how many is to many?

LOL I currenty have 3 different projects going.

One is on Loal being quilted.

The Second is a Y2K quilt that I am piecing for Joe, Sharon passed away before she could get it finished. Then it will go on Lola.

The Third is "Flying into Spring" the flying geese and applique quilt that was in the April issue of "American Patchwork and Quilting".

LOL I do this to myself all the time, can't seem to have just one project going at any given time. Are any of you the same way or is this just something I do to drive myself crazy. LOL

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Mary Beth

Are we suppose to have one project going at a time :o:o Dang!! That is what I have been doing wrong on this time!!!

I know....and then you walk up and find you have ones that you started 10 years ago and can't find it all now because of three moves...:P

I was working on a quilt when DH came into the studio one day. He said, "Weren't you just working on one the other day that was blue and white? Where is that quilt?" I told him I put it aside to finish this one. He looked at me, like he could "help" me and said that he thought I should finish one project before I started another one. :D:D:D:D:D:D I looked at him like he had three heads!!!

Don't worry about living that long, Dell. As is in one of the quilt camp books, just label all your unfinished projects with someone's name. That way, when they see you were doing something special just for them, they'll be motivated to have someone finish it. LOL! I don't have as many friends and family as I have UFOs that need to be labeled.

Seriously, though. I had been wondering why that POD was doing in the front yard. I guess my husband is finally going to claim one room for himself.

Anita

Would you believe I used to own a quilt and antique shop and now cant bear to part with all the quilt tops I have accumulated. I hoard quilt tops--hand pieced and machine pieced--someday they will be quilted!!! I did sell some fabric and quilt tops during the quilt show in Paducah a few years ago, but the ones I want to keep, I just put a really high price on them!! DH just thinks its the economy and things aren't selling.

I know I dont have 57 or anywhere near that number, but I do lose count of how many I have. I just try to resurface about a dozen or so each year and put them on a todo this year list. My guild and another group started our PHD lists that is Projects Half Done. So they at least have to be started. not just a pattern and fabric picked out. Has to have been cut and partially assembled to qualify. Try to finish at least one a month is a goal I try to reach. sometimes it works and sometimes not. but hey, who cares, it is the process that counts!!

If we ever moved again ........... not likely to happen (they will have to carry us out of this house in a box -;):D) we would move my craft, quilting and sewing stuff in a Road Train!!!!

I do finish projects, but have decided that I can really play with my children's heads trying to sort my sewing rooms - yes, plural - when the time comes because I am no longer. Friends of ours had a boat called "Meagan's Inheritance" for obvious reasons. My children will receive their inheritance in terms of thread and fabric and the myriad of toys that I absolutely NEED and require for quilting. (Where the nailgun fits in I am not quite sure yet, but I am sure I will find a really good use for it! Shouldn't every girl have at least one?!:D) If I can transform some of the pieces of fabric into quilts - all the better. Besides, counting UFOs is just too frightening. Like Jeanne said, it is the process of creating that counts - ohh wait on - you meant FINISHING projects didn't you. ;)

Cheers,

I decided to count them and put them in a spreadsheet when I was getting NO projects done. And it was actually getting frustrating. I worked and worked on quilts and didn't even have 1 to show for all that work.

Since I have them written down, I can actually focus on what I have and choose to work on what I want to work on. I have finished 2 quilts already this year. Now, granted 1 of them is just a very small table topper, but the other was a large lap quilt.

We are creative folks who all work differently. I need a project to suit my immediate satisfaction level. I'm not going to count the ones I've put away working on the "out of sight, out of mind theory".

I have a pieced top on the design wall with an attempt at adding to it that didn't go well. I'm a design as you go, fly by the seat of your pants -and wonder why others don't get to experience the joy of working themselves into a corner and still can't figure out math process that I so actively employ. I have a quilt loaded that needs maybe two rows to finish and then bind. I have the fall quilt swap quilt started and stuck on the piecing and then decided it was time to do the applique, got so far as drawing it all out on the wonder-under stuff and haven't ironed it to any of the fabric yet.

I used to beat myself up about not being able to successfully complete one project at a time. Now I know myself better and think that when I do finally birth all of these projects, I'm gonna have my own set of quintuplets.

It's what gets us going into our studios, what excites me today,what colors do I want to run my hands over, do I want the quiet of stitching binding, or the orderliness of cutting? If I cut these pieces, will I lose both interest and the instructions before I get back to it?

I live my life on the edge. NOt always the cutting edge, but on the edge all the same.

Archived