Raffle Quilt - Quilting Ideas Needed UPDATED WITH PICTURES!!

This is a raffle quilt for my group's next quilt show. I am stuck on this one! I thought about pebbling the light blue background, then a pointy swirl in the colored points, but no clue what to put in the orange flip flop areas. Those areas are fairly large. Maybe beach them motifs with pebbling around them? I know I don't want to SID all those points!!:o Any ideas?

2130766120036516766S425x425Q85.jpg

I do not have any suggestions on what to quilt on this one but I truly love the pattern. I am sure it is paper pieced huh? If you could let me know how to get my hands on that pattern it would be greatly appreciated. I wish

your group success with the quilt. grannygailsquilts@msn.com

Yes, it is Sand Devils by Judy Niemeyer. Thanks for providing the link, Carmen. I wasn't so crazy about the pattern when I first saw it. It was featured in Keepsake Quilting in really dark background with light spikes. I like the bright colors in this version.

Thanks for the ideas! I really like the second design you drew out, Shannon. My plan is to use matching thread in the background and the orange batik, and variegated (probably Rainbows Jester) in the spikes. I will be sure to post pics when I finish!

It is a wonderful quilt - the orange shapes actually look the same shape as DWR quilts will lend themselves to many designs - feathers, etc. Maybe ck the web out for DWR for more ideas. I love pebbles and feathers mixed in the same quilt......... Kimmy Brunner has some neat designs that might work well with the orange area.

Originally posted by lisae

.......but no clue what to put in the orange flip flop areas.

My first thought was to do something spikey in there, similar to what Shannon Doodlebug has in mind, but my spikes were pointing inward as you go around the outer edge of the block. Do this in really bright variegated thread that is way colorful. Or choose something like lime green or bright blue so it really glows against the bright orange.

I really like both of Shannon's ideas.

Oh and all of those other points? No, don't SID, but a really fun ziggy zaggy squiggle inside each point would look way cool. :cool:

This quilt screams fun fun fun!

Have fun!

Hey Lisa...when is the Elko show? I may have to come just to win a chance at this quilt! Can't wait to see the finished quilt...and to meet you of course.

This quilt is much more interesting than the one I get to quilt for our guild. It is only a basic traditional sampler in black/white with a red twist and a stacked bricks border. Can I join your guild?? Please, please.

Hey, Kristina,

We don't have a guild any more in Elko. Some of the gals just couldn't get along and ruined it for everyone. So a group of us that were former guild members decided to put the quilt show on by ourselves. We fund it ourselves and do all the work ourselves. And there is no fighting. :P Sometimes I miss the guild but not enough to start another one!

The show will be in the spring of 2010. We aren't sure where we will hold it, but I will keep you posted!

• 1 month later...

I thought everyone would like to see how I ended up quilting this quilt.

Vital Statistics:

Superior So Fine and Rainbows top thread

Superior Bottom Line prewound bottom thread

Quilters Dream Wool batting

There are almost 1,600 yards of thread in this puppy...quilting time over 40 hours! Yikes!! Am I crazy or what? :cool:

2870885350036516766S425x425Q85.jpg

2319050720036516766S425x425Q85.jpg

2280019650036516766S425x425Q85.jpg

2235758620036516766S425x425Q85.jpg

2741481120036516766S425x425Q85.jpg

Archived