I finished my first longarmed quilt.

I am going to try to upload a picture of the my first quilt that I just completed. I had lots of issues with tension, but got help from here and from friends that have longarms. At one point I was really questioning my decision to purchase, but not anymore. ;)

I used King Tut on the top and super bobs in the bobbin. So I knew in advance that I would probably have tension issues. I also decided to do a panto as I know I will need to be able do to them for customers. So there was that learning curve as well. After frogging a row due to tension issues I learned to check the stiches on the top and back after a few inches of the panto.

I also misaligned the panto at one point and got to frog another row as I had stitched over the row above it. Then I was too far a below, but that time I check after a couple of issues so I did not have to frog as much. See... I am learning. :D

When I finally got to the other end of my twin sized quilt and took it off the machine I noticed that I had somehow not finished one of the rows, so I figured out a way to get that part of the quilt attached to the leaders and lined up the panto and fixed it.

This has been a true learning experience, but it has actually made me feel like I can handle it.

"First

3104022270_cdbe0e485d_o.jpg

That really looks good! Round is round and pointy is pointy! I went to a machine demo once adn the rep was showing me a panto and told me to try it. I went about 6 inches, hit the first curve with a point at the end of it and was so far off I shrieked and jumped back! I knew if I touched it again I would be there for hours until I mastered it and was pretty sure this lady was going to have to go take care of her business at some point!

Beautiful job!

I learn something new on each and every quilt I do. Sometimes I relearn an already learned lesson. Some how, I think this is one of those things where you never stop learning.

Things I have learned.

Always, alway check your tension with that Towa Gauge. If there is any doubt in your mind, stop and check it. I didn't do this and have to frog about 10 inches. Thank goodness it was only 10 inches.

When doing pantos, even when you THINK you are properly lined up and spaced out, check the lowest point of the pattern anyway and make sure.

I have my third customer quilt on the machine out of four that need to be done asap for Christmas. All four came in late. Boy this is fun and I am having a blast.

Archived