Competing with a computized longarmer

Ok, here's the story. Recently one of my customers told me that there is a new Gammil with a Statler Sticher in town and that there is a lot of "Buzz" about her and alot of people are drifting towards her. I for one have not seen a change in my business flow/ customers so far but this could change in the future.

Today I stopped by my LQS to drop off a quilt to one of the employees there and to do a little show and tell (always a good way to hand out brochures ect...) plus the same employee also said that my brochures were gone and needed to be replaced. While I was there I did hand out some brochures to prospective new clients that were interrested in my work but I noticed a quilt that this new quilter did on her Gammil Statler Sticher that was hanging on the wall. It was really something, and I could see why she has the"buz" right now. I have never been afraid or worried about other competion in the area because I am secure in what I have to offer as a business and with my quality of work. But after seeing this other quilters work I am wondering how am I going to be able to compete with a computerized longarmer (that is pretty darn good) without buying a compuquilter and upgrading my Liberty to a Millie

(which I can't afford to do right now).

Like I said, so far I have not seen a decline in my business but the longarm population for hire in my area has seem to trippled in the past year and now someone in the area that has a staler stitcher and really knows how to use it as well. So how do you compete with something like this? I am not sure of her pricing. And right now I think alot of people are trying her because she's the new novelty, but with that said

how would you handle this?

If the new longarmer charges close to the same as you do, she is just straight-across competition.

If she gobbles up extra business because she can turn a quilt back more quickly and thus has lower prices, you may have a reason to be alarmed.

Remember though, she has twice as much money invested in her set-up and it is unlikely that her prices would be lower.

I am more afraid of competition that is under-priced rather than the one that is over-mechanized. Stick with what you are doing and keep those customers happy now. If a few wander away, they will be back because of you and your talent, attitude, and experience.

Please try not to agonize over what you cannot control. (I know--easy for me to say!! But it is so true!) Good luck, Joann.

Guest Linda S

Tip: Did you check the back of the quilt? I've seen several quilts done on a Statler, and the back was not something I would let out of my studio.

Linda

I do know that she was offering 25% off to any of the employees from the store (a good way to get her name out there...but she really dosen't need to do that because her work speaks for itself).

No I wasn't able to veiw the back of the quilt because it was hanging behind the register. But the front was really nice. It was a Christmas Pinwheel quilt done in poisettia fabrics that had a little glitz to them and she used a gold metallic thread and did feather wreaths in the alternate blocks and then did curls rotating from the center of the pinwheel blocks. Pumpkin seed border in a 2" border and a pretty curls in the outer border to cordinate with the pinwheel blocks. Very pretty, the right amount of quilting perfect design choice etc...enough so that when ever I looked away from it my eye was constantly being drawn to it. This is why I wrote this topic. No other quilt has drawn me into it before like this one has. She has that something special that shows through in her quilting.

So like I said not a threat to me as of yet, but I would like to be able to keep up, if you know what I mean, lol.

I was already planning to alter my pricing in January. Instead of charging a flat rate of .015 per sq inch for ETE designs I was planning on breaking my Pantos into 3 catagories (light, med., and heavy density) the med. density being the .015 per sq inch, the light density (super fast quilting)being .0125 per sq inch, and then for heavy density .0175 per sq inch.

This way the customer will have more choice in her final price by the design she wants quilted on her quilt. I am also doing away with all of my promos in 2008 except the Quilter's Dozen promo I have. My machine is paid for so I am not worried about making payments or anything. And my pricing is very competitive for the area.

I am just trying to strategize, so it dosen't end up being a bigger problem down the road. So any and all comments would be most appreciated :)

Thanks

Hi Joann

I have a Compuquilter and love what it can do for me (and my customers) it is so perfect BUT there are things at the moment that any computerised system does not do as well as I do when in hand-guided mode.

One is stitch in the ditch, the computerised machines can do that but its much slower than I would do it by hand - you might like to see if your "competitor" is doint stitch in the ditch. Often you find someone who hasn't had a machine before and gets a computerised machine first off does not have the skills or does not attempt to learn things like stitch in the ditch.

With some of the systems you can put a fill (meandering) behind pieced areas in blocks using the computer but this is very time consuming as each block needs to be adjusted according to the different piecing - I am sure you can offer beautiful freehand behind pieced blocks that she, almost certainly is not able to do at least right now.

Lastly, people bring their quilts to us for a number of reasons - price, quality of work, short wait time and just for the experience of chatting to someone who understands how much work they have put into the piecing - you are right not to worry, I am sure after the intial novelty of this new quilter you will continue to be as busy, if not busier than you are now.

Some people even like small imperfections of hand-guided work .

Good luck, it sounds like you already have a happy customer base.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

I for one am surounded by computerized machines. We have a compuquilter about 5 miles from me and a Gammill dealer 3 miles from me. There is another machine less than 5 miles from me but I'm not sure if her machine is computerized or not. My business has slacked off in this area so I found another source of quilts. We are all kept pretty busy here though, we are not ever without quilts to do. We got into this business many years ago when it was really just getting started and we are retiring in 2 years although my machine is going with me for my own use and a few friends. As long as you do your best work and keep your prices competitive you should be alright. The computerized machines take a little longer to do a quilt because of of all the adjustments but that's why most of the ladies I know have more than one machine. I have to admit, if I were just starting out, I would probably buy a computerized machine also. Just keep on doing your best like I said and some of the customers that will leave to try the new quilter will eventually come back you. That has happened in my case. With all the home machines out there, everyone is feeling the pinch I think. I got in at the right time and it looks like I'll be getting out at a good time also. Like Sue said, not everyone looks for perfection. They can go to the store and buy that.

Hey Carol....I thought I was 15 miles from you...not 5, maybe it is 10? :D:PLOL

There are somethings that do take longer with a computerized machine. But, I love what can be stitched with the my CQ and my clients love what it can do. I didn't start out with a CQ, but decided to add it a year ago to my business. In part, it does take out a lot of the physical wear and tear on the body. If I started a business again I would start with a computerized system.

Carol is right....there are more and more computerized systems around. In the Richmond, VA area there are at least 10 computerized systems (CQ's and Statlers) and that is not counting all the other long-armers who are in business and those who own them for their own use. I think we have at least 24 people in the area with LA's and some with mid-arms. Competition is increasing for business. We are not that large of a metropolitan area.

As for competing against someone with a computerized system...I am not a good one to ask. I just know that at some point our area will be so inundated with machines (if it isn't already) that if you are not established you may have problems sustaining a business.

Good Luck,

Cheryl

Hey Joann,

Hi, I've only gotten one paying customer so far, but I'm going through a divorce right now and I'm trying to put my house on the market (I know I know, slow housing market). But I can't afford to keep the house and I get the profit from the sale. I will need to move and I'm a little concerned about getting business while I'm new and I also don't have a CQ at this point. I went to Quilters Oasis during the shop hop and they seem to have all the long armers they can handle. The owner was nice but it was apparent they don't need anymore LAers. So, I've visited some of the shops far out from the city. Hopefully that will turn the tide here and get some paying customers in. You have a very strong customer base. I wouldn't worry. You are a talented quilter and your customers keep coming back to you. Take care, Renee

I wish you all the best but it is true that a computerized quilter will be able to offer designs that a freehand quilter cannot. This is a reality.

I do both. I have a CQ on one Machine and I freehand with another. The tension on my CQ is PERFECT. My customers in the past have loved the choices it affords them for ETE designs.

Although I have stopped taking quilts recently for a while anyway I can understand the position you are in. I felt that way when I first got my machine and it didn't have CQ.

The industy is changing all the time and with women wanting to do this to earn a living a Computerized system will eventually be in most studios I think. Regardless of the one you choose.

Don't get me wrong I applaud the freehand quilter as I am one first myself.

For those who quilt for the gratification and joy it is a different story. Competition quilters or those who enjoy this part of quilting and the recognition that comes with it do not own computerized systems in many cases. They like competing, teaching, writing books and the attention. Nothing at all wrong with that. Some are wanting to make a reputable Living and provide a good income. Doing this doesn't always give you time for the FUN things like doing a quilt for show or even attending some of the training classes. When we are not in our studios quilting we are not making MONEY.

I have to say I believe to compete in a market that is growing everyday and you want to EARN GOOD MONEY you will need to go computerized. This is of course in come cases dependant on where you live.

I do wish you all the best. My suggestion is to be VERY Good at a particular type of quilting or have a speciality that you can promote. Competition is going to always be a part of whatever you do in life. Seek avenues other than QUILTS.

Talk with Seamtresses, Wedding Dress makers, Decorators and upholstry companies. Lots of things can have a quilted touch to them. Look at other avenues for your quilting. Of course that is if you are interested in these avenues.

Best Wishes,

Grammie Tammie

Just gotta say, if it comes to every quilter having a computerized system...I will do this as a hobby or sell out. I am just totally not interested. I can see that if it turns out like you say, Grammie Tammie, we will need to keep up with the times -sink or swim...but I don't like the looks of computer quilted quilts. I could spot them a mile away at MQS last year and I just don't like them...they lacked depth or definition or something.

And I have to agree....I don't want anything that perfect. Will do the best for my customers as they come....but if this is going to be the new thing...I'm guessing me and my machine will just be doing for us...I think they are pretty in their own right, but just not for me. sorry:(

Hear hear for the hand guided girls! Before I ever got my girl I talked to a woman with a SS. She described it as being like doing machine embroidery. I have an embroidery machine, it's great fun, but I much prefer to be able to say that I did that myself. I may never be one of the top quilters that we have on this forum, but I'm having fun, making some money at it, and most of all, making others happy with my work.

Beth

I think competition comes in many forms.

I was in our town's night time quilt class at the high school last month when a woman stood up for Show'n'Tell with a lap-size quilt made for a little boy. It had been done on a Statler and had the most intricate caterpillars, small toys,etc (boy stuff). It was an edge to edge and the design elements were quilted perfectly. I know because I got up close and examined the stitching. ;)

Another lady stood up and showed a queen size Tennessee Waltz quilt done by the same quilter. The design element in each block was quite intricate and beautiful. I noticed that one row had been started maybe 2 or 3 threads from the corner and as it progressed across the quilt, the 2 or 3 threads ended up with a noticeable gap from the corner of the last block in the row. The computer did it's job in stitching the design element perfectly but the machine operator was not careful enough in lining up the needle. I don't think that the owner had even noticed the gap and I certainly was not going to tell her.

I wondered if I would ever get more work from this lady as I had done one queen-size for her already. Last week she dropped off another quilt for me. Woohoo. She told me that she would be putting both quilts in our local quilt show.

I guess that there is room for all kinds of quilters. You do need to find your niche, your specialty. If competition is fierce, you might have to revamp part of your business.

Maybe you could be the one who does the best T-shirt quilts or includes the binding as part of the service or the one who is not afraid to use specialty threads. In my town of 40,000 there are 5 longarmers and many, many shortarmers trying to quilt like a longarmer. It can be very discouraging at times.

If you love it as much as I do, (and I bet you do :) ) it is going to take more than the threat of competition to keep me away from my machine.

Yes...computers and robotics are here to stay and they are changing the way we do everything. I have the CQ. it takes a different skill-set all together and is useful for many reasons. I cant imagine doing a quilt without one and at the same time, I cant imagine exclusively using the CQ. I wonder what hand quilters said when the sewing machine was invented?

I'm not a pro ... yet... one thought I had was "computers can only custom quilt ( stitch) to a degree"... like outlining focus designs, etc... they'd spend a lot of time programming the size, width, and shape of a rose, a pansy, a jonquil and an iris.. for instance.. or freehand quilting around them and computer quilting around that.. not sure if I make sense or am clear.

Praise them to death, and ask your customers to stay with you, as you have been there for them.

RitaRose

I computerized my system a few years ago and have had a ball with new designs. I digitize my own patterns for the most part, I have purchaced 6 or so from another designer. But when I look at a quilt I want both freehand and the choice for a perfect motif or grid or what ever from a computerized machine. I combine my quilting with computerized, freehand, and templets, I'm loving it. I don't think that the computerized machines will replace the freehand, there is a spirt to doing feathers freehand and stippling, mctavishing, pebbles, and on and on, these are things that just arn't practical for the computerized machines to do. Besides sometimes I just want to go full head on and stipple the stuffings out of some quilts;)

I don't think computerized quilting lacks depth. Quilting is quilting with the difference being what design one chooses for the quilt. Maybe the design that was chosen for the quilt was not the right one. I think a wrong design choice will make or break the quilt and the computerized aspect has no play in the depth of the quilting.

When I first started quilting I was dead set against being computerized. I am so glad that I did get a CQ. As for not being my work....I digitize many of my own patterns...so it is my work and I have a blast doing it. I also freehand many quilts too on my Liberty (the CQ is on my Millie).

If you look at systems like Circle Lord or Hartley Fence....they have templates...it is just a different way of being accurate....it is not computerized. I prefer the computer, but that is my choice (Yes, I did own a Circle Lord and templates).

We each need to do what is best of ourselves. But I know in my area it is hard to compete with the gals that run the computerized systems so I got one. I'll repeat one more benefit of having a CQ is that it takes a lot of the physical wear and tear out of working and my body thanks me...LOL

Cheryl

I'm with Grammie, Michealalan, and Cheryl. I might not start out with a CQ but it is in the plans eventually. I would love to be able to do some things with the computer and then embellish around that with the freehand. Then other things would be one or the the other only. It's a tool to use like every other tool, you use it where it fits.

I have nothing against those who have their machines computerized. For me, it is a personal choice. I have not ordered my machine yet, but when I do, I will be getting mine "the old fashioned way." To me, longarm quilting is an art form. It's exactly like drawing on fabric. I enjoy looking over the designs people create for the beauty, not the perfection.

My reasoning for buying my machine is as a creative outlet first and foremost, and if business comes along that's a perk! I know others purchase a machine for business, and maybe those who do may feel differently:) I do know that there are a lot of talented people on this site regardless!

Just my two cents;)

Hi Joann,

I have seen the quilt that you are talking about. It is really pretty I did not know it was done by a SS. I have found that with that particular shop (I am saying this will love, she is my friend) she does show favoritism a bit towards certain LAer's as far as shop quilts go. When speaking to customers however she does state that any of the LAer's that have their cards and brochures in her shop are all equally wonderful at what they do and would quilt (insert customers name here) quilt beautifully. She is really fair in that respect.

I do agree with you all that probably every machine quilter will have a computer eventually. I'm just saying I won't. Mostly because funds are limited. I could never afford one and don't plan to make payments for the rest of my life. I just don't have the customer base to support it and I want to eventually make a profit form them venture, small as it may be. I guess maybe as much as I hate to say this out loud, maybe I will be the one doing all size quilts for $50. Ick, I don't even like the sounds of that.....

I have a Compuquilter and I love it, but... There are things a computerized system can't do and visa versa. It is very fun to create designs with and without a "system." And I don't think the computer saves time.

The price is the factor that will put limits on the number of computerized systems out there.

Here's what I think about competition. No one is going to get rich doing this. Lots of people buy longarms and end up not quilting for business. It's kind of like the number of people who get their real estate license. Not that many really make it a business. You have to market all the time to grow, but how big do you really want to get, anyway. You can only have so many quilts stacked up before your anxiety level gets out of control and you can only work on one at a time...

Our Sunday paper, Richmond Times Dispatch, did an article on one of our LAer's in the area. In fact, her shop is 6 miles from my house.

She is a Gammill rep., she runs 3 Statlers and one without, she has 2 employees and is set to quilt 1800 quilts this year. She states she quilts approximately 150 quilts a month.

Competition? Yes, finding a different outlet for quilting is important since she has most of Richmond, VA tied up and remaining competitive is also important.

Cheryl

Hi Mary Beth,

I'm with you and I've had this conversation before and got beat up pretty bad by the computerites on this list...but I had the same thing happened to me last year..A customer who made her very FIRST quilt brought it to me to do..Never asked one word about my machine but I found out a month later by the owner of the LQS (which I work at 1 day a week) that she saw my machine and just knew she had to have one..she came into the shop when I was working and told me she bought a Statler Sticther and there was no learning curve. She had rented commercial space, quit a high paying and was determined to make a living at this...I didn't even have her quilt done yet and she's in business. I took a big hit for a few weeks as she really worked the LQS customers by taking classes and going to the Sit & Sew..but the back of the quilts look pretty bad most of the time, "birdsnest" from the stops and starts, she has a lot of tension problems (probably lack of experience) and remember that a computer can't handle wavy borders very well. She has had some pleats in the borders and when doing sashing that isn't perfectly straight, well the computer goes straight and the sashing doesn't, oops doesn't look good. I doubt that she has really learned to do what I can do freehand.. She has her customers and I have mine and I have some of hers too, as she can't accomodate some of the requests that require free motion...I too can spot a computerized quilt. Like Linda said, they can do some very intricate designs that a hand guided quilter can't and I'll just live with that fact.

Archived