BRRR....We are in a deep freeze

Me too Mary Beth. It was 2 degrees when I walked the dogs early this morning. Really cold but ever so YUMMY in the right clothes. Really refreshing. It is about 14 degrees right now. Probly stay around 20 during the middle of day.

When it was cold in Texas it was miserable because it was to the bone at 30 degrees due to moisture in the air. I didn't like Texas Winters. They made my toes hurt. lol

Have a blessed Christmas girl. I hope it is a wonderful one. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway. Home is just that "HOME".

Grammie Tammie

It is burry cold here too Mary Beth. -10 when we got up this morning. We had about six inches of snow yesterday. The skinny greyhound is challenged staying in one place long enough to get his business done without freezing to death. Being a southern girl myself, I'd rather stay home than do all the stuff associated with the holidays when it is this cold. Coldest day of the year and the band concert is tonight. Can't wait!

And our group trip to Wyoming quilt store shopping tomorrow has been canceled. Bummer. But it is pretty.

Donna

It is -26 here with a 9 mph wind. Yesterday was very cold and needed to shovel the driveway, took an hour, then went and did another driveway for a house am house sitting. So sure was ready to come inside and stay inside.

My dogs do not like the cold either. Not even a minute and they are walking funny. Pretty sensitive feet. I am ready for warmer weather.

Baby it's cold outside!!The temp here is currently at -2. Wind chills of -20 to -30 yesterday. Snow forecasted for tomorrow. They said heavy snow on the radio this morning, but haven't said yet how much....

Donna & Tammie - I hope the weather clears in CO and stays clear through Christmas. I am headed to CO this weekend for a week long vacation with relatives in Pueblo. I'll be driving with family, so I'm hoping for some pretty decent road conditions.

My aunt is a quilter and a longarmer. I'm hoping that we can take in some quilt shops in Pueblo and Colo Springs while I am there.

Debbi

How about 27 below zero. It's so much fun to drive 20 miles to work in weather like this. I dream of quilting full time and staying home in weather like this! Some day. Then I get to work and there isn't much heat in our office. My nose and fingers are cold! I want to go home.

I'm with you, Robin. The only thing I want to do when it is cold is stay home.

This california sissy about froze last night when it dropped to 35 and we have rain. Further up the street is Julian and they are expecting snow. It is currently 46, expected to get to 51. Donna, you would probably be wearing shorts here but it feels really cold to me.

I have this week off for vacation so guessie what I'm doin'??? I'm staying HOME and I'm QUILTING!!! :P

DH just left to our little log cabin which is about 45 minutes drive from home. A big birch tree fell down across the narrow windy road/driveway to the cabin so he's gone with chainsaw in hand to clear that fallen tree. Tomorrow night we'll all spend a couple of days there roughing it. No running water at the cabin but we do have propane for the cook stove and lights, cell phone coverage, and a woodstove like Grammie Tammie has and we always bring our little Honda generator to run our microwave and vacuum cleaner (and it's not a dual bagger) I even have an antique Singer treadle sewing machine at the cabin circa 1928. It's fun to spend a couple of nights there and after that Shana needs a hot shower. LOL! :)

Stay warm and enjoy, everyone!

post--13461900876568_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by quiltingjoyful51

Shana, My son is in anchorage in the air force, we were there last year for Christmas and it was dark most of the time we were there. How do you cut wood in the dark?

LOL! Well attached is a picture I just took of my front yard (or shall I say Ice Garden)...taken at 12:15 PM on Monday, Dec. 15. Plenty light out to chop wood right now. It's a cloudy day so the sun isnt out, but boy have we had a beautiful full moon at night!! :) Even our shortest days have at least 4 hours of light in mid day to actually see things. :) Most people cut their logs ahead of winter and have a big wood pile ready to pull from. But if one must, one can use a flashlight or headlamp in desparate measures. Beginning on Dec. 22 the days will start getting longer again.

Stats I pulled from a web site on today's sunrise and sunset:

Begin civil twilight 9:28 a.m.

Sunrise 10:53 a.m.

Sunset 2:40 p.m.

End civil twilight 4:05 p.m.

post--13461900876672_thumb.jpg

Hooo weeeee Shana, how beautiful. I can hear the wolves howling in the moon light! That same moon was shining so pretty on our snow in the night last night. You just have to stop and enjoy the sights, even the little things like a full moon on snow. Thanks for posting those pictures.

Shana....love the weekend house!! I can't show it to DH or he will be booking our flight for a visit ;)

Tammie...yes, we have the humid cold...so it is bone chilling. Plus today it is snowing and last nigt was a layer of ice...so it is getting fun!!

Now I remember what I liked about being self employed:D

Okay, no laughing at the Oregonians here please. The weathermen keep calling our storm "an arctic blast". It's about 20 degrees here, snow on the ground, but more expected tomorrow. Perfect timing for DH to be off work for surgery recovery. We got down there yesterday with chains on my car, but only needed them for the last 1/4th mile up the hill to the surgery center. Took them off as he was getting ready to get in the car, and we are now home. Slept in his own bed last night, and looking more like himself again. I love the surgical collar that he gets to wear when he's out of bed. between that and the near total coverage in Betadyne solution, he's a real looker! Great time to stay inside, quilt, piece, or in my case, clean the house. The dog hair is awful!

Stay warm everyone, wrap up in those lovely quilts and watch the snow come down.

Archived