A new Survey

Just wanted to start a new thread & at the same time am very interested in everyones thoughts.

If you have a computerized system - what kind, how long have you had it, why did you make the investment (it is an investment), has it been everything you wanted, etc.? Are you holding out for the new Quilt Studio or will you be upgrading to the Quilt Studio? Do you use your system full time or just to augment your quilting?

I know some people are for computerized systems and some against. What are your thought - Yes / No and why?

Finally - if you don't own a computerized system - is it on your wish list?

Being a gadget girl, I think tinkering with a computer is loads of fun. That being said, I do not have a computerized system and unless I win the lottery or something, probably will never get one. I do, however, understand the usefulness of the system for those of you in business. Your profit margin is much greater with quilts churned out with a computerized pattern. I do very few of my quilts edge to edge. That is why I wanted a longarm so I could create the art of custom quilting on my own quilts. For myself, I am not in business and the expense of the initial machine was enough of a luxury for me, I could not fathom the extra expense of the computer system even though it would be fun to play with.

As with much of life, we all have our own needs, likes and wants and thank goodness we have many choices that can fulfill them.

I was the first APQS owner to get a CompuQuilter and I love it. I got the CQ because this was the only computerized system that APQS offered for their machines. There basically were two systems out there for longarms when I purchased my Millie in 2005 - the Statler and the CQ.

With the Statler, you basically lost your APQS head as the "guts" of the head are changed to fit the Statler system into it. The CQ was still in R&D for the Mille and I saw the CQ it in action on an A-1.

I fell in love with the Millie when I first tried one and I also new that I wanted a computerized system. My first question to the sales people - Mark, Carla and Myrna - when they came to Phoenix was do you have a computerized system. They said not yet and my husband and I almost walked out of the seminar but we were convinced to stay. We were eventually told that one was in R&D and that it should be out in several months. I purchased my Millie with the understanding that I would be getting the computerized system when it was ready.

I have no regrets. I love what I can do (and have done) with the CQ. It is very easy to use and I can't wait for new upgrade which is due very soon.

Would I get the CQ again if I had a chance? I'm not sure, I would have to compare it with the new systems but the CQ is a tried and true system. I know what it can do. There are lots of happy users. Only time will tell what the new Quilt Studio can do, how easy it is to use, and how reliable it will be. The IQ wasn't available when I got my system. There are features I really like with it and others I don't. No system is perfect for everyone. If you are interested in getting a system, I recommend you do your homework and try each system out. Just like purchasing your longarm, you need to try them out and buy the one that feels right for you. Today there are so many choices. I didn't have those choices but as I said, I don't have any regrets.

I have wondered about the IQ system. I know a couple of you got the IQ recently and I would like to hear your opinions. Has it improved your biz, the time on your feet, the bottom line?

I started longarming 3 years ago; lots of classes, practice, books, dvds, practice, quilt shows, practice. It has been a journey. I have enjoyed it though it has been work. I do have to say that I am surprised when some quilters try to pass computer work off as their own work, whether intentionally or forgetting to give credit where it is due. That bothers me. I love the beautiful patterns that the computers does. I guess you could say I'm conflicted.

I would love to have a compterised system, but cannot afford it right now.

The IQ seems like a really nice system, movable and very easy to use. They all seem to be around the same price as well.

I would like to see the new APQS system in action as well.

You also have to consider the adage, that any computerised system you by today is already superceeded. Develpoments occur so fast now a days.

When the time comes, the system I will choose will have good customer sevice, will be reliable and easy to use and will attach to my Millie with the least amount of pain (be the least invasive to attach).

Regards,

I would love to have a computerized system! And I intend to get one, have to get the machine first, tho. I love the combination of computer and freehand. There's no info yet on the Quilt Studio so have no idea what it will be capable of or how it will work. I have to say that the IQ is appealing also, with the ability to remove it from the machine to go sit down somewhere and work comfortably. It's appealing the same way a laptop is appealing. Portability matters!

Hi Meg!

I love my CQ. It allows me to be creative and to do the beautiful quilting that others on this list find comes naturally to them. I have also found, much to my surprise that when I do freehand, I can DO freehand. I can even do decent feathers freehand. Myrna tells me it is because I stand and watch my CQ in action so it imprints in my head. I believe she is right!!

CQ is coming out with a fabulous new upgrade any day now. The Beta testing is done, from what I hear, and they are scheduling classes for the new upgrade, which is a major upgrade and FREE to CQ owners.

Statler has a good system, but as said above, you have to gut your head, which voids any warranty or support you might have from APQS. The IQ looks interesting, but I already have the CQ, which was far better at the time than what IQ was offering.

As to QuiltStudio until I actually see the program and what it will do, I will remain true to CQ. Besides the financial investment and learning curve for a whole new program, there are always bugs to work out regardless of the Beta testing. Who will be the support person that has worked with the program for an extended period of time? How accessible with assitance be? There are so many questions to be answered, which I am sure APQS will do once they are ready to release the product. APQS is, IMHO, the best longarm company out there for support of their customers. They are always ready and willing to help us in any way. My understanding is they will continue to support CQ users that bought under the APQS flag. So, what more could I ask for???

Have fun investigating the various systems, and choose the one that does the most of what you want from a system. I have not regretted for one day having a computerized system. I love it.

:):):):)

Nancy

Nancy - very thoughtful answer.

I don't have the money at present so "in my dreams". I asked the question because I am curious and also I have seen many pieces that are a combination of computer and free-motion that are so beautiful. I am new to this (3 months) and have learned how difficult this is. Not that I think I am doing poorly - actually I am pleased with my progress, but there is so much to learn and it does take lots of practice and that in itself means time. I believe that any trick in the book to create beautiful quilting is worth the investment. I did invest in the CL and am so happy that I did. It has allowed me to do some very nice things now while I keep learning more skills. My latest has been to put some major effort into pantos. I am a stickler for good work and am in a hurry for good work......... so maybe someday will add the computer - $$$ has to be found first.

I hope others with computerized systems respond to this thread.

I am a free motion free form fly by the seat of my pants kind of quilter I love the freedom to just load on some black fabric pick a tone of thread colours and just get my freak on!!! You have to remember that when it comes to computers I am lucky to be able to answer email LOL LOL In saying that... I have a Quilt Studio on order!!! I can't wait to combine pre set designs (that JoAnn Hoffeman will digitize for me LOL ) with free motion thread art and colour!! We, and when I say we, I mean Jon will use the Quilt Studio for client quilts as well. As far as I can tell it will be a win win situation! Jon can earn money for the business and I can play LOL LOL I mean work on my thread art stuff. I will let you all know just how easy it is after I test drive it... You can be sure that if I can get it to work... it's childs play!!;)

I too am the proud owner of a Millie and CQ. I purchased my Millie first and then after two years invested in the CQ. I haven't looked back with any regret. First of all buying just the machine gave me the opportunity to get to know my machine. I was very fortunate that my business "took off" immediately and my waiting list has gotten very long. I work part time at another job, so I figured long arming would be a perfect fit for me. It has, been, but after a long week, I was having difficulty standing behind my machine to do pantos. I've had my CQ for a little over a year now. My CQ has put me in another class from the rest. I can do perfect feathered wreaths and allovers without even thinking about it, not to mention some of the very complex designs are a breeze with my CQ. Things I would never be able to do "freehand" are possible with my CQ. APQS has been wonderful with service for both my machine and the CQ and I never have to wait long for an answer. The training leaves you confident right from the start, which was important as I had quilts waiting and no time for play. I don't leave my machine run unattended however, so getting things done other than in the sewing room isn't in the books for me. The time I walk out is the time it finds a hole in the quilt, or breaks a thread. I just wish I had more time to "play" and really find out what I can do with it. I too am looking forward to the new updates as we gals love new stuff. Regrets,,, none. I say "go for it" if you can. you won't regret it a bit.

Carol Hartman, Pgh, PA

For 1 1/2 years ago I desired to buy a computerized system and APQS recommended CQ, but then the problems started for me. They didnt want to sell CQ to me in Norway or to Europe. I January I talked to Jim at APQSand he told me about Quilt Studio and recommended me to wait for it, (that time he told me it would be a couple of months to wait...)

So now I have preordered Quilt Studio and waiting and waiting..

Hi Meg;

I am like you, I am new to this (four months) and have wondered about the computerized systems. However, at this point I feel that I really want to begin to master some of the aspects of long arm quilting. I know a computerized quilting system would shorten the learning curve and an individual could produce beautiful quilts in a very short time. What I have found out with the long arm that it is a whole new ball game as compared to quilting on my dsm. Although I don't rule out purchasing the computerized system, I want to be a good (make that great) quilter in my own right. I purchased the circle lord recently and have done several pantos and have gone from disliking them to almost loving them. I will never say never for the CQ, but for now it is not right now.:)

The CQ or QS is on my wish-wish list.. that means I wish I could wish for it.

Considering age, income, price, and health, it would, in spite of me wanting one very badly, be a very poor move for me to make.

I don't have enough quilting years in me to pay for the larger machine, and the QS, and it would be senseless to think I do. Now if I come into a big chunk of money.. well, who knows..?

I've seen Ye Olde Forests Milli & CQ, and LOVE it.. (Still sorry Kelley and Joanne!). But.. it's just out of the question.

I think it was Linda addressed the computer quilters passing, or trying to pass, their work off as manual quilting, and I think we are seeing it in our general area.

If you can afford it, want it, would use it, In my book, I say go for it. You will love it once you do, from all the posts above.

RitaR

Wonderful posts. Even though it is something I think I would like to have someday, I truly want to learn my baby first. So despite lack of money and wishing that I could do more now, I am thrilled just to have my LA and enjoy every minute I have to increase my skills. I see what others have done without the computer and I aspire to be just somewhat as good - some day that is.

zeke here,

I did have a gammill optimum a couple of years ago and I thought that I would get a statler for it. The only bad thing about that is the weight of the machine. I had had a lot of trouble with that machine when I first bought it, then I desided to sell the machine because I hated it so much. Not only was the dam thing a tank, but it gave me fit of rage after I bought it. So, I bought a Ultimate I from a good friend of mine, also a client. After a 6 months of working with the machine I found that I really enjoyed quilting with it. I mean why would'nt I, because I also had an Ultimate II. So after 14 years of free hand quilting the wife and I bought a compuquilter. I guess I might have bought a different computer, but the compuquilter just seemed to be the right choice. As it stands, I can do my own digitizing with the help of a wonderful instructor, Suzanne Moreno. I guess I could learned by myself, but why do that when someone else has already gone through the proceess and is willing to teach you for a small price. I would have given her double the amount she asked if requested. Any ways, we are very happy with our purchase. Regards, zeke.........

• 2 weeks later...

Don"t have a computerized system and can't justify the expense for my "hobby". However, I have a friend who has tried several different systems and if she were to purchase, it would be the IQ. She doesn't spend time on computer and as I am practically computer illiterate, I can't explain her reasons for preferring the IQ. When she talks about the different systems, it is way "over my head". Will try to get her to spend some time on this forum as maybe her opinions would be helpful or at least informative.

Marilyn

I've had my IQ on my Millie for about 3 weeks now. I had the Millie 2 years before getting the IQ and ran a Gammill 3 years before that. I was just getting so many quilts that I never had time for me. I was able to pay for it with what I earned quilting.

I really like it. I get a break while it does rows of pantographs and there are some really beautiful designs available. I still do lots of freehand because that is my love, but the IQ has been a blessing.

I chose IQ because of its ease of use. It doesn't have all the towers and attachments - just a little tablet that attaches to the head and the tablet can be removed in a second to take with you to design and play when you are waiting in an office or to pick up somebody. You can draw a design with your head and it will record it on the IQ to reproduce. There are youtubes to watch demonstrations anytime. The customer service is top notch. I am very computer illiterate and even I got it working quickly, doing 5 quilts in 5 days immediately after installation.

I used to be a computer poo-pooer but it really does have its place.

While I can see the advantages of the computerized systems, at this point in time I have no desire to go to that system. I quilt for the love and joy of the creative feel, and, it seems to me, that letting the computer do it would take that away. My customers want MY quilting, that's why they come to me.

I've seen some quilts done with the computerized system and they seem like they are "missing" something. I've also seen some that are out of this world, but almost too perfect. I'm sure that has to do with the person operating it, and what's put into them, as I'm sure there are skill levels with these systems, the same way there is with just learning to quilt.

I know lots can be done with them, and maybe someday I'll want one, but for now, I enjoy the actual quilting and the feel afterward of knowing that I did that with no help except from maybe my CL or rulers, lots of rulers.

I also know that if I had started out with an IQ or CQ, I would have never worked on the basics. I would have leaned on the computer instead of doing it myself and would never develop basic quilting skills. That's just me, maybe others don't or won't.

I got my Millie with the idea that I would like CQ, but didn't think it was affordable... then refigured and decided to take the plunge. I love it. For many of the quilts I do it is just the thing. The system is easy to use and reliable. I just installed the upgrade to 4.0 and need to go through the exercises to see what has changed and the improvements. I am glad I didn't get them at the same time because I don't think I would have learned as much freehanding. It is too tempting to grab a design and go with a nicely digitized known. I have not been sorry about this decision. It was the option when I bought my system. I have a friend who has an older Millie and she put Statler on it... now she is stuck with controls that don't function the way our Millies were designed, and she does almost no freehand.

I was going to get CL but template storage, etc was a problem, so I just decided to go with a robotic system. I bought it through APQS.

If you have the opportunity to work on one of the programs, do it. Your decision will be much easier.

I can tell you that if you are in business, CQ is great. You can really turn out the quilts and they all look GREAT.

Good luck!

I got my system back in April of this year. A Millenium with CQ. I I am completeley new to LA but find that the CQ is easy to use, even better with the upgrades. Sometimes I wish that I had gotten my Millie without CQ, as it would have forced me to learn more freehand basic quiting. But I don't regret buying it. I love it!!!!!

Archived