Hey! I just quilted me a garden!

This tablerunner was a UFO I had laying around for probably 2 years... I thought it was ugly (I hated it) but I pulled it out this weekend to play and practice my flowers. I have DeLoa Jones' book "Quilt Me A Garden" so I looked at her diagrams and quilted me a garden. It was fun and I actually kinda like this tablerunner now. LOL! :D

I plan on giving this away as a gift this Christmas.

post--13461900824634_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I just looked at the drawings in DeLoa's book and winged it. Having a stitch regulator is nice cuz you can stop and think (and pray that you don't screw up) and then do it. No pressure because it was my quilt so if I ruined it I didn't worry about it.

The thread is a variegated Valdani that I had in my little box of spool threads.

Hey Shana, that looks like fun!

I know it's hard to tell on photos on the forum, but how did you like the variegated thread? It appears that the thread in the bottom is different from the top border. Looks like some white mixed with the reds.

Did you change after you tried the mix with white, or was it just an experiment? Or is it the light?

I have a nice variegated thread, Signature, called woodlands. It has brown, dark red, dusty rose to almost pink. I'm just waiting for the right quilt to come along to use it. Sometimes, like in yours, either the darker color gets lost, or the lighter one, OR the contrast is just all wrong and it loses its beauty.

Just wondered what you thought. The idea of quilting flowers, and different flowers all over, is a great idea for something like this, small and quick. Deloa's book must be filled with lots of ideas?

Yes DeLoa's book has some nice examples.

I know the variegated gets lost in this busy fabric in the quilt but like I said before, I was practicing and didn't care; I just went for it.

It's the same spool of thread throughout. The Valdani is variegated and changes from dark red, to medium red, to pink, and then to white. The change of colors is very quick. I used Bottom Line red in the bobbin.

Shana, you amaze me! I love seeing your work! Tell me about Deloa's book (or booklet?) How many pages? I just ordered her appliguide. Looks like I should have ordered the book too!

What do you do with "guy" quilts? We quilt for veterans in nursing homes (our guild meets at the VFW) and I have two red/white/blue theme quilts to do. I want to practice feathers and flowers. Do you think meandering feathers are too feminine for quilts like these? I'm tired of stars and clouds. ;)

Oh goodness, you all are so kind.

Cathey, Re: the Guy quilts... have you looked through some of the pantographs at Columbia quilting? I think there are some great pantos that would be masculine, too. Sue Patten has leafy fronds designs. You could also do leaves or trees or stuff like that. I have the Leaf Pile panto and it looks good for a guy's quilt. Just cruise through the panto section on line and see if anything looks interesting to you.

My hand is up, so PICK ME!!! If you're still giving the runner away!!

Shana, you sweet thing, you just get better and better!

I have so many Christmas projects to do and I've been stuck stripping wallpaper in the house my son purchased to flip! I'm stayin' home tomorrow and quiltin' all darn day! (except when I have to babysit!)

Awesome job!!!

Archived