Applying the Binding with Your Longarm

Hawaii

Mercedes, try this one. If it doesnt work, go to the forums at mqresource.com and look for free videos - it is the newest one.

http://mqresource.com/forum/index.php?showforum=67

I did try it on a practice quilt after watching Deb's technique, and I can see that when I get a little more comfortable with this, I will use it more often - especially on those big buggers, that I don't want to maneuver through my DSM.

Will post pictures when I finish handsewing the binding down.

I have also offered this to my customers for several years--quick money-maker!

Warnings if you want to apply the binding with your longarm (which is not new, but the video probably is. Nothing like a visual to make it easier!:))

The quilt must be square--you can't easily square it after it is quilted and still loaded. If it is wonky, it will be bound wonky. I use it on utility quilts and the really big ones where being off an inch or less won't show or matter if it's on a bed.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd posted about this topic but I must have hit the wrong button!

I did my first binding only a few days before this topic was started! I saw Kim Brunner's DVD on Twirly Whirly feathers and their is a section at the end of the 2nd DVD about how to apply binding on the longarm. So I had a go! I used a fabric glue stick to baste the binding in place instead of pins. I was thrilled with the results, and won't ever do it again on the DSM unless I have to. On the DVD, Kim said she usually finished the last part of the binding on her DSM, but I wanted to do it ALL on my LA. I just tucked the ends of the binding into each other and sewed over the join, and I will finish the little bias seam when I handsew the binding down.

Which brings me to another question- when offering this service to customers, how much should be charged? Only the machine part - I wouldn't hand sew unless someone was desperate!

Shelley

Archived