Funky Quilting Ideas...UPDATE WITH PHOTOS AT THE END

My customer has asked for funky quilting, but open, light quilting. Otherwise I'd do some real funky background fillers in these flower blocks. Keeping it open has me stumped (I tend to go overboard....). I was thinking some rick-rack around the flowers/stems maybe, but I'm really at a loss here and need to get this done by Sunday. HELP HELP. (lousy picture - but I think you can get the idea) Thanks.

post--13461903151778_thumb.jpg

I would do a different style of flower petals on each different flower. That would be super cute! You could quilt different leaves, vines, etc. too. Maybe a butterfly here or there? Bumble bees? The outer border is really busy. I would just outline those flowers to accentuate the fabric pattern. You gotta post when done. It's so cute!

Those Kaffe fabrics always give me fits! The designs are all over the place scale-wise. If the quilting is obvious (thick thread/contrasting colors) it just competes with the fabric and also with the smaller scale applique. Things get so frantic you can't figure out where to look next!

Soooo....I would use a thinner thread in a neutral and make the fabric do the work. I might even use Monolon if it was given to me to quilt. Perhaps stitch all horizontal and vertical lines to fill the spaces behind the flowers--all freehand and all a little wonky. Maybe with a ghost flower thrown in for interest. Fill one block at a time with lines (wavey if you like) in one direction and curves at the end to switch directions. Density is up to you. Then switch to vertical for the adjacent area.

Another option--a nice medium fill everywhere with fat and funky leaves about the size of the appliqued leaves and an inside-out swirl to add interest. Again with a quiet thread. That should fill a lot of space and make the viewer want to step in for a better look at the quilting! SID around the applique or echo it.

Have fun and please post finished photos! Pretty "classic" Kaffe Fassett quilt--always funky and attention grabbing!

thank you so much. i really appreciate your input here. i work best when i can talk things out so this helped alot. i think i'll go with fat and funky leaves with the swirl. I'll try it with my clear drawing board tomorrow. Do like the idea of the wonky lines too.

Do you have the QZ or CL spiro?? I might find the center of the flower head and put a spiro design on it--to look like petals--that spills past the appique--and even into the next block--not every flower--say maybe 1-3 per flower pot. Then do some wonky crosshatching in the backgrounds--similar to Linda's idea.

In the border I might do an "Onions and Garlic" type fill--great texture--not a lot of design!!

What a fun quilt!!!

this one was too fun--I had to do a bit of drawing--I don't have my QZ manual in the house so I don't have as many spiro's drawn as could be used--but the possibilties are endless!!

Disregard the 2 random lines in the middle--couldn't get them erased!!

The border is the "onions and garlic"--by Megan Best--love useing this design!! Great texture!!!

Have fun and please post pics!!!

post--13461903152691_thumb.jpg

I too find Kaffe fabrics a little too busy for me, but I can see how they would be fun for anyone who thrives on "funky". I really like Shana's ideas and Terri's drawings! I can hardly wait for the results.

Terri, that's the first I've ever seen the "Onions and Garlic" you used in the border. I really love that. I'm going to have to check out Megan Best. Thanks!

I think the thread should be a red as that is the dominant color. They are right let the quilt pattern do the work. Or, could do a varigated with reds to blend in. I know that single airy or spacey is what the customer once. Not should about quilting pattern yet. Have to sleep in it.

love that last border idea. that's great. yes, i would love to petal the flowers but she nixed that idea.....this one scares me as she shared a story of having to take ALL the stitches out of her last quilt because the longarm did it too dense. I wanted to run away, but just kept telling myself to keep breathing. I'm a dense quilter - just love love love thread on fabric.

Thanks to all of you for chiming in here. This is such a wonderful place. Maybe I'll start calling it my happy place :D:D:D

I know you probably have this quilt done now, but here is a suggestion. I did this on paint and it is horrible but maybe you can get the idea. Quilt "puddles. It is easy to get around the applique with puddles. The outer circle is not really a circle, but a wavy puddle. Work your way into the middle, then work you way back out. It makes nice texture and gives some movement, too.

post--13461903158237_thumb.jpg

cool idea. no, i didn't start it yet. i emailed and also left a message for the customer to make sure my approach would meet her expectation. decided no quilt is worth losing sleep over and did not want her to 'take all the stitches out' Thanks for the puddle idea. if I don't use it on this one I'll have it for another. Like the way you can work around the applique with it.

Hi Sandra - my thoughts exactly. She called this morning and wasn't quite sure on the ideas I had shared so we are meeting on Thursay. I'm going to recommend a funky echo, incorporating some leaves in the echo and a funky flower or two. she called today to make sure I understood she wanted it lightly quilted. Heaven help me, but she was not concerned it wouldn't be ready when expected.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived