artist in the house

So, I confess that I've been quite possessive of Maggie Gray (my millie) since she arrived. When Maggie first arrived, I let my daughter Hannah (age 9) practice some - but that was 6 months ago. On the quilt I finished tonight, I had purposefully made the backing and batting extra long. When I got done, I put on some scrap fabric and let Hannah quilt for a while. First, she did a large meander. Then I asked her to try a horse. The attached picture shows the horse and the dog (with collar/tag) that she did. I didn't capture the words she sewed, but the artwork tells me that she has more natural talent than her mom:) Here's to the next generation of LA quilters.

Lynn

post--1346190272367_thumb.jpg

I wondered about the Etch-a-Sketch we had as kids, because it's a continuous line, would be a great tool for kids to practice on for longarm quilting. Hannah's drawings remind me of that. My hat's off to the future quilters!!

I think that's pretty good for one so young.

Patty, I'm glad that you got the information! As for the business, Hannah wants to be my partner to earn money so she can buy a dog and horse. I'm all for encouraging her independence along those lines.

To the rest of the forum, a big thank you for your wonderful notes to Hannah. She will read them all when she gets out of school this afternoon; she was so excited that I posted her doodling. I've squared up the dog & horse pieces to bind them for small wallhangings in her room.

Kristina, you are such a good role model for encouraging your children's talent! Hannah has made and quilted small quilts for family cats, though she hasn't done a full quilt on Maggie Gray yet. I think that will be a good mother/daughter project over the winter holidays.

Lynn

Yes, Hannah is a great artist.. and Mom is great to share.. I was surprised when I let others try Penny, even kids, now I try to keep a practice piece on the frame when new to long arm quilters (hyphenated comment enclosed.) will be coming by. Only one lady was afraid to try. She finally moved the machine about a foot.

It's great to hear you sharing your machine with Hannah and it also lessens the chance she will come to resent the time you spend on it.

Great Going Hannah, and you have a great Mommy, too.

Rita & Himself.

Hannah, Your horse and dog and words are just terrific. be sure you practice all you can and someday we will be all clapping and doing a happy dance because you won a ribbon for your quilting.

Lyn what a wonderful gift you are giving your daughter.

Originally posted by LFQuilts

Thank You... I draw everything on anything. Maybe I will take a picture of some of my artwork and my teeny-tiny sewing machine:):):):):):):):):) Thanks a billion.

Hannah

Really? A billion? That's a lot... :)

PS: When I was a kid like you (before I got old like your mom) I used to draw ALL OF THE TIME and I loved it. So, that is what I want to tell you --- to keep drawing your entire life. Have fun.

Hannah....I too want to day ATTA girl...your pony and dog rock....I've been quilting for over 12 years on a longarm, and I wouldn't even begin to try that. I can write, but DRAW....NO WAY. You rock keep up the great work, and just think in no time flat maybe you not only have the horse and dog, but the stable and dog house as well. Big goals as just as important as tiny ones.:P

Archived