Iowa State Fair

Well, the Iowa State Fair opens today, preview night for Fabric and Threads was last night. I didn't enter anything this year, but two quilts I did for customers were entered. One got a 2nd place in wall-hanging and one got a 1st place in scrappy quilts. The girls called me last night and we were both screaming in the phones; I was driving home from work and had to stop the car - I bet they are still walking on air this morning. I'm excited for them and proud I was able to do the quilting for both of these beautiful quits. I'm sure we'll hear from other today regarding fair results. Congratulations to all the winners.

Sharon

Originally posted by cvrchota

congratulations... i recently read where the iowa state fair was deemed the best state fair in the nation!

I believe that.

Probably goes the same for its neighboring states Nebraska, Missouri, and Kansas, too. There is something about that part of the country that grows some very talented quilters. Must be in the water....

Originally posted by countrystitcher

..... I was driving home from work and had to stop the car

I can only imagine how blown away you must be. That's so cool. :)

Contgratulations Sharon. How exciting for you and your customer!! How about some pics?

I heard from a customer this morning that her quilt has a blue ribbon on it. She was really excited!!

for those that haven't been to the Iowa state fair, it has hundreds of quilts. We had the fabric and threads division organizer at our guild awhile back. She said last year it was over 800 quilts. Unfortunately, there is not a place to hang them all for viewing. So most of them get folded into 1/4 or smaller for hanging and you can only see a small section of the quilt. They do take all of the blue ribbon quilts to a different room and hang them so you can see the entire quilt.

Deb; didn't you enter anything this year? You had some beauties at long-arm guild show-and-tell this year when I could make the meetings? The blue ribbon quilt is a green toned bear paw pattern - so if you go to the fair that's the one I did, her name is Colleen Henrich. Lots of tiny, tiny half square triangles which I SID's each one of those suckers!!!! I will try and post a photo after I get a shot at the fair. Thanks everyone for your congratulations - I like the idea of getting a photocopy of the ribbon for my album.

Sharon

No Sharon. I didn't enter anything this year. I have a few customer that entered quilts. I don't know if the DM guild raffle quilt was entered either. Anyway, I'd love to go and see all the quilts. But it's not going to work out this year. I'll be out of town this weekend and all of next week.

Are you coming to the guild meeting next week? We are having a demo of Quiltazoid. The gal that developed it lives about an hour north of Des Moines. Should be fun. I'd like to be there to see it, but will be in WI instead.

WOW!! Congratulations Sharon - now that sounds like a state fair I would want to go to!!! Lots of quilts!!

We have our guild meeting tonight and are having Kay Capps Cross, I think she is a pattern maker??? I know I have seen the name before someplace.....

Would love to see this quilt with the Bear Paws - please post us a photo if you can!

I lived in Iowa for many years, got my start in hand quilting there. One year after doing a lot of work for a couple of ladies, they dared me to enter the show, I did and not knowing anything about competing, just thought I would get my quilt back after the fair ended. At the time winners were hung from the side and rafters of a great barn type structure, imagine my surprise to see my quilt up so high with a big red ribbon on it!!! I'm glad I took the chance, it has opened up so many possibilities for me. I couldn't go this year, babysitting new grandbaby, but my husband went with the nephews, he always has orders to take pictures in the "quilt barn"!

We think so much of this fair, even though we've lived in other states for the last 18 years, we go back most years with the family. Next year plan on including 4 children,their 2 spouses, 5 grandchildren under 4, great-grandma,pa, 2 SIL,1 uncle, and 3 nephews, one niece!!!! (from 5, states Whoopee)

Enter a show or fair, show what quilters can do, be proud of your work, make new friends, dream big.. Happy Quilting, Pat

Archived