Pics from Road to California Quilt Show

In case anyone would like to see, I've posted about 40 pictures of quilts on display at the Road to California Quilt Show that was held last week in Southern California. Here is the URL:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46362564@N02/

Almost all the long arm companies had a machine or two on display this year, a real first. Finally got to try the Prodigy after waiting to give this little puppy a test drive for two years. I also tried and compared it to the Lenny. Here are my thoughts:

The carriage on the Prodigy glides more easily than the Lenny, the handles on the Prodigy are easy to use when sitting down as well. Both are a real plus for ease of use/comfort etc. The owner came from the "industrial" machine side of the biz so this instilled a lot of confidence.

Lenny, however, had prettier stitches. The threads on the two machines might have been different so it might have been a factor in the difference. It also could have been due to different settings for thread tension.

However, all else being equal, I would be willing to make the trade off, ie. comfort over small tiny difference in stitch appearance.

The Prodigy had a nice little darning foot that made it real easy to see the stitches, and this was a real plus when trying to back track on stitches. (Not sure if QPQS offers this as an option.)

Still couldn't get the free motion work I can do on my domestic to look as nice on either long arm. I'm told that you have to learn how to move with the machine when making the switch to a long arm.

One last difference I noticed, and again, it could have been due to different settings, I'm not sure, but the Lenny seemed to move faster and the Prodigy moved slower. I know that sounds strange since in theory the machine lays down the stitches as fast or as slow as you move the handles/carriage, but I kinda liked the way the Lenny seemed to move faster when I pushed it along. The carriage was stiffer, but the faster movement seemed to help sompensate for that.

Now that I've just said that I just realized, I think the best way to say this is that the Prodigy handles extremely well when you are moving very slow, working on small detailed areas; whereas the Lenny seemed to work better when you keep your pace up, work on large sweeping designs.

In the end, my thoughts were, go with the Prodigy.

Well, hope this helps in case someone is lurking through the postings looking for some feedback on long arms.

Hope you enjoy the pictures!:P

(No replies from dealers please.):mad:

I must say..it never ceases to amaze me the kanowies of some people.. This site is hosted by APQS and welcomes everyone to join and share (not like other manufactures sites)..but for people to promote another brand of machine and suggest someone buy another machine over an APQS is just plain classless...I have seen this time and again and just couldn't remain silent any longer.. For someone looking to buy a machine, I say try as many different makes as you can..everyone likes and dislikes different things, it's a personal preference..but when you buy a machine it's not just the machine you are buying but the service after..that's always something to keep in mind. So if you want to promote another brand of longarm, I suggest you do it somehere else.:mad:

The folks here on the chat of APQS are helpful and over the past three years that I have had an APQS Millennium I have had worry-free use and spectacular results and met some really nice quilters who have given me so much help from ideas of how to stitch a quilt to tools, photos of finished quilts to celebrations. We're a wonderful online family. I have spoken to several pros who have been quilting a long time and they have switched from other brands to APQS.

There are a lot of brands on the market and I encourage you to buy what feels the best for you. Good luck with your purchase, whatever brand it is, and hope you enjoy the world of longarm quilting and hope you find more time to quilt.

Thank you for the photos. You have a good eye for close up cropping. The photo with the pink highly stitched feathers is Linzi's quilt. She is from Scotland and an APQS chat friend. I too was fascinated by the Quilt Show blue ribbon winner with the miniature quilts, little ribbons, and people looking at the selection of different types of quilts. Very cute.

Vicki

Thanks for the Road Pictures. I was surprised to see some pictures of a couple of quilts I don't remember seeing. I like them, so I know I would have remembered them if I had seen them. I thought I had seen them all.

I also expected more postings here of pictures from Road.

It is possible to order a DVD of every quilt exhibited, which I plan to do, so I only took close-ups.

It's possible that No Time to Sew had ulterior motives when posting as I see that this is just their first post. But I do have to take exception to Hester's post. I have a Gammill and I have never felt frustrated like I do now. I enjoy all I have learned here and I am glad APQS sponsors this forum. I read many posts from people trying to decide which longarm to buy and if those of us can't respond ( I really do like my machine) because we own something else then all they will get is praises for APQS and that really doesn't help them make their decision. Granted, most of you tell others to try out many different machines and each has to make their own decision. I appreciate that. Ane I don't expect someone who sell the APQS to try to convince someone otherwise but I also don't expect someone to tell me I can't talk positively about my machine.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox. Not sure if really feel better for it or not. Thanks for listening.

This forum has always been helpful to all longarmers. The main thing is helpful. I to am very thanksful for all sorts of help and information about longarming, fabric and supplies. I like the friendliness and curtisy that I receive here. Getting a longarm that feels right for each person is a personal preference and finances. We can talk longarm problems even if different brands as everybody has the same issues sometime.

Thank You APQS Forum from all of us little people.

No time to sew, Thanks for posting those pictures!! It is wonderful to see them!! I LOVE the "peoples choice award" I at first thought that it was a picture that you had taken at the quilt show... REALLY NEAT!!! Thanks again and welcome to the chat! Anyone is welcome here! You'll learn allot!! linda

I think one of the problems with posts like this is that they're often not even signed. If you have something valid to say, and you're not ashamed or embarrassed to say it, readers here would find your opinions more believable if you had the courtesy to let us know who you are. Hiding behind anonymity does nothing to give the reader any confidence in what you say.

Yes, I'm a proud APQS Dealer, but coutesy is courtesy, regardless of any company affiliation.

ALL machine owners are welcome here, and kudos to APQS for giving us such an open forum. It is one of a kind. I think this is one of the things that demonstrates APQS's confidence in the quality of the products they continue to develop for us.

JMHO.

When I first read the posting, I didn't think that much about the "promotion" for the Prodigy because I'm not in the market for a machine; in fact, I don't know what it is or even who makes it, but evidently not APQS! I was somewhat taken aback by Hester's post but I can see her point. How nice of APQS to allow us "foreigners" to participate so freely and learn so much, but she is right, it is "tacky to the max" to use APQS's FREE / OPEN TO ALL forum to promote a different brand of machine, especially as a brand new post, not as a post on a thread discussing that subject.

It may or may not be a coincidence that this is her first posting and then, one wonders, what is to be made of the request "(No replies from dealers please.)"? A rather strange comment for someone to make if they are only comparing different machines.

And I give up. How do you put signature and all that info at the bottom of your post without typing it from scratch each time, and I know you don't do that?

Marilyn

Omega Quiltworks

Hi "No Time to Sew",

Thank you for taking and sharing all your Road to Calif. pictures. I've been going to their site every day to see if they have posted winners and pictures---so far they haven't. So, it was fun to browse nice photos.

I believe you were sincere, yet a bit naive with your posting, and comparisons of the two machines you mentioned. I clicked on your profile and then did a bit of research and found your blog and Etsy shop. (Nordyknits.) You appear to be a new quilter--and a fabulous knitter!

I have a Prodigy Quilter that I purchased in Sept. after I sold my older APQS Ultimate II.

I would understand if you don't feel comfortable posting here again---personally I'm not feeling real warm and fuzzy here right at the moment either, and I've been on this forum for many years.

BTW, I if I was still an APQS owner, I would have used my powers of persuasion to get you to consider a Lennie instead, since you are here on the APQS forum, which makes me think you probably wanted someone to point out to you all it's wonderful and positive features versus other machines and frames, including the Prodigy Quilter. Missed opportunity by the owners here I would say.

If you want to hang out with Prodigy Quilters they have a group on Yahoo.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProdigyQuilter/

Best of luck with what ever machine you decide to purchase. I think there are a lot of wonderful machines and frames out there now. Some just have different features or are more ergonomically comfortable than others. It used to not be that way several years ago. Now they all sort of mesh with many of the same features with a few perks here and there some more appealing than the other one in the vender booth next door!

Which in a way can make it difficult as they are so similar now, more so than they used to be. Sort of like General Motor cars. It's hard to tell one from the other. I think that is why colorful paint jobs have become so popular. Another novel way to catch a potential customers eye!

;)

Nowadays, I think it's totally more about customer service than the actual product. They are all so good!

APQS is known for it's terrific customer service.

I haven't had any problems with my new Prodigy, so I don't know how the long term service will be. I did order a few items extra things I wanted from the company, like the Sharon Schamber small foot you mentioned. It came within a week. Only time will tell.

Hopefully you have not been turned off of the APQS machines due to messages posted here. Their machines are very nice too. I have my reasons for buying what I did. A lot of which had to do with the ergonomics and space I would be setting up a frame.

PS. If this forum is exclusively for APQS owners and potential buyers, then I wish the Moderators here would state that plain and clear.

I drive a Mercury Mariner on the road. I've owned Fords for the past 10+ years, but I have owned Nissan and Honda and Chevy, too. I might some day when it's time to trade, I might trade in my Ford for a new model, maybe a different auto manufacturer, but I sure like my Mariner. And, I sure like having choices, too. I loved my Honda and my Chevy, too. Tonight, when I traveled on my road home from work, I saw all sorts of cars on the highway and we were all happily traveling along doing our thing. I didn't see any signs anywhere that the highway that said "No Fords Allowed" or "Honda's Only" on this road. The highway belonged to all of us so we could get to where we were going. :)

Thanks for sharing your Road 2 CA photos. Very pretty!!

Whichever model you choose to drive, that's just fine by me. It's all good and it's all fun. I like that we all have so many choices in VERY WELL MADE machines, fabrics, threads, designs...etc.... Isn't it wonderful????? In the big scheme of things in this world filled with so much sadness and hate, I would hope that quilting and our quilty world would remain a safe place for everone. When I look at quilts hanging in a show, I cannot tell which one was quilted by APQS, Gammill, Prodigy, A-1 or whatever... they were all beautiful quilts and I am always in awe by the creations people make. Happy quilting! :)

No Time to Sew, you are welcome here and thank you for the pictures. However, your post makes me courious about intent since it is your first post, no signature and "No replies from dealers please." This forum is full of "APQS" dealers who you probably just offended. The diversity of this group makes it fun and interesting. If you're a new (or old) Long Armer please stay have fun and learn from the group. Your note may have been sincere, just remember who sponsors this site. First impressions go a long way.

Thank you for taking the time to share the R2C photos -- I enjoyed them.

As an APQS dealer, I appreciated your honest assessment of the pros and cons of the two machines from your perspective; we need feedback. My goal is to assist potential customers in learning about APQS machines, so that they can match their particular needs and wants with the right long arm machine.

Best of luck in your research. You will find that in addition to top notch machines, APQS offers excellent service, before AND after your purchase.:)

Hi,

Angie and Shana used the right words!

I agree with them.

Since I´m also a Prodigy owner I'm not feeling very comfortable either.

I´m surrounded by APQS machines since Claudia is the only Longarmdealer in Germany and I don´t have a problem with it at all.

I´m looking forward to taking classes in Krefeld next week with APQS Owners, Gammils etc...

We do have an addiction in common don´t we?

So let´s go quilt!

Thanks for this wonderful forum!!

Annette

Remscheid, Germany

www.quiltstation.de

:P I am a APQS dealer and I teach longarming at a store that sells HQ, Jewel, and Tin Lizzy. Soon I'll be teaching at a Gammill dealer as well! My classes are generic and as I've worked on a lot of different machines, I find they all have their good points and not so good points. I personally feel that APQS machines have the least amount of picky problems of any brand. I didn't want problems to have to work around as I felt I would have enough trouble learning to quilt! I love my machine and have always been happy with my choice!

I love the fact that I can teach people who have other machines that are very tension picky or thread picky to make their machines run better. Maybe not APQS better for some, but a lot better than it was. At least they learn some tricks to help them with their machines.

Everyone has likes and dislikes. I'm very confident in our machines with the best warranty in the industry (not that you need it because they're pretty bomb proof) and the service from the company. I've had numerous complaints from students about some (not all) of the other machine companies not backing up their machines or being responsive to their customers needs for service or development of certain add-ons to the machines. Their frustration level is very high and they feel stuck and unhappy. (Besides, how many people can hold the phone next to their machine while it's running and have Amy tell them extactly what's wrong and how to fix it!)

Like I said, everyone's needs are unique and they have to find what is a fit and what they're comfortable with. Just don't trade price for quality. You'll be happier in the long run when you have fewer headaches to deal with and can spend more time quilting! Remember when you're at a quilt show playing with the machines, you're only pushing them around for a few minutes. Do your research and see if you can narrow down the list, then really spend some time with a dealer and play with the machines for a lot longer period of time than at a show. You'll be able to really see and feel the differences between the brands. Ask tons of questions until you feel comfortable with your choice.

This forum welcomes everyone. Other forums, you have to own that brand to get on the forum. We all learn from each other and I don't think anyone needs to feel uncomfortable. We all have our opinions. We all have a comman link. It's not the machine that makes the quilt, it's who's pushing it.

Anyone can be here, welcomed and encouraged. It has never been otherwise.

I think the thing that chafed the most was the long, involved description of the process in chosing a machine--without the outcome we expected.;) And of course the "first post/ who am I" situation when most newbies are not so blatant in their first post, nor so anonymous. Makes you a bit suspicious.

Can you imagine the hoots and hollers on the very private and exclusive Gammill site if someone jumped on and said they had a Gammill and decided to switch to an APQS and then delineated all their reasons for doing so? Imagine how quickly they would be derided and eventually deleted??!!

Don't care what machine you drive, or even if you have one. Contribute, comment, encourage, whatever. Just remember where you are and who the sponser is--when in doubt, tread lightly.

I get together with a group of local longarmers who own HQs, a G brand, and an ancient Nolting. We never talk machines (except to whine on occasion if something goes wrong.) Mostly we talk about designs, customers, advertising, and food! Life is good and quilting is marvelous--whatever you drive and however you do it!

I hope those of you who do not own APQS machines do not take offense at some of the comments made here. I think that it does seem odd that someone would intentionally draw us to the post about Road2Ca, only to tell us about their choice of machines. Sound like they have an agenda to me. Everyone is welcome here, or at least they always have been.

You know I have been thinking about this post a lot. When I first saw the post and the description I of course was a little surprised at the rest the message. I don't have any problem with anybody comparing machines...you should! They are a huge investment and I did the same thing. I also see what Hester is saying. This site is hosted by APQS and I think they are always very gracious about everybody using this site. I was suspicious about the post 1 because of the title and then content but the last line is what was I thought a kick in the teeth. Maybe it was done because this person thought that APQS would be upset and scream and yell. Well they just aren't like that! They have a fantastic machine and fantastic service, you won't find better customer service out there! I'm sorry to hear that some of you regulars with other machines would be so offended by Hester's remarks. I don't think she was in any way telling all you that you don't belong. I think what she was trying to point out was that this person should remember that APQS hosts the site and it shouldn't be a place to trash their machines. I love hearing what all of you have to say and I sure would be sad if you left the site just because somebody voiced their frustration. We're all one big happy family and I can tell you that this site is the best! I have met the nicest people and made so many friends who I've also had the pleasure of meeting in person.

so to No time to Sew, please share and get involved no matter what machine you choose. Be sure to do your research and take a few test drives if you can. There are reps all over the country that would be willing to let you take a machine for a test drive. Thanks for the pictures.

I personally feel like part of the long arm family that lives on this forum. It doesn't matter what machine you have, what your experience level is, we all share amongst ourselves - not only about our quilting but our happy and sad times also. We share our lives, pray for each other and rejoice at forum members achievements. Sounds like a family to me!

We are family and I appreciate all of you.....Mercedes

Archived