What type of storage do you use under your Longarms?

Hi Friends,

Looking for your advice on storage for underneath Miss Millie.  What is it that you would recommend that will store all of the threads/bobbins and essentials that won't get in my way.

All recommendations are welcome!

Thanks Friends,

Warm Regards,

Patrice

There are so many options, it really depends what items you'll be storing.

After you have a good idea what you need, you can visit Ikea, Target, Walmart.

It gets linty under there, so I'd suggest something that closes up so your items don't get

Many have a batting bar underneath, since the roll batting is so cumbersome.

Before you put anything under there, you'll need to tie up all your cords so they don't get caught up.

Dave Jones did this for me and it works great.

He mounted a power strip onto the inside of the back rail using zip ties and then zip tied all the cords in place to keep them out of the way.

Good idea with the power strip Meg!  I don't have much under mine so I can move my saddle stool back and for while doing custom, but at one end I do have my thread cabinet from Ikea and at the other end I keep my small air compressor…..I'd love to put a batting bar underneath but haven't gotten around to doing that yet...

I have my power strip zip tied like Meg.  I have a rope that I put rolls of batting on and I can store two under my machine.  I also have a cabinet that I got from Michaels that has little section cubicles on top that I can put different tools in, oil bottle, small rulers, screw drivers, whatever I need to grab quickly and frequently.  This cabinet also has 3 pull out drawers (made out of that fabric that the cubicle boxes are made out of) that I can put my other rulers and such in.  On the side of said storage it even has a place to hang a roll of paper towels.   

Yes, I was going to ask the same question," Can someone take a pic of power strip tie set up." I would love to get my cord up so I can use the space under my table.

That said, I have a bin of fabric and a air compressor on one end. On the other I have a basket of scraps and a light setup on wheels if I want to use table top to trace something out. K

Under the back of the frame I have several 3 drawer Sterilite drawer things. Each drawer has a line of thread. Bottom line, lava, so fine, etc. in the front I have a 3 drawer small dresser from ikea that my Quiltazoid lives in. At the other end I have more of those plastic drawer things with rulers, stencils, etc. on the wall at the end of the machine I have wire shelves with marking tools and bobbin winder and next to that I have little locking boxes found at staples that house my prewounds bobbins. One color for each container.

I store my batting in a closet type area, under the table for me would get my batting covered in strings. I'm messy.

Shirley

Right now the only things that I have under my table are a small air compressor, rolling stool and a basket at each end.   Threads and tools are nearby in stackable drawers.  I have rolls of batting in a closet under the stairs, right around the corner from my quilting area.  I posted pictures in another thread showing how DH has mounted a power strip and tied up all of the cords.  Here is the link:

http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/topic/35329-drag-from-millennium-cord/?hl=cords#entry490270

Heidi, I like your drawer unit from Michaels, great idea with the towel dispenser for cleanups.

I have a cabinet from Tracey's Tables that I keep my thread in. It has two drawers which hold Bottom Line and So-Fine Thread and the top smaller drawer has my rulers. I got it through Nancy's Notions. It comes on wheels and it fits under the longarm if I wanted to put it there.

Tracey's Tables website is www.traceystables.com. I can't put it under the machine because I have large plastic tubs with fabric and batting under there now.

Here is mine. The power cord is zip tied in the back. I still need to get a few more plastic drawer units under. I keep all my extra threads, long arm rulers, bobbins and other things I use alot. I have my large custom made cutting table right behind that I use for batting storage and other supplies. It keeps everything fairly neat and works for me.

1618710_650465771676846_1815354607_n.jpg

Look out, Roseann! That is some serious storage and a really serious quilting studio! A REAL fireplace and room to move around and a dedicated cutting area! Wow! I am so impressed. It is my goal if I live long enough to add on to my quilty room just for me. Not for customer quilts or anything of the sort. But...I wanna play and get my friends to come over and playyyy too!

This photo is hard to see, but I like having my Circle Lord boards underneath and so I could also have some totes, my husband built this simple shelf so I can have both, then I just cover with a piece of clear vinyl for dust, threads, etc . . . I like using the room under there but I like a lot of "toe room" too?

that cord across the front is my foot pedal advance - I too had Dave Jones put my cords up under the back off the floor!!!!  His lights are great!

post-5591-0-60357900-1396878580_thumb.jpg

I don't store anything under my table other than a small basket of fabric and batting scraps at one end. I like to get in the middle of the table to load my quilts and I can't stand kicking anything that would be stored. It also gives me leg room for my saddle stool. Like Shana, just my preference.

You guys just kill me with your perfect storage units with it all nice and organized and thread that has no tails and is not tipped over and the storage units are actually dusted!  And Shana, you have nothing under your machine!  Goodness, my room looks like an F4 tornado ran though and that's when I clean it up.  Apparently I am so visual (and forgetful) that everything must be out in the open for me to see it to remember I have it in order to use it.  Then I am visually distracted which drives me crazy (I prefer mostly blank walls or nicely displayed in a couple areas).  Someone once told me it was all about, "Looking your best!"  I thought about that and decided to "not look!"

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I can attach this too, but here are a couple GREAT ideas from this forum that I saved?!

I love the box. I showed the picture to my husband and I had him make me one this weekend just like in the picture you posted so I can keep my rolls of batting in it. The box is 4 feet long by 2 feet wide by 22 inches tall with roller wheels on the bottom. It will hold the batting rolls that I have with room to spare. It also fits under the table part of the frame. As soon as I get it painted I won't have rolls of batting standing on end in the corner of the room with my cats sleeping on them. I will put a tall chair in place of the batting. It probably won't take them long to discover the box though.

I also had him strap my power strip to the bar under the middle of the table like others are showing.

Thanks everyone for this great thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived