how many is to many?

Originally posted by hollyc

personally, I like to finish one before I start another.

I agree with this statement. I never work on more than two things at a time and I always finish everything. I guess I'm cheap at heart. I figure if I'm going to spend the money [and face it, this isn't a cheap hobby], then I sure as heck better finish what I started:)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the weekend when Mary Beth was cleaning out her studio I got motivated to attempt to try and organize mine as well. I came across all of the UFO's in various stages and all were started with good intentions but for whatever reason never made it to the finish line, why is that some projects do get finished while others just fall through the cracks? I felt remorse for the projects that were several years old, stashed away and forgotten but not enough that it kept me from ordering more fabric to start a 5th king size bed quilt for my own bed...hmmm now when the fabric arrives will I be able to resist cutting into it until the other ones already started for my bed are done? Probably not.

And lets not bring up the countless other projects that I have going at the same time...I just pray that I live long enough to finish all of the projects I have and all of the ones I want to do....I know, a girl can dream can't she?

My name is Joann and I am a quilt-aholic! :cool:

Originally posted by Chocoholic

I decided to count them and put them in a spreadsheet when I was getting NO projects done. And it was actually getting frustrating. I worked and worked on quilts and didn't even have 1 to show for all that work.

Since I have them written down, I can actually focus on what I have and choose to work on what I want to work on. I have finished 2 quilts already this year. Now, granted 1 of them is just a very small table topper, but the other was a large lap quilt.

This is my plan too...

I would like to do this with all my fabric, but it would take some much time...I don't want to spend the time doing this when I could be doing something else, like piecing or quilting.

Even though this is my plan....it probably won't happen. Maybe I should put all my "plans" on a spreadsheet.

Well, Sheila....the number I gave was just a rough calculation, so I too will start to put them on a spreadsheet. I really like this idea as well.

My last years thought was I would get ONE quilt from the the UFO, PIG pile done each month ....but like that happened. So maybe I will not put it in stone, but be a bit better about finishing one quilt before I BUY for another. AND for every three finished out of the pile I can then go buy one more. :cool::P:cool: Whew...I think I had better go get to work....I have three right now partially done and hanging on the design wall.

I really got anal about this subject! I made myself an Excel spreadsheet.. I call it my hissy fit list! So my DH won't have a hissy fit if he sees me working n a new project!:P:P Anywho, I made a list of the completed quilts (that I could remember), then a list of competed tops, and a list ones started, but not finished piecing(in progress), and a list of kits waiting for my attention. The problem is, I keep finding more stuff to add to my "in progress" list!!! No Fair! Where did that come from?? or Oh, I remember that! So far, it has helped me finish 2 projects that were OLD!!:P:P That's good, right?? I mean, some of this stuff I don't even like anymore!!:P:P Oh, how our tastes change!

I feel better now knowing I'm not alone. When I first started quilting I would start what I finished before I went on to the next project. Then I got quilting buddies that convinced me it would "be OK" if I had more than one project going on at a time since that's what they were doing. Of course I didn't stop with two. I've made list after list. Some get crossed off when they're done, but then there's another list with ones that aren't crossed off and new ones added. I think it's a vicious cycle. I keep finding more lists, too. Oh my!

Originally posted by patsloan

oh lordy... who started this topic??? I HAVE counted MOST of what I have.. and I've got SEVERAL semi's... counting the bags to become projects.. LOL!!!!

50+ projects in progress, or wanting to start.. and proud of it!

I'm with you...."Proud to know I have more than I need"

By the way loved the radio show with Heidi K.

Originally posted by patsloan

oh lordy... who started this topic??? I HAVE counted MOST of what I have.. and I've got SEVERAL semi's... counting the bags to become projects.. LOL!!!!

50+ projects in progress, or wanting to start.. and proud of it!

Yeah....and you are the reason I started thinking I needed to organize my stash. I hope your organizing is going better than mine! ;)

Originally posted by Bonnie

Well, Sheila....the number I gave was just a rough calculation, so I too will start to put them on a spreadsheet. I really like this idea as well.

My last years thought was I would get ONE quilt from the the UFO, PIG pile done each month ....but like that happened. So maybe I will not put it in stone, but be a bit better about finishing one quilt before I BUY for another. AND for every three finished out of the pile I can then go buy one more. :cool::P:cool: Whew...I think I had better go get to work....I have three right now partially done and hanging on the design wall.

I share a mixture of the ideas out there. I have a spread sheet with my UFO's listed as to when they were started and a line after them - to be filled in when completed. I started doing this about 6 years ago (when I had 120+ qullt blocks, etc. in various stages.) Now I am down to 50 listed projects as of Jan. 2010. This helps me keep focused and I like to check off lists as I do things. I do reward myself occasionally when I finish 2 or 3 UFO's I allow myself to start new ones. But this year I'm also keeping track of fabric used from my stash and I love to see the number of yards grow each week. One day I may have room on my shelf for some beautiful NEW current fabric and only 1 UFO in my closet!! That's my goals for now. They could change before tomorrow!:P:D Dar

I gave a small quilt top to our charity quilting group and that made me feel a tiny bit better. I also gave a pinned six-layered fabric stack ready to cut into stack 'n whack and then a week later I was back over to retrieve it since it would be such a great demo for the Accuquilt GO to cut six layers at a time into triangles. When I told the charity person what I was doing, intending on giving the fabric back again only this time in triangles, she said "that would be a good project for you to quilt for the charity quilts". It's like that sticky paper that I can't get my hands off.

I thought that a UFO challenge in our guild would be a good idea. After five months "they" have all done really well and I haven't finished a single one. Argh!

I did finish three new projects so do I get some points for that? It seems that I am doing better at making things for others than for myself.

Vicki

Having alot of ufo's really doesnt worry me, it is kind of like storing books on a shelf that havent been read, what is the big deal eventually the mood will strike me and I will read it. It isnt like it wont be there later. So, I the more quilts that I have waiting to be done the more I have to choose from next time I want something different to work on. which reminds me I am supposed to be up in my studio quilting. my deadline for our quilt show is just 18 days away but who is counting. lol:o

Originally posted by Chocoholic

.....who has time to quilt on their own quilts?

Amen!! I know...... I NEED to make the time. I have made a list too, not as big as yours thank goodness!!! But I am trying to at least finish all of the tops into piecing, get the binding ready and such..... before I do loose the fabrics or cut it up by mistake!! (as if THAT ever happens!! ;) )

I hope Barb Mayfield sees this and will share her "system" she used when she visited recently and we went fabric shopping. She had a heavy folder with slots for index cards. Each card listed a project and what she needed to purchase to advance the project--whether it was fabric (with yardage and color noted) or a backer (again with dimensions listed), or batting. As each need was filled, it was checked off and the index card was moved across the folder until the project was finished. It was ingenious, portable, and user-friendly. And not on her computer.

I'll email her and ask her to share with us!

Archived