DoryJM Please Address this Message

I read something that looked like it was a quick answer, something about Hawaii...5th anniversary. But there are a lot of post out there commenting on her avatar and she is just passing them by... She looks great! Makes me wonder why she was hiding behind that quilt...if I looked like that I would be posing on the quilt ;)

Okay, that's enough!!! Stop it...I wish they had a red faced "smiley" because that would be me.

That is, by far, the best picture that has been taken of me since I turned gray. I DO NOT really look like that so much now...picture chubbier cheeks!!

That was taken on our 5th anniversary when we were in Hawaii. I was in training for Tevis (a 100 mile in 24-hour endurance ride on my pony), so I was exercising <i>a bunch</i> and really getting in shape. Two back surgeries later, I'm trying to get back in shape.:( I'm determined to get there though...I'm turning 50 in January and I don't want to be chubby <i>and</i> 50!!

Hey, today is the one-year anniversary since my second surgery!! Now that's something to celebrate.

Okay, enough now...stop!!!!

Originally posted by DoryJM

Originally posted by penelopefabric

What wrong with Chubby and 50?

Nothing wrong with it; I'm just trying to avoid it!

Sorry honey, but life is a B***h and chubby and 50 is just plan life....I'll never see 118 again, and not sure I would really want to...I'll just be tickled to death to see 170.

I realize something too. With age seems to come a little extra weight. I am not the 105 that I once was before kids. My metabolism has slowed way down even thought i am very active. I have features about myself that I do not like...but I am very happy! That is what is important.

I am only 37...but when I hit 45 I hope to look as good as Dory did in her 'new' avatar. End of story.

I am certainly amongst a beautiful group of both men and women on this forum. Beautiful not only in appearances...but personalities too! What could be better?!?! :)

My nurse practitioner told me just last week that we NEED chubby as we age to maintain our immunities and femaleness. (my paraphrase) Something about our "chubby" storing those essential hormones and cells that preserve us.

At least, that's my excuse. If I lost all my chubby, I'd look like a bag of wrinkles, and who needs that!:P

Okay, but here's the point: I'm not looking to lose the entire 15 lbs that I gained prior to surgeries, but losing 10 is reasonable and would make 50 mile endurance rides so much easier. Being in shape for that sport just makes it so much more fun! That's my real goal...although I don't want to weigh 150 when I turn 50...that part is vanity:o

What I love about being 50+ is being me. I don't colour my hair anymore, I love my grey. Yeah, well, I wish I was slimmer, but to be honest I have so many things on my plate that thinking about my weight just isn't a priority. But I do know exactly what you mean, Dory, about having to be in shape for the endurance rides you love. I know to really enjoy any horse riding activity it is much more enjoyable to be fit.

Is it just me, or have you all noticed that there seems to be a lot of baby boomers who do not colour their hair, but rather enjoying the grey? I love it.

Aren't quilters just naturally gorgeous? I'm sure I heard that somewhere!

;)

Bonnie and Connie, I'm with ya, too. I'm not quite 49 yet and I just want to be "Fit and 50" no matter what the scales say. I'm working on it (just started back 3 days ago).:) Really!

Dory, awesome picture! Have faith that you will reach your goal!

I was all natural for a long time and then for some dumb reason I decided to color my hair 2 weeks ago and I've regretted it ever since because it doesn't look like me. No new avatars for me for awhile. Hate the growing out stage that I will be facing soon AGAIN! Argh!

Okay, I hit the dye every chance I get. I don't like it and if I had enough gray to look good I would leave it, but I kind of look....skunky :D:P I look really old and tired....so bring on the dye with highlights...I'm going to dye it until I look like I'm old trying to look young :)

My hair was really black, but I started graying at 16. Colored it forever, but then got tired of it because its so gray that I would have a skunk stripe down the middle of my head 2 weeks after coloring. My gray is okay, but I did like my hair better black; however, I'm not willing to color it to get it that way. They now do a reverse weave every 3 mos and put a little black in it. I'm lucky that mine is mostly silver--so was my grandma's.

love your photo Dory and good for you for trying to lose those few pounds. I admire anyone who has the will power to do so. I have decided that being chunky is okay but I would like to lose a few pounds so I don't look more than chunky. I too quit coloring my hair as it got too expensive so I just look spotted. now if my grey looked like Dory's I wouldn't even worry about it

My mother had brown hair when she was young, and as she aged, her hair turned white. She always complained about "yellow" hair, but I always thought it was "Golden". I could never convince her otherwise. I made the decision then that I would never color my hair as it grayed, and once in a while I get compliments on my hair because of it's color. It's quite a mix of white/silver/gray/and some "golden" threads.

I like MB's idea that if you start to "look" like you're trying to be young, DON'T. Instead, let the "inner" you shine. I like the way God made my hair. HE knew what color looks best on me.

We have the choice, if you don't like it, you can change it.:D

I didn't used to dye my hair, but my 30 yo niece, whose a hairdresser thought I should spice it up a bit.....shades of red. I've always had dark brown hair, I love the red highlights. My slightly older sister (50 this year) has/had light brown hair and colors it to a beautiful white. It makes her appear less bald and her hair looks so much thicker.

Archived