NQR I'm at wits end.

I don't know if I'm looking for understanding, sympathy or just need to blow off steem.

In early Nov. our heat pack (what is often called a heat pump) went out.  Various adjustments,

parts, work, not working, work, not working, fianlly in early Feb. it got fixed, but we were told

"it might make it thru the summer, and we needed to be saving up $$!"

Then right about Christmas, the Washer went out.  it was the switch $$ to get fixed.

Then right after the New Year, the dryer needed fixing, more $$

next was the fridge which also blew the microwave.
$$ to fix fridge, shut it off complewtely for 48 hours and $$ for MW.

then the dryer went out again.  more $$..

We thought we were clear as only the cook stove and dishwasher hadn't gone out.

Wrong.. the TV quit.  Old style and very heavy.  $$ new TV

The funds we had to put windows in to help ward off the winter depression,

is gone, then we got a $2,316. bill from the hospital and $58 for meds they

used and didn't get paid for.

Just breathing a wee bit when we found out the drain lines from the ceptic have

to be replaced in the near future, or have the ceptic drained every year.

Then we got the near $500. propane bill and another $400. for monthly meds, that use to be paid for.

It's for my low white cell counts, so really needed.  Can't afford anywhere close to that amount

per month.

Contacted Corum about the Hizentra and possible assistance, and they say our income is too

high to get any help.

Then I think I mentioned my Viking, Designer 1USB went out.  Sewing along and it popped into

embroidery mode and won't come out.  Pressure foot wont lower to sew.  Am sick.. am tempted to sell

it for parts.  In a brief conversation with a repair site, we were told minimum of $100. to check clean and make

any normal adjustments, and that it sounds like one, if not two of the computer boards went out, so$$$$$$$

I'm so disappointed when we've made sure we've paid all bills on time and carried a great credit record.

Now this. 

Don't know where to turn, what to do, what to sell next.. trying to sell large blue sofa, two recliners, and can't

even sell it.  Nor the Plate Steel wood burning stove with fan.  Black Bart, so not cheap.  Can't seem to sell

it either.   Highest offer for the seldom used sofa we bought for $800 is an insulting $50.

I'm starting to bawl, depressed, don't want to get out, don't want to stay home.  I'd like to run away..

Thanks for listening,, meanwhile if you have about $15,000 on hand that is just wasting away, that might set us

right. 

Won't file bankruptc7, may just get evicted for the due bills even though we pay what we can,

and that's usually more than we need to pay.   If we didn't pay a bit over, we still wouldn't have enough to

pay all this, and do anything and the deck is so bad, boards are holding water, 3 are fairly soft, spongy.

It seems like everything needs help all at once, and we can't do much of anything.

Sorry to blow off, or bawl on your shoulder,  I'm just about beside myself.. it's affecting my health, too.

Rita

Libby - I feel your pain.  I retired early, which probably wasn't the wisest move financially, but it has certainly saved what was left of my sanity.  I know this probably isn't the best support you were looking for, but check your list of the things that broke.  You do need your heat pump, washer and dryer, but you could read a book instead of getting a new TV.  You could cook food the old fashioned way instead of buying a new microwave.  

Do follow Lynn's advice and look for cheaper options on getting prescription meds, etc.  There are resources out there that can help.  I find the mail-order pharmacy is always lots cheaper than the local.  It's awful that so many things hit you at the same time.  Do your best to pare back where you can and just keep on keepin' on.  That's the best we can do sometimes.

I've just applied for several part-time jobs to help here.  Some unexpected medical bills, damage from the storm (which, thankfully, insurance covered most of), and just things wearing out unexpectedly (me, for instance), have really upset my budget.

Big hugs -- it's amazing what we can get through when we put our shoulder to the wheel.

I had to retire early too due to health issues....so far I am doing ok...but do worry about the future....figure...I do the best I can...for as long as I can....and that is all I can do.....prioritize what you need to do to survive.....make the list....talk to the creditors...like the hospital...try and get a payment plan that will work....pumping the septic every year for now may be what you can afford....we had septic tanks when we were kids...dad used to dig up the lid and haul the gunk out by pail as they could not afford the pumper people or to do a new drain fields....very glad when city sewer came in...but then of course, they had the assessment to pay on for years....if you have clothes lines...you could use them instead of the dryer for now...we had them both outside and down the basement....I know physical problems are a limitation....just wash what and when you can.....I have tried to scale everything back to more like it was when I was a student....good practice now for my retirement....I am taking movies and books out of the library and don't have cable or dish or an I-phone.....cooking more at home...seldom eat out at a fancy place....figure if I live long enough....I will be depend for some things to get along as I never earned any of those 6 figure jobs....but it is what it is what it is....just gotta do the best you can with what you have....I do truly enjoy doing "free" things....which I am grateful for...like watching a sunset, watching birds and squirrels, talking with friends....walking when I am able...I in an odd sort of way miss the freedom I had when I was a student....which was..."what are they going to take if I can't pay my bills?"  wasn't much they would want.....and I really didn't have many money worry's because I didn't have any....so it was very easy to decide what to do with it.....I know...weird thought.....but now I have a little squirreled away...so now I have to worry about it....ok...I really, really want my money to last as long as I do......but who knows if it will?  Worry and act on what you can actually change and let the rest go........Lin 

Hi Lynn and Linda,

Yes he is retired after 22 years in the AF.  TriCare for Life really doesn't cover everything, and since this is a liquid med that I have to infuse in my belly fat (can't reach my butt any more)

they won't deal with it.  Medicare was paying since I also need the equipment.. don't know whats happened now.

I have so many sensitivities to meds that its' neigh onto possible to use mail order.. even though I hear they are fairly quick. A for instance, when the copd acts up, and I catch it before I have to go in the hosp. I need the antibiotics, the steroids and nystating right then not two days later.

My body is falling apart and wearing out joint by joint and muscle by muscle.

So While the mail order meds are good for some, in many ways wouldn't work for me.  They put me on a med and 4 days later have to change it and try to find another med.

While I love giving the unused meds to Helping Hands Clinic, it's sad they aren't able to be used for me as prescribed.  If they'd only permit smaller batches, it would help a lot.

Yes the TV was an extravagence,  the microwave is only used to reheat some foods or heat tea/hot choco water.

We used powdered milk as much as we can, the hot choco won't be replaced when we use the last bit.  The rice bag heating packs I can't heat in/on the regular stove.

I've been baking all our bread, using up what meat we have in the fridge freezer and the big freezer..  Getting pretty fancy with what foods we do cook.  Very little quick meals, TV dinners, etc.  Usually only on Sew days with the Guild.

Use a less costly tissue and it's Rough.

I was raised in the early 40's until I hit 20, in homes that were poor.  I didn't know it then, but we learned to do without and make do with what we have.  I seldom bake other than the bread, don't buy premade pie crusts, won't change dish soap (I'm allergic to most) laundry soap and bath bars,

I try to sell off what we have that isn't doing anything for us, helping us in any way by keeping it.  The sofa like new, the wood burning stove, the bbq, quilt related tohings I don't use, etc.

Linda, I'm sorry you are going thru a lot of the same things.. I so wish it were different, and will keep you in prayers.

Yes, had it not all hit in the space of 2 1/2 months, we would be able to handle it.  But not this way.

Car is getting old, he is getting old and lifting the gogo in and out of the back is quite a job for a man that's 78.   We need an auto lift of some kind.

It goes on and on.

Thanks for your compassion and suggestions.

Rita

Rita, do you have kids?  If so, you gave them a lot, and gave up a lot for them.  I know you would hate to ask, but they may be willing to help on the meds. We helped our parents, and it wasn't a burden.  Sometimes our kids just don't know we need help,but when they do know, they are glad to be asked.  Maybe it's time for some downsizing, or a move to a place where things are handled for you.  Sorry you are having such a hard time.  It's expensive to get older and less healthy.

Rita,

sorry to hear it is storming so badly for you.  Have you tried calling the drug company that makes the drug you need?  They often provide coupons for people in need.  Also check with the dr to see if you can get samples for any of your meds.  Are you able to do a reverse mortgage?  I wish I could think of other things to help you out.  If I hear of anybody in your area that needs a couch I'll yell.  ((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))) to you.

Thanks ladies.. I've tried most things suggested.  The problem with moving is to do it costs more $$.  Rehook utilities, relicense car, and change info on everything from Yahoo to the mortgague company, also $$ to be paid in advance to get into an assisted care, plus, very few have room for sewing, at least not that Ive seen around here.

We refinanced the mortgage before it became "fashionable"  and it cost  a LOT just to do that.  Reverse mortgage would hurt the kids in the end.  The one kid who would help, already stretches her dollars beyond belief, and the other though she has a lot of $$ to blow, isn't saving a dollar and I'll not be accused of needing her help so badly, that she couldn't put any away for her retirement.  And she would remind the other daughter  of that for the rest of their lives.  I hope I never put the helpful one, willing if possible for her, through the fuss it would cause her, from her sis.

Family complexities rear their ugly heads from time to time.

Thanks for the prayers, and hugs (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((friends)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Rita

We are on Tricare for Life and Mike has that and Medicare.  Between the two his meds are pretty much covered.  Do you get the Tricare newsletter.  I believe that if you go to a Military Base for meds they are nearly nothing.  We have discussed doing that as well.  Also many drug companies will help you out with your meds if you contact them.  Perhaps your Dr. would ask for you.  Blessings.

Rita, I'm sorry you are having so many issues to have to deal with of late.  May I make a suggestion.  IF you have lost electrical power before all your appliances started going out, you may have the wrong voltage coming into your house.  It would be worth a try to have that checked out.  If it turns out you are being fed the wrong voltage due to replacement of a transformer, fuse, etc., then your home insurance may be able to cover all the electrical appliances going out.  If happened to us in 2012, and it was as you said.  First it was the washer, then the dryer, then this and that.  We knew when the electricity had gone out, talked to the electric guy that changed the fuse on the top of the pole, and he forgot to check the wattage after he changed the fuse.  The electric company was feeding us too much and it was blowing lightbulbs and taking out our appliances one by one.  I was just fortunate that I had my long arm machine unplugged or else it might have been affected!  If you or someone you know has a volt meter, you might want to check the voltage coming in the house.  If in doubt, call your electric company especially if you know there's been a problem before all the appliances started going out.

Yes, Cindy, that is a great thing to do.  I wish I could reach out and help right now.  We also have Tricare and I was told that getting meds at the base is cheaper.  It is an hour away, so not sure if we are going to do it.  It does seem like everything goes out at once, but you have really had a lot in a short span of time!  My husband recently retired and we worry, too, about money, but my mom was an expert cheapskate and I learned from the best!  It sounds like everyone has given you excellent advice.  I would prioritize, rent, food, utilities first.  The rest should let you make small payments.  I would not sell my sewing machine if I were you, you will not get what it is worth, and you may regret that later when you need to sew to keep your sanity.  Let it sit until you can get it fixed.  It is nice to worry about what you are going to leave for the kids, but it will not help them now if you cannot keep up due to hardship.  If you have to get a reverse mortgage, it may just be what is necessary.  In the long run, they will just have to understand.  I hope you vent whenever you want, if it helps in any way.  I send hugs and please let us know how you are doing.

Thanks again ladies, those hugs, prayers, positive suggestions and thoughts all help.  Slowly, things seem, seem mind you, to be taking a turn towards the better.

By constant badgering I finally got himself to do something besides sit while I do it.  He did call Hizentra. via Corum, the company that distributes the meds, and arranged payments.  Since that wasn't close to what he was to check on, I badgered again until he called again and asked them to find out WHY we are suddenly getting charged.  They told him they would check and get right back to him.. several days and nothing.  He doesn't think it is necessary to call again.!

I do.   Getting right back to me isn't several days..

Then oddly, after sitting for  over 6 years the old DMQS machine, a few of us had them before we got the apqs machines, has finally sold.. and also the new little laptop that was supposed to be a tablet, I sold yesterday..   I have a former student bringing me the quilt top  she was making in a class I taught.  She decided she wanted to frog it and in her words, Press, nip threads and give you a new top to work on" 

I quoted her my price that most people blanch over,  and she didn't bat an eye.  She contacted me on Face Book, and will be bringing the quilt over, probably one day early next week.  A real job after 5 no income quilts.. just costs minus labor.  This feels good too, and helps along the way.

Then since our ISP, Cable and phone co. went all digital on the TV's we've had trouble with the TV end.  New remotes won't work, have to turn TV on with old remote, change channels with the new, use old to run a DVD or CD, and volume  with the old..   Actually himself called them this morning about it and they will be out sometime today.. he is so he says, tell them I'm disappointed in having to pay for something we aren't getting properly, and something has to be done.

He said he would "try to remember" to call the power company and have someone come out and check the voltage..  He didn;t say when so doubt he calls today.  Why get it all done at once?? ROFL   Maybe to have it over and done with.

I've found some wooly nylon, I haven't used in a log time, a lot of Sulky Rayon, some spools never opened, and some MaxiLock I have more than enough of.  Will sell all that and get a few threads I do need.. have needed and not gotten.

And so the list goes on.  It will be hard to get the rest I need when I get home, and not rush right into those lists.

I'm feeling better mentally and emotionally, just need to get back off these steroids.  120 mg every 6 hours.  has hit my taste and very little food tastes good.

I can stand to lose a few pounds and especially after gorging over goodies I knew I'd lose the taste for.

My one and only daffy or narcissis plant that has budded, Sun afternoon  burst into bloom just a couple hours before I came in the hospital.  Can hardly wait to get home and see it and more.

We waited too long when  we got the new appliances, 8 years ago, to apply for energy efficiency rates.. will definitely get it on the new heat pack, or heat pump.   Frankly wish I could still get the radiant heat wall units.. they had, in my opinion, next to the best and consistant heat production.  Wood burning stoves are first in my book, but I just can't get around them or use them any more.

Getting well feels good.. and I do so appreciate all the help and love and prayers from you gals. and guys.

God Bless,

Rita

Rita, I just want to say I'm sorry for all this happening to you at once. I can relate a bit as the last two years have been hard physically, emotionally, and financially, losing two of my big regular work clients due to retirement and electronic medical records, and my body not doing as well as I'd like so I can get a "real job." Can't say as I've had so many hardships as you've been hit with but enough that I know some of how you are feeling and the depression that follows. I'm thinking and praying for you that things only get better. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Rita, do you use facebook? In our area, we have several facebook groups that people join to sell items that they no longer use. It might be an idea to see if there are any facebook groups in your area should you need a microwave or something like that. Or maybe a place that you could sell your couch and get a little more for it. To look on facebook for a group near you, try typing in your town name (or surrounding towns, or county) and see what comes up. Anyway, just a thought that popped into my head. 

Read through all these comments, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. So many people are dealing with so many problems - our family is no different, we too are economizing and trying to figure out ways to produce more income.

I definitely recommend that you ask for "patient assistance" through drug companies that make your meds, some may not be able to help if you are on Medicare. Definitely follow up on any calls that you place and document who you talked to, date, time, and what was discussed and/or promised, ask if they have documented this on you account, if they don't call back in the time frame they promise, call back and start repeating names and promised action and ask about status of these promised actions. True it may take them longer than promised to get done, but don't give up, be as pleasant as possible and if not getting somewhere, ask for a supervisor. (You might say, "it's seems that you are unable to do anything further to help me and I appreciate your help, is there someone else who can help me, like a supervisor?"). You may spent a lot of time on the phone, but it's worth it to get help or correct problems. Just happened to me yesterday, took 45 mins on phone, but problem resolved and saved me $$$$ !

Glad to hear you are feeling better, those steroids are really rough to take, especially at your doses! (I'm in the medical field, so I can sympathize with what you are talking about)

Hugs & well wishes

Thanks,, everyone.   Well yesterdays upswing of feeling improved disappeared sometime after 9 this morning. Don't think I need to be going home today.  They added codeine~!!  Can anyone fly high on steroids and codeine?  I sure can.

Other than that, things are continuing on, some getting done, some can't be done yet.

Himself wants to wait until the painters are there, to patch nail and bulldog holes in the walls.  I threatened to do it, and I just may.  There is no reason or excuse to hold them up even for less than an hour Just because of an unfilled hole he wants to use wet patch on.   Chair rails need to come down and the build-up of paint needs to be scraped and sanded.. I can't do that because of the dust..  I can find things to do that I can take care of.   Maybe that will keep him moving even if it is in slow speed.

The Lord is Good.

Happy smiles to everyone.. all day.. may it be a peaceful, fruitful one.

Big Hugs..............

Rita

Archived