100 wishes quilt - top completed (photo on page 2)

Have you finished sewing this top together yet? Can't wait to see the finished product. We are waiting. I like the thread choice. This is going to be a great quilt.

I do hope you are getting over your cold. I am surprised you could crawl around on the floor with a cold. That would have made my head hurt worse. You are one tough cookie!:)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kristina, if I had a head cold, I wouldn't be able to do this, but this is a chest cold so I'm coughing no matter what I'm doing. I just decided that I was tired to laying around and needed to get this quilt done. I've had the fabrics since last Sept. It was time to get going. The family will only give me so much grace, then the pressure begins!!!:D:D:D Actually, I had forgotten that I had to go to a meeting tonight, so I haven't started putting the top together yet. But will either tonight, or in the morning... I will post pics when I finished with it. Thanks for the encouragement y'all!;)

Congratulations, Kristina and Patty Jo--I vote for placement #3. But warning, get to feeling better because I know that when you're not feeling well little boo-boo's can happen. Don't ask me how I know. But what a neat idea to record all your choices in photos. I just hit my forehead and said "duh"--;). It is a great idea!

As I said earlier, I wasn't meant for speed. It seemed that this cold I have slowed me down even more. I'm feeling better to day, and wanted to show you what I've completed so far. I still have to do an applique in each corner of the outside border. I hope that you like this - I do and I'm sending a pic to my DS & DIL also.

post--13461901810121_thumb.jpg

Thanks ladies for your comments. I really like the borders also. Re: how did I do that? - well, I put on the smaller black border like normal and then also the purple border normally. To do the last border, I actually laid out the quilt and the border on the floor (I sure wish that I had a big table like I used to have - it would sure save my back & knees) and measured the border fabric to make sure that the purple fabric was placed right where it it belonged, stitched it, pressed it, then added the outside square of black. I've never done that before, and I have no idea if this is how you are to do it, but it worked for me. Now, I'll get the appliques ready to put on. I'm going to use a light weight fusable and do a small zigzag aroung them to help them stay put! I'm not good at applique, so I'm hoping that this is the right thing to do. I've done some needle turn applique on some Hawaiian pillows, but decided that I didn't want to do that again. OK, on to figure out this applique process. :P

Patty Jo, ya done good. That looks great!! I missed the story about the 100 wishes, but whoever is getting this quilt should love it. Way to go. Now--quilt it and post again, right?? Can't wait to see you soon, girlfriend....;););)

Nancy

Patty Jo, I agree with everyone. I love what that black and purple border does to the inner quilt. And it's the black background behind the snowballs that help to light up the snowballs! Marvelous arrangement!

I'll bet it's even more gorgeous in person. Can't wait to see the quilting.

Nancy & anyone else who's interested....... 100 Wishes Quilts are a take off from a village tradition in China where when a baby is expected, all the people of the village would bring a patch of fabric (old or new) to give to the new mom to stitch together into a baby blanket. In addition to the patch of fabric, they would give a "wish" for the new little one as a blessing, or a hope for their lives, or ??? Whatever they thought was appropriate. Since my DGD was born in China, my DS & DIL wanted to give her a 100 wishes quilt just as if she were still in her village in China. My DIL has saved a small piece of each fabric along with the written out wishes to put into a scrap book that will go with the quilt. The patches I've put into the quilt are from friends and family all over the USA & beyond and are mostly cotton fabrics, but there are some fleece, corduroy (sp) and misc. poly/cotton blends. Just thought you would like to know.:)

Patty Jo

I love the colour arrangement. and your border choice really complement the quilt top. I m looking forward to seeing a photo after you have quilted it.

Thank you for sharing how the 100 Wishes quilt origanated. Your DGD will treasure hers always.

Archived