Now I have another question

Those of you that switched from another brand, did you find that your excitement about longarm quilting came back? I do a lot of procrastinating now; I didn't do this when I first started. Once I'm upstairs, I'm fine. It's just getting there that takes a long time now.

eileenkny

Yes, I think my excitement returned. But then I got burnt out after 5 years. I was quilting 7 days a week, had trouble setting limits on how long I quilted, didn't take time off, never quilted my own stuff and paid too much in taxes to justify quilting any longer.

But now that I am only doing my stuff...I am in heaven:P:P:P:D:D:D I don't miss quilting for others. I did take on one charity quilt this month and found I was really mad at myself for saying yes. I just want to quilt for me. That may sound selfish but I'll donate time and money in a different way other than quilting a charity quilts.

I think that if you are a procrastinator before you get a long arm, you'll be one after as well. I remember on the block of the month events at the LQS, I would be sewing like mad on Friday to get my block done from the previous month to show on Saturday so I could get my next block. I still procrastinate.....I just have to kick myself in the toukus' to get me moving somedays.

I too am a procrastinator. It is just the first putting one foot in front of other. sometimes it helps me if I say to myself, just go to the studio for 20 minutes and then that 20 minutes turns into hours and I am so glad I went.

I want to somehow learn how to establish some time to do my own stuff. Like you Patty Jo I am doing my block of the month the night before and I don't have a LQS, only Craft Warehouse. How pathetic is that

Originally posted by Stagecl

Yes, I think my excitement returned. But then I got burnt out after 5 years. I was quilting 7 days a week, had trouble setting limits on how long I quilted, didn't take time off, never quilted my own stuff and paid too much in taxes to justify quilting any longer.

But now that I am only doing my stuff...I am in heaven:P:P:P:D:D:D I don't miss quilting for others. I did take on one charity quilt this month and found I was really mad at myself for saying yes. I just want to quilt for me. That may sound selfish but I'll donate time and money in a different way other than quilting a charity quilts.

Everything Cheryl said.... we both (cheryl and I) were toasted and now speaking for myself I'm just getting back into really enjoying it for myself.

I need to have my first thing in the morning planned out. I can't ask myself "where do I start" or I have a hard time of it.

What I mean is, if the first thing I am going to do is quilt a certain block on the loaded quilt. The night before I have to have the correct color thread and bobbin ready to load. A little doodle to remind me just how I was going to stitch it etc.

This sounds really silly to admit, but I just don't "think" in the morning. After I have just done something on a quilt for a few minutes, then my brain says "yep she's still alive and moving, better rev up"

:)

vg

Procrastination??? I really don't know what that is! My Baby needs cleaning and that was the first job I had to do this Morning....... I think I'll have another cup of Tea and see what else you Ladies are up to..... I might then just quickly tidy the Kitchen......... by then it's most likely Morning Tea time...................

I know I'll have fun once I go down those stairs... Honest I will.... BUT.....

Eileen, we all have hours, days or sometimes weeks, where it is really hard to find that MOJO!;)

Regards,

Don't laugh but I am a list person, years spent working in a pressure cooker environment I guess. I also set time frames.

todays list is:

Mop the floors and tidy the kitchen - must be done by 10am (only have 30 minutes to get that done)

Finish the 6 blocks I have left to do - try and have them done by 3pm

Have to bake 6 dozen mini cupcakes

Must hose under the house

A day in bed really sets me back

Tomorrow pick up DH (home from work for a week) and then quilt in the afternoon

If I was a procastinator I don't think anything would get done

Somewhere in my day I manage to fit in about 6 coffees

I would love to quilt every day but as I only quilt for myself I have to make the quilt top first, wish I could sew faster....:D:D:D

This has gotten way off what I originally wanted to know:D

My day depends on how my RSD and fibromyalgia are feeling. If I've done a lot one day, I'm down for the next.

I'm not expecting a machine to relight my fire, I just want to know if, when you switched from another brand, did you like going into your studio more?

Hi Eileen.

I am sorry to hear of your health issues and quilting limitations. I hope things ease for you.

As you know I have an APQS Liberty, their smaller model and although the space is limiting, it is a gem to use. I have enjoyed using it since day one. Nicole in our LA group has a Milly, the larger model. We bought them at the same time. The ladies who came down from upper NY state all have APQS machines, so you can contact them if you have questions, too. I think there is a dealer up near you in NY state....Judy Allen (as in the "Judilator" and feather stencil/pattern designer). The folks at the factory said she was the closest one to me when I got mine delivered. There is Gretchen in PA as well. She has not made any of our meetings yet but plans to. As you may know, I got my machine from Karen Mc Tavish who had a Gammill and is an awesome rep.

I did a TON of research before I decided on my APQS. Of course, it is all how it feels in your hands and the type of work you like to do. Fortunately, this will be your second machine and yo should have no learning curve!!! Lucky you.

Best wishes for good health and have fun deciding on your next machine. I doubt you'd be disappointed in the APQS machines.

Lisa Burghart

APQS Liberty

North Jersey Girl Quilters LA Group

Originally posted by eileenkny

This has gotten way off what I originally wanted to know:D

My day depends on how my RSD and fibromyalgia are feeling. If I've done a lot one day, I'm down for the next.

I'm not expecting a machine to relight my fire, I just want to know if, when you switched from another brand, did you like going into your studio more?

Eileen, you're too funny - if you go through most post you will see it is not unusual for the post to go off track. Nothing we can do about it, can't fight it, but usually the answer does come. ;)

As to your question about switching brands - the brand of machine doesn't really matter (the performance of a lesser quality might), its your own frame of mind. You have to ask yourself "Is this what I really want to be doing?" "Do I enjoy long-arm quilting?" Do you procrastinate about most things or just long-arming? Is it the particular quilt top you have on the table?

Only you can answer your question, we're just hear to be your sounding board.

I was so tired and burnt out with my other machine after 7 yrs, I decided I would either quit business completely, or commit for a few more years but only with a new Millie. I also decided to severely limit the number of custom quilts coming in-they were draining my creativity! I love my Millie and have been regaining my creativity. I spend half of my time on my own quilts, half on customer quilts. I pretend I am on retreat some weekends and just piece up a storm! Then I have to quilt one or two customer quilts before I can play again. Sometimes my motivator is to save up for real retreats and supplies. I have to say the Millie was worth the change!

Sue

Originally posted by eileenkny

We get off topic alot around here...but usually swing back....

And my answer to your question would be "IF" I ever got another quilting machine would it help....nope, it would be the same as before..... you are the only one who is in control of your time, and if you are/were a procrastinator, you will ALWAYS be one. If you are a list person, then that is your life....me I just let it flow.

My deadlines were/are always met, but I waste time and there were/are even some days that I have to work till 4am to get a quilt promised the next day because I goofed off the day before.

Now that's my problem, not the machines....:cool:

If it's a time management issue a different brand won't change the situation, like Bonnie said.

If it's a machine quality issue then it probably would.

As for selecting a machine, I think any major commercial manufacturer, i.e. APQS, Gammill, Nolting, A-1, would be good. Having the back up is just as important. If your dealer is only counting his/her sale and not the customer service you will likely be unhappy in the long run.

the forums really help a lot especially this one and the one for my machine, a Gammill.

I chose Gammill over APQS for 2 reasons. At the time the cost was several thousand dollars less for the Gammill when I included the extras I wanted. Also, the local dealer on 2 occasions couldn't get the machine to quilt for more than a minute or so without the thread breaking! First she said it was the color, orange, and changed it to blue after I asked her too. It still kept breaking. I thought if that was a problem for her I didn't want it.

I also looked at both of the machines while I was at the NQA show. The same dealers were there so that didn't change my mind.

I'm very happy with my choice and have had no issues. But, after participating on this forum, had I experienced a different result with a different APQS dealer and chose an APQS I'm sure I'd be just as happy.

Like kids, we all love our own but we can appreciate the good in others too.:)

Hi Eileen,

Well, I just got a new sewing and embroidery machine, and I'm excited and learning new things and loving it! :D New machines always re-light my fire. :) I'm intriqued by the mechanics of it all as well as the quilting part.

So Sure, it's going to rekindle your interests, and depending on what machine you decide to purchase there are going to be some new exciting features that your present long arm probalby does not have that will be fun to learn. Also, no matter your past experience, there is going to be a new learning curve that can be an exciting for you.

I've traded up from a small quilting system to what I use now, and been exciting and challenging each time. :) Just have fun, and enjoy whatever you decide to do.:)

Hi Eileen, so sorry to hear about the health situation.. prayers for relief.

As to the excitement of a new machine, YES, YES, YES, When Penny (Lenni) arrived, I was tickled silly and wanted to be in there playing all the time.. I had an old non descript converted machine before.

whenever I get something new, I'm like a kid with a new toy, only with Penny it was so much more excitement.

RitaR

Rita, what are you doing online? Are you in Newberg? Oregon? or did you fly home? I'm waiting for a call--going to EE Schenck today.

Eileen, I too am sorry you are having health issues. That's no fun to start with. My advice is way off the path too, but I love going into my studio because of the lighting. My frame has fluorescent lights that are the cool natural full spectrum lights. I don't know what they're called, but I can be in there all winter and love it! Sometimes I go in and flip on the lightswitch for the original room light and I'm amazed how dark it is compared to my LA lighting system. We all need excellent lighting and it does make a difference in spirit.

Just a thought.

I think if your machine is not working well, then maybe a different model would re-light your fire. I know I switched from a smaller handsfree only to a Milli with Compuquilter and I love it. I am able to sew ballets slippers one minute and camping things the next. I enjoy watching and working with the machine and the computer as it challenges my mind. So for me, this commitment forced me into customer quilts, due to the money involved. So there was some trade offs.

But I really agree with the rest of the gals, and keep one thing in mind, sometimes we look to retail therapy to uplift us. You know the new dress, makes you feel so happy and fun for the day, and once you have worn it once it isn't new anymore and the "fix" is over.

Just make sure before you switch models or brands that you are truely able to do something substantially different then you were before.

I only say this because I have been dealing with the "fix" of retail therapy for a long time, and now that my husband is out of work and I have had to really look to what is really going to make me feel rejuvinated, sometimes its just getting my chores done.

I also agree with the other gals I am a task gal and I sometimes don't get to the studio forever it seems.

Brenda

What is it exactly that makes it difficult for you to take up your machine and get going? Is it the machine? The way it handles? Is it difficult with threads, or limiting in some way? Or is it the customers, the scheduling, the paper work. I think you need to really evaluate yourself on this. We only precrastiinate with things we don't like to do, or bore us, or dread. Something along those lines. Before you look at the expense of a new machine or a different brand you need to figure out the reasons you feel the way you do. The thing that needs to change is the thing that you are avoiding. Maybe you just need to add a computer to the system you already have to challenge yourself and expand your creativity. Maybe you need to limit the number of quilts you do for others a do some of your own more often. Maybe a few classes on peiciing will renew your interest. Maybe a vacation and change of scenery will help. But then again maybe you just need a Millie!!! Go out and try some of the other machines. Rent time on one of each and quilt a wall hanging or something that will give you a feel for the machine.. It might give you an idea if the machine is the problem or not.

What is it exactly that makes it difficult for you to take up your machine and get going? Is it the machine? The way it handles? Is it difficult with threads, or limiting in some way? Or is it the customers, the scheduling, the paper work. I think you need to really evaluate yourself on this. We only precrastiinate with things we don't like to do, or bore us, or dread. Something along those lines. Before you look at the expense of a new machine or a different brand you need to figure out the reasons you feel the way you do. The thing that needs to change is the thing that you are avoiding. Maybe you just need to add a computer to the system you already have to challenge yourself and expand your creativity. Maybe you need to limit the number of quilts you do for others a do some of your own more often. Maybe a few classes on peiciing will renew your interest. Maybe a vacation and change of scenery will help. But then again maybe you just need a Millie!!! Go out and try some of the other machines. Rent time on one of each and quilt a wall hanging or something that will give you a feel for the machine.. It might give you an idea if the machine is the problem or not.

Archived