A Feathery Finish

I was able to get a better picture of the back during the daylight.

I just wish I'd had time to stipple around the feather wreaths and the triangle feathers but my friend was thrilled that I got it done at all. The triangle feathers are a stencil but everything else is freehand.

The border is going to be scalloped and she had drawn the cutting line for me but left the borders straight.

I didn't even take any pictures of the front. The area where the feathers are was a floral fabric and the quilting didn't show and the quilt is for a shop hop and I didn't want to show the quilt on here before it is shown in the shop.

post--13461898207125_thumb.jpg

Judy,

Where did you get the stencils that you used in this quilt....they are a must add to my collection if you can remember please. How did you mark the quilt so that you were able to keep each of the feathers in the border so even and uniform...I can mark the spins with a template, but when I seem to put the humps in I don't always make them uniform. I see where some of yours also have a few more here and there, but they still look uniform. What is your secret, beside PPP....:)

Bonnie:

I'll have to check on that triangle stencil when I go downstairs. There are two sizes - the smaller one was used in the corners.

About the feathers - if I'm doing a quilt for a customer, I will draft the curve for the spine, then make a template which is just the spine and a dotted line for the distance I want to go out with the feathers. (very bad image below)

This particular quilt I had to get done in 2 days and all I did was mark the spine based on the curve my friend had drawn for the outer scallop of the edge of the quilt. Since I knew I didn't have time to do a lot of microstippling, I wanted the feathers to be BIG. It takes way less time to make big feathers than it does to stipple (or at least that's how it is for me).

BTW, I didn't charge for this quilt as I never charge this friend for her quilting so pretty much no matter what I do, she's always happy!

post--13461898207569_thumb.jpg

Archived