DH defended my longarm turf!

Had to share, and it's way more fun to share with folks who will "Get it!" I'll try not to make it long, but that's not my strong suit ;)

DH was layed off just before Christmas. My machine went down the first week of December -- with 12 quilts in line (Only 2 for Christmas, but still, the largest backlog I've ever had). After weeks of trying everything, it was determined that it had to go to West Plains to be looked at *sigh*. But then we found a way to send it with someone else who was headed that way - it would only be gone overnight, and back in business by New Year's Eve-- YIPPEE!! All we had to do was make about an hour's drive to meet the person for handing off and picking up. What an awesome deal!!

The kids (10, 13, 15) were whining about getting ready and having to go along on a BORING car ride with nothing to do, can't we stay with gr'ma, geese it's Christmas break - we're supposed to be having fun, Etc.

And I overheard DH say "Listen, I'm not working right now. And your mom's quilting is going to help out with that, we're lucky to have her business. If we can get her machine fixed by driving one hour today and tomorrow that's great. It beats driving 8 hours one-way to the factory ourselves. This quilting business is important to her, and frankly it's important to all of us. Her income from quilting helps provide a lot of the extras that you guys enjoy around here, and at times like this, it's helping pay the mortgage and put food on the table. So you all can suck it up and ride in the car for a couple of hours. Get your coats, let's go."

Wow! He noticed my business, and championed my cause!! I think I'm in love!!!

No worries Heidi - this layoff actually had a return date in January so we knew it wouldn't be long. The factory makes auto parts so needless to say, the company is scrambling to save $$ wherever it can. It was really a financially savvy move on his company's part - this way they didn't have to pay holiday pay to the workers. A great save for their bottom line right at the end of the year (But a bummer to the employees.)

Kat,

I'm glad it was short lived. We had over 100 employees laid off the week before Christmas. I would have glady taken a couple weeks off if it meant others didn't loose their jobs. We all keep waiting for the next round! My BIL was laid off a couple weeks before Christmas. He work for an Assisted Living Home that he had worked at for more than 20 years. They outsourced most of their postions. They were laid off and told they could go work for the temp agency with a reduced salary and no benefits but they could come back and do the same job! I sure hope he finds a new job soon!

They were pretty good overall. Got to bickering and fussing in the last 15 minutes or so - but that's par for the course really, LOL!

And yes, the fix wasn't bad. I had to retime it after it came home skipping stitches *grrrrr* but she's up and running now and that's what matters. It was frustrating because she'd just come from the shop and retiming was one of the things they did, so I was pulling out hairs trying to fix the skipped stitches 'cause "gosh, it couldn't be timing, they just fixed that". Wrong ;)

Kat so happy to hear your hubby is such a great guy ! ;) Mine is too, he's always ready to help me with any problems that crop up with my Millie and encourages me to keep going on the quilts that seem to never end.

We just missed a layoff in Nov. and now there will be 10,000 more by March. :o We are praying and cutting back to save just in case.

Happy quilting!

My other half has been taking more interest in my business and has realised how hard I actually work at it, and that it is nearly covering our living costs. He would have always defended what I do (well except for the first two months when it did look like a money pit) but now he really appreciated the business and is putting a lot of effort into helping me grow it.

Ferret

Archived