Quit of valor

As a former military member of your allied forces, I would like to thank you for remembering and honoring the sacrifices of the few.  I feel certain any service member of your proud Canadian forces will honor and cherish your memorial of their devotion to your country.  Thank you for piecing and quilting it, and more so for sharing it with us.  Have a wonderful and Blessed day.

Cagey

Cagey you put the words in my mouth!   I wonder if any of our veteran quilters ever received a QOV.   I haven't but that's ok, it's better to give than receive.  I'll get one someday when I'm in the "Old sailors home" and will totally appreciate it.

I have only been quilting since the end of Oct.. This was my second QOV quilt, and I have enough fabric to make 1 more..

I have pieced and quilted 10 quilts since the end of Oct, and only kept one ( a hockey quilt since love hockey ).. The rest I have given to family members.. I even gave a star wars quilt to one of the quilt shop owners as she was a big star wars fan..

I love the quilt.  I have a question and hopefully someone can help me.  I am trying to do a quilt for QOV today and the top is a combination of red white and navy blue some of it is printed and some it very solid.  My problem is the backing.  It is a non bleached muslin.  It is very nice but my problem is when I test thread color the light colors like white or off white and even very light pink and also beige colors and so on  it comes out looking decent but still not good.  But using the same type of thread just trying out the darker colors Navy blue, maroons and lighter blues and lighter reds it looks awful on the back I have tried regulated stitching and non regulated.  I have changed needles and I also tried top and bottom color different but it isn't going to come out right. So how do I quilt this knowing the top will be nice but the back will look like a chicken walked all over it? Im so frustrated with this

.post-67672-0-56198300-1457197054_thumb.jpgpost-67672-0-16835000-1457197223_thumb.jpgpost-67672-0-21290500-1457197533_thumb.jpgpost-67672-0-21665700-1457197770_thumb.jpg

Just remember this is all testing not my real work and if I get the pictures uploaded hopefully you will see what I am talking about.

Help need ASAP

I would go with a light color on the back that will not stand out so robustly, knowing that you more than likely will get an occasional peak thru on the front where the top thread pulls the bobbin thread to the top.  You could also switch over to a fine 80 to 100 weight bottom thread that would not stand out as much on the back.  The back quilting would be more subdued with a fine thread.  Try using a Superior Bottom Line thread on the back. I hope that helps.

Cagey

Thank you Cagey.  I contacted the lady that sent me the top and back and we decided to do a blue backing that I had on hand and it is working out fine now.  Sometimes it is just hard to figure out what to do and keep things the best they need to be.  It just blows my mind how a light thread can look  so good and then the same identical thread just a darker color can really look terrible.  If anyone can offer me more info about deciding thread choices I would love it.

fbaldwin

imback0060@sbcglobal.net

Archived