***Now Finished with Pictures*** -- Need FABULOUS -- TOTALLY FAB ideas for Hunter's Star Scrappy Batik

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great looking quilt Shanna. Is this a customers? Don't know if you were in the Batik Swap or not but this would certainly be a beautiful quilt to make up with our Batik's. I have already added to my pieces and made my top. Couldn't wait. I do not have suggestions for this quilt top but someone else will jump in and advise you. Please show us this top after you have finished it.

Isn't Heidi working on a Hunter's Star right now?

Unless you use some really contrasting thread colour, a really detailed quilting design will become lost on the coloured squares, I would love to see something on this quilt that will make the star design pop!

I think we need Shannon to doodle for us.

Regards,

Yes it is a customer quilt. I am ... very very patiently (--not--) waiting for Heidi to finish her quilt but I highly doubt I can touch Heidi's level of quilting with a 10 foot pole... I am thinking feathers in the space between the stars? or a different block design? I'm totally stuck. Doodlebug... girl get your fanny over here pronto and start coming up with some fabulous ideas for me... And all y'all other guys and gals here...don't just stand there...I need y'all to get your fannies in gear here, too. ;) I need fabulous. I'm counting on you to make me look good! :D:cool:

Don't disappoint me.... ;)

Help.

Help!

Fabulous.

Shana,

Remember Beacon of Light? It was a Hunters star. I did SID in the stars (they were only 6" stars), victorian feathers in the square between the stars and diagonal lines in the little football shape connecting the stars. Here's a close up of what I did. You can fancy it up even more with some pebbles or something between some of the diagonal lines, fancier feathers, etc.

post--13461902349881_thumb.jpg

Hi Shana:

That's the prettiest Hunter's Star I've ever seen! I would do feathers in the triangle four patch areas, parallel straight lines in the trapezoids (is that the right name for the shapes between the stars?)...then I'd ditch and CC the stars. Of course, that's me thinking about quilting on George...on a stand-up LA you might approach it quite differently. Can't wait to see what you do, girl. Sending you a hug from 102 degree Southern AZ, Nancy in Tucson

Gosh Deb, that is pretty close to FANTABULOUS (is that a word?) I've seen. Those feathers look continuous in the block, too. I would like something that doesn't take a lot of time. Yes I remember that quilt. I saw it in real life. It's a stunner. I never got an opportunity to buy "opportunity" tickets for it. I am sure it raked in the bucks.

Great (fabulous) ideas from both Mrs. A and Ms. T. I appreciate it!

Shana you have no idea how much I wish that quilt were done! I had to load a customer quilt. Custom applique. Of course my designs are detailed so it is taking longer than I want. I'm doing 1/2" cross hatching and I can't use blue washout marker so pouncing as I go. I'm only on the 2nd of 12 blocks! I think it will take a while. I only got 2 hours on it today as I had to be the happy homemaker. You know clean, shop, visit MIL. The day just flew away. I can't believe tomorrow is Monday already. I'm going to have to really push hard to get a lot of time on it this week. I was hoping to have it done by next weekend. We'll see. It is a beautiful quilt though.

I like what Debbi did. that feather is continuous which is wonderful. That 1" strip in between is what was throwing me off. I would cc the star, at least the outside of it. It really does make the star pop. I did the inside too on mine.

OK thanks, Heidi. I might be able to CC the stars and stop in the middle where the football shape makes a point and I can do some echo quilting around in there and echo back to the star and finish the CC. I'll have to play with drawing it first. I wish I could spend a lot of time and do some major design work on this one but I don't think Lonnie wants to pay for that!:P

I can't wait to see your daughter's quilt finished. It will surely be a treasured heirloom!

PS I can't believe tomorrow is Monday either... Ugh! I need to stop playing and get some laundry done so I have clean clothes for work.

Shana I don't have any ideals, but I am looking forward to see what you come up with. This is one of the prettiest Hunter star quilts I have seen. I have several FQ Batik bundles from Moda That I'm not sure what I am going to do with them yet. After seeing this quilt I'll have to put this on top of the list.

Wish I could send some of the rain we are getting here in my area your way. We have been getting some on and off heavy rains here the past couple of days with flood warnings.

You called on the best in the business--and I'm not one of them. However, here's my doodling for what it's worth. I saw two little motifs in the fabric that I would draw from. That one near the top looks like a feather fern, and the one below looks like a flower. In your detail picture I see it as a fanciful paisley. My ideas aren't always the best because what I see may not be within my ability. You may get some ideas from these. I agree with everyone that that is a very beautiful batik Hunter's Star. My compliments to the piecer. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

post--13461902352608_thumb.jpg

Ooh, Jill yes, that is very similar scrappy design. Pretty! I looked at closeups in your webshots and I love how you quilted it!

I will continue to gather any more ideas that you all have and then present these options to Lonnie to consider.

I appreciate ALL OF YOU folks here VERY MUCH!!!!!! Thank you for being so supportive and fun. :)

Originally posted by Jhend

What fantastic colors on that quilt! You will do it proud.

Joanne,

OK here's a great idea! How about if I mail this one to you and you "do it proud" for me? :cool: You are one of the most amazing quilters. I love your talent, bow to you, oh great Joanne... [[[[bowing, bowing bowing]]]]]]

• 3 weeks later...

OK you all thanks for the great advice. After seeking some fabulous ideas from you all (thanks for that btw) my customer decided she really just wanted an overall quilting. That was probably best to do anyway because it's so busy.

But...I couldn't find it in myself do e2e across the Hunter Stars so I did meandering swirly curly things and when I got to a star, I stopped, outlined around the outer edge of the star, and then continued my freehand meandery swirly curly thing until I reached the next star.

The backer was batik and for some odd reason, I did have some "issues" with bottom tension. I switched to a 3.5 needle and that seemed to help but it still was not what I had hoped on the back. However, after I finished, I took the rulermate off and did a super duper cleaning and ya know I think that it was pretty dirty in there and even though I try to keep it clean I probably should remove the rulermate more often and get in there really good. That might have been a problem with my bottom tension. When I did the outer border without SR there were NO tension issues on the back. Hmmmmmmm.................!!!!!!!!!!

The quilting on this large queen/nearly king size quilt did not take long. I finished it in two nights. Yeah, I know I'm a maniac, but... DH is out of town so what's a girl to do besides run wild on the streets or stay home and quilt? (I chose the latter). :D

post--13461902467027_thumb.jpg

Archived