretty good time together.  Probably need more than a day tho to check out the stash!  As well you could all add to your own with NZ themed and printed fabric. Could possibly pick up some from Australia as you pass. The options are endless :D  

Yvonne

ps What is Gray Goose????

More good news, Shana.

If we run out of GG, we can switch to wine!

Travel, GG, wine & fabric.

What could be better?

Obviously I'm not a vodka drinker!  but we do have great wines here in NZ. That could well be an added attraction for a visit.

I asked my dear daughter what would happen to my quilting machines,  she said she would keep them,  then I asked, what if your brother is married by then, and she said, " I'll see if I like her!"  cheeky brat,,  but use it up or give it away before that evential day, cause otherwise someone will use it as a grease rag.  I can hardly imagine the horror, but it just might.  My friend just donated a huge amount to our local Pregnancy outreach, where one gal teaches them how to quilt.  Wow, new material to use.....  My friend also doesn't intend to stop purchasing material in the near future,  she just needed some new room to stash her stash.  LOL

Happy New years whatever you decide.

A few years ago, when my dad passed away, my brother, sister, a niece and nephew and my son and I were making the arrangements.  While having lunch, my brother says, "we have enough money we can get you a plot next to mom and dad."  I say, no thanks, I want to be cremated.  Just cremate me with my fabric and plant me with dad.... Well, my son says--without even changing facial expressions-WELL, THAT WILL BE A  BIG *SS  FIRE!!...not sure if he meant it by the size of his mother, or the amount of fabric I own..out of the mouths of babes--he was 26 at the time :P

Archived