what first?

Hi All,

I have this quilt almost all marked and ready to go. I hope to be able to load it next week (just had gallbladder surgery and not up to the task yet). I am planning to SID around the blocks in black, and then do the quilting in the blocks in hot pink. So, this is my question. SID first and roll back, or quilt the pink stuff first, or change threads as I go, or just quilt it all in black. Let me know what you think is best. This is a HUGE quilt. It just barely fits on my 10ft table.

post--13461901581258_thumb.jpg

LOL, if you don't know the story, I guess it does look pretty hidious. My step daughter insisted on painting her room bright pink (and I mean bright). I have tried for 3 years to find something to go in that room. She painted the furniture black. This will actually look good in there. I will post pics of the room when done.

Peggy,

Hope you recover quickly!

I think that quilt is going to be really pretty. I like your design choices. I would definitely do the SID first and then go back and do the pink. Make sure you pin baste a lot as you go though. It seems like the open spaces will be pretty big in spots. Good luck and feel better soon!

Peggy,

So sorry to hear about your surgery - get better quick, quick!!

As to the quilting - for sure SID to so you can keep everything in place. Love the idea of the pink - should be a very fun quilt!! Depending on the size of the blocks, you might want to throw in a pin here and there to keep things from shifting as you roll back and forth. Did you mark all the XH'ing - what a lot of work - the flower motifs are darling and should look soooo good in the pink.

take care and happy quilting!!

Thanks Meg and Heidi, I am recovering pretty well. Surgery was on Friday after 3 days in the hospital trying to figure it all out. No stones, just no function. Ok, well 1% function :D. Bruises are beginning to fade and a lot less soreness today. Not ready to get back to the quilting yet. Tried rotary cutting yesterday. That was a no go. Surprising the the things you use your stomach muscles for. Sooo, I crocheted (sp?) the dog a blanket and knitted 3 dish clothes. I am sooo bored.

Peggy,

I think you are doing well to be doing what you are doing so close to surgery - My last back surgery - couldn't do anything for a few weeks - and I wasn't bored - it was just a d...... tough surgery - Just take good care of yourself and let your body heal!!! lots of hugs.......

Peggy, you are much stronger than I am if you are ready to quilt so soon after your surgery. I had my gall bladder out January 30 and am just getting back to quilting. I did a lot of peicing and really enjoyed it as I hardly ever have the time to sew anymore. Listen to your body and don't forget to rest...a lot. My hat's off to you girl.

Lynda in Golden BC

Originally posted by peglu

...... I am sooo bored.

You could doodle and PPP with pen and paper! :) Get well soon. I think that quilt will be super cute when done.

Originally posted by kennan100

I like the quilt and the design choices you.ve made. I just had a vision of lime green thread on thisM. Seems like the pink and black would work with the green!

Hey Kenna-babe... me likes the way you thinks! GOOD idea!

Hi Peggy,

I know how you are feeling. I had gall bladder surgery a few years ago. Even though they do it laproscopically now, with a few small incisions, there is still a lot of internal soreness from all the digging around in there. But you will recover pretty quickly and be back at your machine soon. Listen to your body and don't rush things - you'll just prolong the recovery time. I would definitely go with pink for your designs. I also don't think black would give you much to show for all of your work. Great of you to let the young lady express her individuality with the pink walls and black furniture even if it's not your cup of tea. I bet she'll love the quilt.

Peg,

You just take it easy and let yourself recover. A little down time is good for us once in awhile.

I see hot pink definitely on this quilt. I love the brights. I made a bright lime green and black quilt for my son's girlfriend for granduation. It was out of my element but that is what the young kids like. Darned if I didn't want to keep it when I got done with it. I could just as well have kept it as they broke up a week later. His new girlfriend, whom I absolutely love, gets a quilt after the wedding!

Take care,

Peggy, enjoy the down time, clean out your magazines, organize your threads, read and doodle -- that's what I did when I was home 10 days recently with foot surgery. I actually enjoyed the pampering and caught up on sleep and reading. Back to real world now and could use some zzzzz's. I love this quilt, how fun it will be to quilt and you are doing some great things on it. I don't like to change threads either, BUT I learned a very, very, hard lesson about rolling back and forth - the backing sagged and I didn't check it and had a big mess. Ended up taking a pleat in the backing and then quilted the heck out of it and actually you could hardly see it. I usually go all the way across with one thread and then change and go across with 2nd thread.

Best of luck and would like to see this one posted when finished.

Get Well

Sharon

Like several others, I would do the SID first and the PINK thread for floral blocks. I would consider using black thread for the crosshatch. As you have time to ponder on it I am sure that you will decide on the perfect combination. Love the Pink and Black.

Hi Miss Peggy.. glad you are this far from the Gall Bladder surgery.. It didn't take me long, but I also have a very high tollerance of pain, many others dont.

Love the pink and black. Did you get the Hot Pink from Superior.. Wow.. eye catching..

Am sure your daughter will love it, maybe do some housework for you? ;o)

Good Luck and God Bless..

RitaR

Archived