I'm longing for beautiful feathers.

To put it bluntly, my feathers suck (they look so hodgie podgie...if those are real words). I can go one way but then to go the other way, it's like trying to pat my head and rub my belly at the same time and it doesn't work for me. One side may look fine and then the other side looks like an alien was driving the machine. I've tried slowing down and speeding up. I've tried the hump-bump and retracing styles.

SO, what advice can any of you give in your favorite books, videos, classes, etc. to someone that wants to quilt beautiful feathers like I see posted on this forum? The first thing I'd like to get out of the above would be that "Oh, I get it now" feeling.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Cindy,

It helps me to think of a certain sized object that you are going around at the tip of the feather, such as a dime, and actually say 'I'm going around the dime'. It also helps me to go down the spine a ways, instead of just touching it between feathers; it helps give me some momentum for doing the next feather. Try to keep your feathers skinnier -- it makes it easier, for me anyway, to keep the proper shape. Also, don't force yourself to go down a spine quilting feathers backwards, just do one side and then go back to the base of the spine before doing the feathers on the other side. It really helps to practice feathers with a pen and paper. Find someone elses quilted feathers, make a copy and then just spend a hour with a pen 'quilting it.' You'll get it -- just takes time!:)

Kimmy Brunner's Twirly Whirly Feathers! I'll bet it took me TWO MONTHS, but I finally got it! I just kept practicing on paper.Now, on the machine, well, they are not perfect, but a LOT better than the other way.

And if you have to do them "the other way", and not bump, bump; think of merging onto the freeway to get the swirl. DeLoa Jones shared that with me and it made mine better.

I'm sure some of the experts will chime in here. God knows I'm no expert, but this is what works for me~!:P:P

Cindy--I have taken several feathering classes this summer--one was with Reane H at the AQS in Des Moines, another one online "Feather Bootcamp" with Suzanne Early on the MQR site, and loved Kimmy Bruner's DVD--Whirly Twirly Feathers. The one thing all of them stress is to DRAW DRAW DRAW!! Doodle on everything you can get your hands on and it will really imprint itself on your brain!!

You can do it!!!

Thanks for all your input. I guess maybe that's part of my problem...I'm not much of a doodler. I remember doodling my boyfriend's names on my notebooks in school, but that's about it. :D Guess it's time to change my ways and start doodling feathers and train the brain on the motions, but I want to make sure I get the correct motions. I see a new DVD in my future, too.

Yup, get your kid's old school notebooks (the old ones with paper still left in them) and draw, draw, draw. On the phone, if front of TV, anywhere. It has helped me but I think I still have a long way to go. I have taken some classes and bought books. they all help! Study the feathers of pictures you like.

Cindy, are you running feathers up one side of the spine and down the other? If so, you're trying to use two totally opposite motions to create the same shape. Is it easier for you to make the feather from the bottom up or from the top down? Try stitching the feathers on one side, then going back to the beginning and stitch the feathers on the other side.

Holly, I've tried both ways. Looks better when I do go back to the beginning and start up the other side, but you can tell my righthand feathers are definitely better than my lefthand feathers, if that makes sense. Maybe my brother could do better...he is ambidextrous (can write with either hand, etc.).:D

Hi! I would definitely recommend Claudia Pfeils DVD, she explains it all in just the right way for my brain to go "aha!", the light bulb switched on and off I went! I have quite a collection of other DVDs and books but none of those gave me that light bulb moment.

I think for me it is the way she talks about how to start your feathers, and how to work out the angles etc. I haven't seen that in my other books/DVDs.

Susan

Hi Cindy--find the type of feathers you like and can do well. Once you master one way of drawing and have the spacing, shape, and connections nailed, move on to another method.

Backtrack feathers are the hardest--require matching thin thread, a steady hand, and minute control of the machine. Save those for last!!;)

Hooked feathers are great, can cover a lot of space when used as an overall, and are easy to master. They look very impressive and the shapes of the feathers vary so they are forgiving as well.

Practice (yes, you must!) on paper with a gel roller pen or on the always-recommended white dry-erase board. If you practice on paper you have a hard copy and can save your best efforts and can see your improvement.

Good luck on your quest for your favorite method!

I'm just a beginner on the LA. I recently watched Sharon Schamber's DVD Long Arm Feathers To Die For and found it very helpful. The second time I watched it I used a sketch pad to draw what she demonstrated. Practiced drawing, then practiced on my machine. My feathers are not to die for yet, but at least they look like feathers now. Try www.sharonschamber.com.

I'm a beginner with the same problem..one side is great, the other side is wonky. I have found I can make great looking feathers using Sally Terry's "Hooked on Feathers" method. Both sides come out evenly and I am able to establish a rhythm that works well for me. Once they are completed, the feathers look really nice, and one would have to look closely to notice the method isn't conventional.

When I was learning to do feathers (and I still use this often) I used my dry erase board. Then your garbage can isn't filled up with paper. I have 2 that are about 10 x 12 inches and they went with me everywhere I thought I might have a wait (Dr's office, Dentist, picking up friends from the airport - etc...) I also found one at Target with lines on it to teach little ones their letters and numbers. The lines are great to keep the feathers consistant in size. Just some more ideas. And unfortunately, it is a PPP thing. Gotta' do that so that you get the muscle memory in your hands and brain. You can do it. Just practice a bunch more than you think you need to.;)

Another tip is to find a good drawing that you like of feathers. Put it in a page protector and trace over the lines with a dry erase marker. Wipe off, do it again and again. I have used this method on many types of motifs so that I could put them in quilts. Hope that this may help too.;)

Thank you all for the wonderful advice (I am soaking it all in and following up). I have been practicing/doodling and this afternoon I loaded a lapquilt to give to my FIL and drew some on with chalk and was able to follow them pretty easily (he won't mind getting a practice top). I don't feel like they are wonky today and they are getting more uniform. It will be awhile before I post any pictures of my feathers though. I need a lot more PPP!!:D

Cindy, it took me a long time to get them down also...so don't fear, it will come. Kimmy Brunner's Twirly Whirly Feathers DVD was the best help for me and its amazing when the light bulb turns on the room does get brighter. Claudia's new CD is so worth the dollars if you haven't already done that. She too will help you get over the fear.;) Good Luck and it will all come together when the time is right for you.:cool:

Originally posted by Joy

Hi Susan

Where did you buy your Claudia Pfeils DVD from

Not Susan, but did find this information for you.

You can email Claudia at: post@quilt-und-co.de

http://www.quilt-und-co.de

This is her German Website...I couldn't find the one I was reading in English...but you can email her and she will get back with you.

Hi Joy! I emailed Claudia (Bonnie just posted her email address) when she first announced it a couple of months ago, she emailed me back to confirm the price and I paid her with paypal and she posted it off to me :)

She is still in Melbourne for a couple more days, I think she sold out of the copies she brought with her but it would be worth giving Sue a call to find out, otherwise she will be home again sometime soon after doing some sightseeing first from what I understand, maybe a week to 10 days or there abouts :)

Susan

Cindy, it takes PPP then more PPP. If you get a chance take Myrna or Karen McTavish's classes, they are great. I'm totally feather challenged, my feathers get smaller and smaller until the feather looks like a tear drop. Don't give up, I did and computerized my "gator". My feathers are now as beautiful as the designer who digitized them.

Connie, sometimes computerizing sounds like a good idea, but since I mostly quilt for self, friends, and donation stuff, well money doesn't grow on trees around here. :o I'm going to order a CD and start there besides PPP. I just admire so many's feathers on this forum that it makes me drool sometimes. :D Like Bonnie said, it will come together for me when the time is right. I'm just not as patient as I once was.:P

Archived