I'd like crosshatch at panto price. Suggestions?

This customer hates anything curly, no swirls, no feathers, no ferns, nada. She wants crosshatch and SID around the arrow shapes. I told her how much more that kind of work would cost and no way did she want to pay for that. Ok, the question - How on earth do I quilt this without spending too much time and still give her geometric with points?

post--13461902834157_thumb.jpg

Be in control of your business! Don't let this customer tell you what to do and at what price. I really see a beautiful overall pattern on this quilt. If she wants cross-hatch then she has to pay for it. I may not be any help here but I've been burned myself a few times and have decided I won't any longer. Set your price and stick with it. We are "professional quilters" and deserve that credit!

Sharon

I think you have mentioned the answer. If a customer wants custom work then they have to pay custom prices. Otherwise you will be giving your work away for less than you are worth. Give her the panto designs and ask her to choose one. I have had customers who did not even want to pay 1 1/2 cent prices. I held my ground and they paid. If you do it for this customer everybody will get wind of it and then you will have to do it for them all. Just my 2 cents.

Nora

Millennium

Washpugal WA

Viki you've recieved great advice above. Protect yourself and don't get mowed over by a D-8.

Here is an idea... do you have channel locks? If you can put it on point you can diamond xhatch this puppy quickly. Or you can xhatch it straight on the frame the way it is, too, using channel locks.

Like someone said above, there are some pantos (or feehand) you can do the jiggy jaggy angular lines and just go e2e with those. You can give her these options.

If she still does not like these and won't pay your price to spend a million hours doing SID, then you can also give here the option to shop around to other quilters in the area.

Tieing it with yarn is another option and she can do that herself. Don't tell her that one though. Ha! :P

The only thing I would even consider is channel locking and doing straight grid. I would be sure to tell her that it may not fall right in the ditch as you can't guarantee that it would line up. Take charge. If she wants a panto find those that are geometric and tell her that is her choice for that price. What about a zigzag pattern?

A Caterpillar D-8 dozer is much larger than that Dory! :D

I like Shana's idea of using channel locks and crosshatching the whole thing horizontally/vertically. That would be quick and easy.

Do you have a board with crosshatching? That would go quickly too. RnS sells them.

http://www.rns-design.com/LongArmPage1.htm

I have had friends ask me to quilt their tops and just SID them. Are they kidding? They have no idea. You need to tell her her options with prices...and stick to your guns! If she is on a fixed income (like SS) you might decide to cut a small break... but don't let her tell you what you will do for what price! :)

Sometimes they just need to see what others might charge her. Let her take the quilt top to someone else and see their prieces. It only takes one unhappy person to spoil a business. Often the best thing is not to do anything. I would just tell her sorry, I can't help you and give her the names and phone #'s of other LA'ers in your area.

The Circle Lord Waves and Zig Zag giant template allows for crosshatching at an allover price. But you can't necessarily determine where each line will be. For instance, the lines may cross through the middle of one of those red blocks, but it is crosshatching, and I've used it several times.

I've used it as an allover and just for borders.

But if you don't have the CL template, I think Heidi's suggestion of channel locking would be the way to go, though you may want to turn the quilt to do the vertical lines unless you don't mind stopping and starting a lot.

Archived